The True Future Of Blender On IRIX, By Ton Roosendaal

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
GeneratriX

Bomb!

Unread postby GeneratriX » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:25 pm

lewis wrote:Cool... would be good to know if your build has the International Fonts working, mine with gcc does not - they don't render at all. I presume this is because something in FTGL is broken. Fixed my particle issue, it was an alignment thing which shouldn't be a problem with MIPSPro, but Hos has committed the fix anyway.

Wanna compare some benchmark type-things when you've got a build?

BTW I wouldn't try gmake -j parallel building, it tends to not work for some reason.

...mmmhhh ...The build was finished about two hours ago, bombing out with:

Code: Select all

17:34:23 (sgifd) IN: "cpp" root@IRIS 
gmake[1]: *** No hay ninguna regla para construir el objetivo `/usr/nekoware/lib32/libfreetype.a', necesario para `/WareRoot/bf-blender/blender/obj/irix-6.5-mips/bin/blender'.  Alto.
gmake: *** [all] Error 1
gmake: Leaving directory `/WareRoot/bf-blender/blender'

Which aproximated translation is:

gmake[1]: *** There is none rule to build the object `/usr/nekoware/lib32/libfreetype.a', needed for `/WareRoot/bf-blender/blender/obj/irix-6.5-mips/bin/blender'.  Stop.

I was working in another task, no time to check it until now... By now I've only discovered that seems I'll need to set my -LANG to:

-LANG:libc_in_namespace_std=on

But no clues by now about the libfreetype error of above... what do you think?

GeneratriX

Re: Bomb!

Unread postby GeneratriX » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:59 pm

GeneratriX wrote:

gmake[1]: *** There is none rule to build the object `/usr/nekoware/lib32/libfreetype.a', needed for `/WareRoot/bf-blender/blender/obj/irix-6.5-mips/bin/blender'.  Stop.

Well, at first glance the path is wrong, since libfreetype.a lives at: '/usr/nekoware/lib' (and not '/usr/nekoware/lib32')... now I only have to find where it is erroneously called.

GeneratriX

MIPS

Unread postby GeneratriX » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:46 pm

I've fixed the path issues, now I only need to fix the 'MIPS4' thingy, since Nekoware is MIPS4, and by default Blender is arranged for MIPS3...

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIPS

Unread postby nekonoko » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:43 pm

GeneratriX wrote:I've fixed the path issues, now I only need to fix the 'MIPS4' thingy, since Nekoware is MIPS4, and by default Blender is arranged for MIPS3...

Yep - I was thinking about compiling Blender myself this weekend with static MIPS3 libraries. I've done it before in the past, I just don't have a lot of spare time right now.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

GeneratriX

Re: MIPS

Unread postby GeneratriX » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:11 pm

nekonoko wrote:
GeneratriX wrote:I've fixed the path issues, now I only need to fix the 'MIPS4' thingy, since Nekoware is MIPS4, and by default Blender is arranged for MIPS3...

Yep - I was thinking about compiling Blender myself this weekend with static MIPS3 libraries. I've done it before in the past, I just don't have a lot of spare time right now.

Hi Neko ;)
...Well, I'm pretty much in the same conditions, actually I only can work on this as a background work, while I'm sourcecoding my apps or replying mails... and then I'm doing the needed changes to the build once it bombs with some error... :P
But I think I'll be pretty much stuck for a while with this one, since I can see that it will take some more time to have a Nekoware/MIPS4 version working... and I'm actually a little bit delayed on my job.
If I have the time, I'll take a look later to see what is needed to achieve a MIPS4 build.
Cheers! ;)

P.S.: If anyone wants to give it a try with a similiar setup, the right steps actually are:

1) Add the environment variables (CShell):

setenv NANBLENDERHOME /Your_Own_Path/bf-blender
setenv MAKEFLAGS "-w -I$NANBLENDERHOME/source"

2) Fix the paths on 'source/nan_definitions.mk' as follows:

export NAN_ZLIB ?= /usr/nekoware

export NAN_FREETYPE ?= /usr/nekoware
export NAN_GETTEXT ?= /usr/nekoware

3) Fix the paths on 'source/Makefile' as follows:

COMLIB += $(NAN_FREETYPE)/lib/libfreetype.a

COMLIB += $(NAN_FREETYPE)/lib/libfreetype.a   
COMLIB += $(NAN_FREETYPE)/lib/libintl.a

4) Run:

gmake

...But of course, previous to the 'gmake' we need to resolve the conflict between MIPS3/MIPS4 libraries to build a MIPS4 binary.

lewis

Unread postby lewis » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:45 am

Incidentally you only need to set those two environment variables if you want to be able to run gmake lower down the source tree - if you're building just by running gmake in the root of the tree they're not nessecary.

Gonna try a MIPS4 build now before I break out ogldebug and go after FTGL. International fonts seem to be broken in the last official build so maybe it's something on my system...

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:16 am

lewis wrote:Incidentally you only need to set those two environment variables if you want to be able to run gmake lower down the source tree - if you're building just by running gmake in the root of the tree they're not nessecary.

