Designing with Irix?

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
GeneratriX

Re: Para Cada DIA...

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:00 am

jdboyd wrote:When I want diagrams for programming (say, state machines, object models, etc), I use a program from AT&T (opensource, not that hard to get onto Irix) called vizgraph. It does a nice job of putting out graphs from a simple text file format. I usually have it spit out postscript files for printing or conversion to PDFs, however, for graphs complex enough to give it some trouble it will spit out Dia files that can then be tweaked in Dia.

Hi JDBoyd ;),

...sounds like a really great way to do the dealt. Anyway, it uses something like <HTML> syntax, or so? ...I don't know these app...

jdboyd wrote:The thing that I really love about vizgraph is that I like to use code generators for various tasks, like state machines. So, I modify the code generator to spit out both C code for the state machine, but also the vizgraph file for the state machine. That way I don't have to worry about there being differences between the printed graphical representation and the C code. I think it's a very powerful way of working.

...mmmmmmhhh... evil man... you're temptting me! :lol: ...I think we could arrange a new entry on Fluid's menues to do the job... but not a lot of time here to new modds on FLTK/Fluid (I was making a lot of this last months to get new Widgets, Events, and Array Types...)

jdboyd wrote:Of course, this is now starting to trail a bit off topic, unless the original poster is really interested in web sites for programming documentation.

Yes; sorry Martin! :lol: ...we are programming addicts! ;)

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:35 am

jdboyd wrote:
hamei wrote:You could always use Illustrator. It has an okay reputation ... :-)

Oh, does that mean they've started issueing licenses for Illustrator on Irix again? Very cool! Even if it is only version 5.5 (which I think is one of the better versions anyway).

You're rattling the bars on purpose, right ? :-)

Screw Adobe. "Stealing" software is not a criminal act. It is a civil offense. The damages are monetary. If the copyright holder refuses to sell the product, then they can't very well claim damages, can they ? Adobe in particular has to be one of the worst offenders against decency in this respect. MANY people with legal licenses have tried to get a new license from Adobe when disaster struck their computers, only to be refused. Adobe was one of the very very few companies which refused to free NeXT applications for individuals when NeXT went tits-up. Overall, they are scum without a leg to stand on if people hack old Illustrator licenses when they want to move it from the old Indy to their new Octane ....

Admittedly, it's not that great a program ... but it's a heck of a ot better than Sodipodi :-)

GeneratriX

NeverStolenMan :)

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:51 am

hamei wrote:
jdboyd wrote:
hamei wrote:You could always use Illustrator. It has an okay reputation ... :-)

Oh, does that mean they've started issueing licenses for Illustrator on Irix again? Very cool! Even if it is only version 5.5 (which I think is one of the better versions anyway).

You're rattling the bars on purpose, right ? :-)

Screw Adobe. "Stealing" software is not a criminal act. It is a civil offense. The damages are monetary. If the copyright holder refuses to sell the product, then they can't very well claim damages, can they ? Adobe in particular has to be one of the worst offenders against decency in this respect. MANY people with legal licenses have tried to get a new license from Adobe when disaster struck their computers, only to be refused. Adobe was one of the very very few companies which refused to free NeXT applications for individuals when NeXT went tits-up. Overall, they are scum without a leg to stand on if people hack old Illustrator licenses when they want to move it from the old Indy to their new Octane ....

Admittedly, it's not that great a program ... but it's a heck of a ot better than Sodipodi :-)

Okay; you have me convinced now Hamei: I'll never refuse the sell of licenses, even if the earth's people needs to be evacuated to travell to the moon or a far-far-away-planet as new home for all... :lol:

Rev.Bubba

Unread postby Rev.Bubba » Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:34 pm

I ahve to throw my 2 cents in and state that I am using an IRIX baox for pretty much the same tasks. Web/2D and typical office tasks. As for Cosmocreate, I find BLUEFISH to be sweet. I would like a very good vector program to use but Gimp and Bluefish are the two key apps for me. There are alot of font issues to resolve but if I can get what I design on the IRIX box to render the saem on a Mac or PC then I am happy.

Cheers
Always act incompetent, so they expect less of you and your job will be much easier.

NauSeuM

Unread postby NauSeuM » Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:56 pm

similarly i use my beautiful octane for web development. although i mostly do back end dev using nedit/vim/ssh/etc, i also use the GIMP.

at the moment i am still using quanta+ forwarded from a linux box for complicated or remote projects, but i am hoping we will be able to get a working quanta+ some time in the near future.
ubi dubium ibi libertas

Sparrowhawk

Unread postby Sparrowhawk » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:44 pm

jdboyd wrote:When I want diagrams for programming (say, state machines, object models, etc), I use a program from AT&T (opensource, not that hard to get onto Irix) called vizgraph. It does a nice job of putting out graphs from a simple text file format. I usually have it spit out postscript files for printing or conversion to PDFs, however, for graphs complex enough to give it some trouble it will spit out Dia files that can then be tweaked in Dia.

Does anyone have a link for vizgraph? I tried google and looking around some of AT&T's research sites but didn't find anything overly useful.

Thanks,

Shawn

jdboyd

Unread postby jdboyd » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:03 am

Sparrowhawk wrote:Does anyone have a link for vizgraph? I tried google and looking around some of AT&T's research sites but didn't find anything overly useful.

Sorry dude, I got the name backwards. It's really graphviz.

http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/

/me looks sheepish.

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”