VRED: blatant commercial

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
MattPayne

Unread postby MattPayne » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:47 am

you would like to see this on an IR4 :) do you have a benchmark that can be run?? id be interested to see just how powerful things have become over the past few years... GFX cards have evolved so quickly its scary!! :) - can a near silent beige desktop equal the KW consuming 7 foot monster of a few years back!!! :)
:Onyx: Onyx Infinite reality, Quad R10k 195, 2gbram
:Octane2: Octane1.5 ;) R12k 400, 2gb, V6, 36gb + 18gb
:Indigo2IMP: Indigo2 R4400 250, 340mb, MaxImpact, 4mb Trams
:1600SW: 1600sw + Multilink x2

Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:52 am

no chance to get this running on sgi iron ... even ati cards fail for various reasons (no hdr filtering yet, gl state trashing, weird optical results and last but not least undefined crashes).

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:42 am

Brombear,

Once again you put my best efforts to shame. Very, very nice!

Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:58 am

Squeen,

your welcome, positive comments from people working in the same domain are always a special pleasure.

Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:47 am

So, decided to put up a new image. If anyone here is at the hannover fair in germany next week, you could see our software (and me) live at the PNY boost (Hall 17 F60). We are showing the car within the picture on a 4 segment mono powerwall driven by a cluster of 4 pc with quadro FX4600 (FX5600 not yet available). Special features are image quality (high antialiasing quality in combination with our material shaders) and speed.

Matthias

Brombear

Just a small update

Unread postby Brombear » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:29 am

Hi there,

just wanted to give a small update that we are still alive and founded a new company together with some 3D guys from berlin. Our new name is PI-VR GmbH and you'll find our website at http://www.pi-vr.de We are now also targeting automobil photographers and the first results can be seen within our gallery.

In the meantime we have extended our raytracer a lot, added some nice features to the OpenGL renderer (geometry lights, ultra high anti-aliasing), added a CAD interface and some things for marketing production rendering ( rendering layers, automated generation of images, etc.) and various other things that I might have forgotten. Even the ATI part of our OpenGL rendering does work now and the new FireGL 7700/8700 rocks like nothing else.

We also have a new product called VservR which is an online server based realtime 3D configurator.

So even if this is good news, there are some bad to share also. Nothing of this will work on your O2 nor your Octane/Fuel and not even on any kind of Onyx :(

Matthias

un_

Re: VRED: blatant commercial

Unread postby un_ » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:23 am

So even if this is good news, there are some bad to share also. Nothing of this will work on your O2 nor your Octane/Fuel and not even on any kind of Onyx

Don't let that stop you showing your work off though :) It really is most impressive.

Good luck with your new company.
:540: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: NeXTStation x 2, A4, A7000, RISC PC

Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:05 am

Some time has passed by and I would like to invite those that attend the hannover fair (20-24.04.2009 in hannover/germany) to join us at the shared booth of pny/nvidia/3dconnexion/cad.de (hall 17 booth F60)

We will showcase a very detailed model of a car consisting of 60 million polygons with a development version showing our global illumination implementation. Some images may be seen at our website already.

Regards

Matthias

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:44 am

Brombear wrote:We will showcase a very detailed model of a car consisting of 60 million polygons with a development version showing our global illumination implementation.

At what point does it get to be easier just to make the car and take a photo ? :P

Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:06 am

hamei wrote:
Brombear wrote:We will showcase a very detailed model of a car consisting of 60 million polygons with a development version showing our global illumination implementation.

At what point does it get to be easier just to make the car and take a photo ? :P

A very good question ... coming from the visualization neadnertal times on onyxes with 120.000 polygons I often ask this myself. But our clients always see potential for improvement. It's just a question how near you want to go.

Speaking of limits ... we just have the limits of the main memory ... current nehalem workstation hardware supports up to 192GB. Our biggest model was 550 Million Polygons using 54GB main memory (all geometry, textures and hdr environments), so if I simply interpolate we should be able to visualize somewhere between 1.5 and 2 billion polygons ... should be enough for airplanes ...

but not enough for industrial complexes like a steel work ... I guess you would need another 10-100-1000x increase in memory :shock:

Speaking of photos ... most of the time the car is not there as physical prototype ... too early in engineering process and of course the rising variety of possible configurations of a car or whatever.

Thomas W.

Digital Production 03/09

Unread postby Thomas W. » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:36 am

at the moment i am reading the new issue of "Digital Production" http://www.digitalproduction.com

take a look at page 74 + 75 :D

VRED Photo 3.2, VRED Professional 3.2

*COOL* :D
:1600SW: :Onyx: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:

Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:12 am

Hello Thomas,

thanks for the compliments, we really work hard for it.

Regards

Matthias

Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:52 am

Since a few months have passed since my last post I would like to give an update.

We are about 2 weeks away from our 4.0 release with the major feature of global illumination which adds quite a lot of realism to interior sceneries. Other than that lots of preparing functionality (selection modi etc etc) so model preparation only takes few days. We have tested our software with big models and found out that 550 million polygons do not slow down raytracing. They consume somewhere around 55GB of main memory so there is quite a lot of room on todays workstations. Nehalem/icore 7 gave us approx 50% more performance.

@Squeen you have been somewhat silent about your project ... hope that you are still improving ... I would like to hear more facts about scaling on your ubercluster. Biggest we tried in the meantime was somewhere around 130 cores ... still way too slow to drive the Sony 4K projector @15hz :)

Matthias

PS: Images can been seen on our website at http://www.pi-vr.de

Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:29 am

I just wanted to post a new picture that was produced today, I hope you like it. Click on Image for full HD resolution

bigD

Unread postby bigD » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:52 am

I know this is an international board and it's dangerous to use idomatic expressions - but that is simply sick, sick, sick. What you guys are doing is nothing short of amazing.
:Onyx2: :Indigo2: :O3x0:

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”