Maya 5.0

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maya 5.0

Unread postby nekonoko » Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:35 pm

Well it's official, read all about it:

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/produc ... ndex.shtml

I don't think it's actually shipping yet, but I may be wrong.

PDF brochure here:

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/produc ... nmaya5.pdf
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:03 am

Well I must say that it's good to see that they raised the price from 999 back up to 1999 for Complete, and 6999 for Unlimited...

Is $999 for a piece of software just not enough? Or did they realize that lowering their prices now, after many MANY people are so familiar with 3ds max and everything else, that price isn't the biggest issue, the ability to just get work done is?

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:46 pm

I'd seen the Beta screensots of 5 about a month ago...

I see that they had made the Mental Ray renderer integrated as well as a huge laundry list of other improvements. Although, nothing I can see that is worth driving the prices back up to what they were for Maya 4.

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:59 pm

I managed to find a copy of the IRIX B3 of Maya 5 after digging around on thier site.for a bit. Not sure if they want everyone going to thier site and soaking up all the bandwidth, so I will emplore you to find it your selves.

I haven't tested anything out with it yet, just grabbedit tonight.... So, we'll see what happens.

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Thu May 29, 2003 8:05 pm

I have seen some of the renders from Maya5, and I am horribly unimpressed.

Every other aspect of it is cool, but the renders all comw out like junk. The renders in 4.5 look great, but the exact same thing in 5 will come out like turd. Every other part of it is cool, I noticed alot of cleanup with the interface.

I'm not the only one to notice this. I have a couple a friends who are in the business of 3D animation, and they don't like the renders included with Maya5. NOt everything came out all crappy, I saw a few that were of ocean scenes that looked great, but most other things just came out all funky.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:38 pm

Shtoink wrote:I have seen some of the renders from Maya5, and I am horribly unimpressed.

Every other aspect of it is cool, but the renders all comw out like junk. The renders in 4.5 look great, but the exact same thing in 5 will come out like turd. Every other part of it is cool, I noticed alot of cleanup with the interface.

I'm not the only one to notice this. I have a couple a friends who are in the business of 3D animation, and they don't like the renders included with Maya5. NOt everything came out all crappy, I saw a few that were of ocean scenes that looked great, but most other things just came out all funky.

hello,

i think nobody ever favored the native maya renderer.
but who cares?
since 4.5 you can have mental ray for free or use some of the renderman ones...

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:59 pm

They integrated MentalRay and it bites.... IMO

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”