Photo Editting Software

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Shtoink

Photo Editting Software

Unread postby Shtoink » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:49 am

Is there anyhting that is actually intuitive and useful for editting photos under IRIX other than GIMP and PhotoShop 3?

I have been using PhotoShop for many years, but I really like versions 5.5, 6 and 7, and none of these are availble for anything other than windows or Mac.

I tried using GIMP the the other day and found it to be very limited and horribly painful to use. There is an enorous lack of intuitiveness in the interface and menues. I imagine there is probably a way to dock the windows and make it a little less cluttered, but it still lacks a nice menu system, tools that are common to something like what PhotoShop has. It might take some getting used to, but I find to be just plain ugly.

Another thing that really makes me frustrated is the cursors. In PS when you adjust the brush size the cursor changes size as well. I'd love to have to have an outline of my brush so I can at least see where the heck it's gonna put a spoltch on the image when I click. I don't want to guess at it all the time, I want to know for sure.

I may just have to save some money up and get a new Mac, see if there is a way to run x2x and import my PS session on the Mac to my I2. I sure hope there is something out there that is far easier to use than GIMP and more recent than PS3.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Photo Editting Software

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:13 pm

GIMP takes some getting used to, but it can actually be quite a cool tool. It does have a different interface paradigm than Photoshop so it can seem alien at first, though there's actually very little that you can't do with GIMP once you learn how everything works.

That said, there are other paint/photo programs out for IRIX but there are even more off beat as far as the interface goes. Eclipse is one example ... the demo version allows you to edit photos up to 1600x1600 without a license so you can give it a try and see if it's something you can use.

I use Photoshop 7 under Mac OS X myself.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:44 pm

I love PhotoShop...

I have attempted to use Eclipse before, and yes it is very strange indeed. I wasn't able to accomplish much more than a bunch of uncontrolled mess with it.

I was hoping that GIMP would have some of the nicer brush features and maybe even use the plugins for photoshop. There's a few other things I'd like but this isn't the place I need to ask for all that. I'd actually like to know if something like studiopaint is worth getting for that kind of task. I have not used it before, but I have *tried* to do stuff with Maya. No real luck there.

I guess all the really commonly known image editing program comanies have all left for other, more commonly available hardware. That's just unfortunate.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:08 pm

Shtoink wrote:I love PhotoShop...

Me too ... I do most of my artwork with it (like the mascot characters on the website).
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Charlie

Unread postby Charlie » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:20 pm

There's a few 2d editing packages out there, but they may be a bit OTT for your needs.
Check out:

Liberty Paint:

http://www.libertydesigntools.com/products.html

This is very cool. I believe you it's around $3000 for the paint module alone. There's a full feature, unlimited demo available on the site.

Amazon Paint

http://www.ifx.com/pages/amazon/overview_irix.shtml

I think this is also around $3000

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:56 pm

/me passes out...

Dang! That is big chunk of change.

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:16 pm

Do you think that the creators of GIMP would possible implament some features if I asked them to, or would they just get added to a wish list and gotten to at a far later date?

I'd like to have the brush cursor reflect the size of my brush when I am trying to paint with it. That's one of the things that really frustrates me about GIMP, I can;t tell where I am gonna splotch something ebcause I have no gauge to go by. I'd also like to have some of those wondows be dockable. That would add a much more flexible interface option than just a bunch of junk floating all about like it was some lame Win32 program.

Maybe I should be asking them that and not you guys...

lisp

Unread postby lisp » Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:15 am

Does anyone know whwere a copy of Photshop for IRIX can be obtained for a reasonable price in the UK?
--
lisa

ph0enix

Unread postby ph0enix » Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:56 am

lisp wrote:Does anyone know whwere a copy of Photshop for IRIX can be obtained for a reasonable price in the UK?

I would like to have one too... I've already asked Adobe in Germany, but they told me that old software packages will be completely destroyed... Help us Europaen out! :D

bobflappy

Unread postby bobflappy » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:36 am

ph0enix wrote:
lisp wrote:Does anyone know whwere a copy of Photshop for IRIX can be obtained for a reasonable price in the UK?

I would like to have one too... I've already asked Adobe in Germany, but they told me that old software packages will be completely destroyed... Help us Europaen out! :D

In europe, you can sometimes find photoshop on Ebay in Germany. I've seen this a few times, 2 or 3 months ago.

The problem is that prices can go high : ~75€ to more than 100.

ph0enix

Unread postby ph0enix » Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:44 am

bobflappy wrote:In europe, you can sometimes find photoshop on Ebay in Germany. I've seen this a few times, 2 or 3 months ago.

The problem is that prices can go high : ~75? to more than 100.

Yeah... I tried it a few times but with no luck... it's a hard to find piece of software... :(

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:45 am

I managed to get a copy of photoshop 3. I'll say this.... it wasn't easy and it is so very hard to use. After using 7, 3 seems like trying to tie your shoes with out your thumbs.

akimmet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby akimmet » Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:42 am

Getting Photoshop 3 legally is almost impossible, unless you can get a machine that has a permanant license, even with the boxed version you still need to get it activated by Adobe to print or save.

If you just want the software to try it out in demo mode, don't buy the box, you can get almost the same thing from a HOTMIX cd. HOTMIX 16 has both Illustrator 5.5.1 and Photoshop 3.0.1 on it. And can be found for much cheaper!

There is a crack out there that will allow saving or printing in illustrator 5.5.1 and Photoshop 3.0.1. However, DO NOT ask me for it, or where to find it.

bobflappy

Unread postby bobflappy » Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:38 am

bobflappy

Unread postby bobflappy » Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:40 am

akimmet wrote:Getting Photoshop 3 legally is almost impossible.

Yes it's impossible.

Adobe doesn't support it anymore since... a lot of years!

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”