Gonna try a MIPS4 build now before I break out ogldebug and go after FTGL. International fonts seem to be broken in the last official build so maybe it's something on my system...

Do you think to take the road to use MIPS3 versions of zlib, freetype, and gettext, compile Blender as a MIPS4 static?
If you do so, let me know how goes all, and the files you have "touched" to have it working. I found the build structure of Blender a little bit difficult to understand by now, since it seems to lack the presence of a centralized way to do changes... ditto: no .configure script for the older NaN Makefile, and a pretty complex three...

But I'll be happy to give it another spin anyway... ;)

gandalf

Unread postby gandalf » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:27 pm

nice that you guys got something to work already... I had always problems with true type fonts, even in official builds: they showed up, but beveling caused artifacts. This also on a sparc with a mesa-based and gcc build.

I personally would prefer a generic 6.5.x build and mips3/mips4. I would hate not to be able to run it on my indigo2 :) and in some future, on my indigo1! but of course intermediate steps can be taken. I think that the official BF version which just run without having to depend on nekoware or freeware was the best thing.

GeneratriX

MIPS4 Build

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:30 pm

gandalf wrote:nice that you guys got something to work already... I had always problems with true type fonts, even in official builds: they showed up, but beveling caused artifacts. This also on a sparc with a mesa-based and gcc build.

I personally would prefer a generic 6.5.x build and mips3/mips4. I would hate not to be able to run it on my indigo2 :) and in some future, on my indigo1! but of course intermediate steps can be taken. I think that the official BF version which just run without having to depend on nekoware or freeware was the best thing.

Hey Gandalf ;)

...relative to my spins with Blender, I'm only lurking on it for a while, to see if I can understand better the build process on it, and maybe learn also a couple lessons from an app with years of development behind.

But I think I'll not be able to produce even a remotely standard build, since my development environment differs quite much from either the standardized in use for Nekoware, or the used on latest Blender's releases for IRIX. Anyway, I enjoy this task on my spare time; and if works fine I'll release a tardist later as an alternative option for those desiring to test it.

As Lewis says, could be really interesting to compare different builds to see which combination/environment works better on different IRIX platforms. But today I was working all the day with my office job without chance to continue my build...

Sir Philip

Re: Feels

Unread postby Sir Philip » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:10 am

I can't agree on that with you!

Sadly, he's right. A good AMD system running XP64 can now pull this off:

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:58 am

Sir Louis wrote:
I can't agree on that with you!

Sadly, he's right. A good AMD system running XP64 can now pull this off:

Well, I think I must put clearest the idea, because I can see that both, you and he, are confussing it. Let's try it:

...Sure, PeeCee(s) are pretty powerful on this days, but also a lot lower quality beasts. PeeCee(s) are pretty cheaper boxes on this days, but also a lot lower quality beasts. PeeCee(s) are pretty comfortable on this days, but also a lot lower quality beasts... but I really can't see on this such a good excuse to drop the IRIX support on every app.

So, if some people chooses SGI, SUN, or Apple instead of PeeCee(s), no matter if we talk about vintage boxes or the more recent ones... then it is not a good reason to keep alive all those software applications giving life to all those alternative hard/soft platforms?
Putting the thing even clearest: I'm trying to help to keep useful for every day work the IRIX/MIPS platform, because I'm an everyday user of it; so, I think my call was dedicated escentially to all those folks with the same feel.

I know that at some point I'll buy a newer workstation, probably a Prism Deskside (maybe I could take these recent offer from SGI for developers); and I already use a couple PeeCee(s) as server boxes. Or maybe I'll buy instead any "good PeeCee workstation" (if these term can be really applied to a PeeCee) Opteron/Athlon64 based... I don't know...
...but it really does not matters here; I'll keep using also IRIX/MIPS boxes on my office, and it is only because:

I like them!

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:47 pm

GeneratriX wrote: I like them!

He will not eat green eggs and ham, like them, like them, Sam I am!

You really can't put a price on good stuff! :wink:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:40 pm

skywriter wrote:
GeneratriX wrote: I like them!

He will not eat green eggs and ham, like them, like them, Sam I am!

You really can't put a price on good stuff! :wink:

Don't know about a price and everyone claims that Windows is now wonderful, but this stewpid (IBM Intellistation, no slouch for a peecee) box just froze up and lost a half hour's work. My slowish Fewel *very* seldom does that. The price was what it cost plus the hassles of not having USB or firewire and PTC dropping further developments so I'm locked forever at WF-2 but ... well .... I'm still using it and probably will be until I give up and change to Sun. If wishes were horses beggars would ride, but if SGI hadn't pissed away most of their energies on stewpidity they could still have a fairly competitive workstation to offer. Smaller marketspace for sure but their stock wouldn't be selling for forty-one cents if they were a viable company.

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:37 am

hamei wrote: If wishes were horses beggars would ride

if apples had teeth, they'd bite back.

lewis

Unread postby lewis » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:58 am

GCC constantly crashes when doing -mips4 builds so that goes out the window.

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”