Lightwave 5.6 oddities...

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
dir_marillion

Unread postby dir_marillion » Tue May 09, 2006 11:20 pm

Hello, Mips3 R4400 here, Irix 6.5.22 and the new fsel does not work with Lightwave 5.6. I have followed the instructions as well.
Still not load or save. Do I need to do something else ?

mia

Unread postby mia » Wed May 10, 2006 6:10 am

Several people reported success, so I think you've done something wrong.

Mia

dir_marillion

Unread postby dir_marillion » Wed May 10, 2006 1:47 pm

I installed Lightwave demo, then I replaced fsel (I backup-ed the original). I made the chmod and I run the command SETUPLW, I loged-out and then csh and my lightwave still has not save (of course it is the demo version still) or load. To be honest, I formatted my hard disk last week, in which lightwave had not also save/load. I thought that it could help, but nothing.

I believe that maybe the problem is that I use 6.5.22 on a R4400/250 which is mips3 processor and maybe the fsel compiled for mips4 processors... or the 6.5.22 has differences from under versions, but I do not have other original IRIX CDs, only 6.5.22.

May I do any changes to fsel, and with which program do you changed it ...?
Last edited by dir_marillion on Wed May 10, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mia

Unread postby mia » Wed May 10, 2006 1:52 pm

dir_marillion wrote:I installed Lightwave demo, then I replaced fsel (I backup-ed the original). I made the chmod and I run the command SETUPLW, I loged-out and then csh and my lightwave still has not save (of course it is the demo version still) or load. To be honest, I formatted my hard disk last week, in which lightwave had not also save/load. I thought that it could help, but nothing.

I beleive that maybe the problem is that I use 6.5.22 on a R4400/250 which is mips3 processor and maybe the fsel compiled for mips4 processors... or the 6.5.22 has differences from under versions, but I do not have other original IRIX CDs, only 6.5.22.

May I do any changes to fsel, and with which program ?

I forgot to mention this is for the FULL version, not the demo one.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Wed May 10, 2006 1:53 pm

Yes, it does look like this is mips4 which is of course an issue:

Code: Select all

[Ryouko:~] neko 154# file fsel
fsel:           ELF N32 MSB mips-4 dynamic executable (not stripped) MIPS - version 1
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

dir_marillion

Unread postby dir_marillion » Wed May 10, 2006 1:54 pm

Excuse me, why the Demo version has the load option enabled (with NewTek's fsel) in IRIX 6.5 ?

The Demo perhaps is not the problem. Is it possible to send me the source (and the command for the compilation) to do it on my Mips3 processor, to check it if it works. Lightwave designed for Mips3 processors too, and it would be nice to run properly to newer Irix versions.
Last edited by dir_marillion on Wed May 10, 2006 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mia

Unread postby mia » Wed May 10, 2006 2:02 pm

dir_marillion wrote:Excuse me, why the Demo version has the load option enabled (with NewTek's fsel) in IRIX 6.5 ?

The Demo perhaps is not the problem.

The demo version can load but not save.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Wed May 10, 2006 2:04 pm

mia wrote:The demo version can load but not save.

Regardless that fsel isn't gonna work if it's mips4 (and it is) :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

dir_marillion

Unread postby dir_marillion » Wed May 10, 2006 2:05 pm

No problem with the save at this point, the load matters. Actually Lightwave tries to do something at "load" (CPU forces to do something) but fails.
Last edited by dir_marillion on Thu May 11, 2006 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

mia

Unread postby mia » Wed May 10, 2006 4:40 pm

dir_marillion wrote:No problem with the save at this point, the load matters. Actually Lightwave tries to do something at "load" (CPU forces to do something but fails).

I'm not sure what's going on, do you need a mips-3 version of fsel, is that what you're asking for?

dir_marillion

Unread postby dir_marillion » Thu May 11, 2006 1:48 am

Yes, If you could compile (for Mips3), it would be nice, to check it if this fsel works to my R4400.

And of course you could give our R4xxx a new life :D

Then I will inform you for the news. I think that Mips3 version should work nice to Mips4 processors, so you can keep this version for use with R4xxx processors and up.

mia

Unread postby mia » Thu May 11, 2006 8:27 am

dir_marillion wrote:Yes, If you could compile (for Mips3), it would be nice, to check it if this fsel works to my R4400.

And of course you could give our R4xxx a new life :D

Then I will inform you for the news. I think that Mips3 version should work nice to Mips4 processors, so you can keep this version for use with R4xxx processors and up.

I have no clue if I still have the source code for this thing, I really don't know, I'd imagine I didn't keep it as it was only 200 lines long or so.

dir_marillion

Unread postby dir_marillion » Thu May 11, 2006 3:38 pm

Ok mia, no problem, as you had made changes to the code of fsel, do you remember with which file you had opened the file fsel ? (I mean with a text editor or with a decompiler ?).

Is fsel Newtek's part of Lightwave or it is an external file selector that can be replaced by an other file selector ?

(It's unbelievable that I cannot make use of Lightwave due to the file selector :lol: )

mia

Unread postby mia » Thu May 11, 2006 5:32 pm

dir_marillion wrote:Ok mia, no problem, as you had made changes to the code of fsel, do you remember with which file you had opened the file fsel ? (I mean with a text editor or with a decompiler ?).

Is fsel Newtek's part of Lightwave or it is an external file selector that can be replaced by an other file selector ?

(It's unbelievable that I cannot make use of Lightwave due to the file selector :lol: )

Wow, I really don't remember, I think I took the original version of fsel, I looked at it and rewrote a new version of it that works, but I forgot what I had to change to make it work. In any case the first thing you need to do is to get the full version of lightwave, then I should eventually be able to rewrite fsel for you, I'll have to take a look at it, but last time took me no more than 2 minutes so it has to be some obvious thing, although I don't remember what at the top of my head.

dir_marillion

Unread postby dir_marillion » Fri May 12, 2006 1:38 am

Hello Mia,
I bought my Indigo2 from a second hand and has the Lightwave pack installed (also it has the .tar distribution in a program folder). This version were working ok with it's licence, but the seller removed it for obvious reasons. So, the Lightwave 5.6 returned to demo version. Would you like to send you by email a specific file from the .tar distribution ?

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”