First Render on Octane :) Networking two SGI

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Intuition

First Render on Octane :) Networking two SGI

Unread postby Intuition » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:32 pm

Since it was Superbowl Sunday I decided to just put on the game and finally sit down and network my SGI computers together.

There really isn't much on the web or here on the process of networking two SGI machines to each other.

There is many posts on setting up an SGI machine to see your internet through a hub,
or through another machine that has windows with an internet connection,
but not much on the process of simply hooking up two sgi with a cat-5 cable to a hub and then having them "see" each other.

I finally just starting tinkering and looking around.
I saw that there was a "host" quickfind in the toolchest menus.
I remember finding another post here about pinging the other machines on the network.
So I did the usual
ping 255.255.255.255
and the machines did see each other.

192.168.1.109 <---octane 2x400
192.168.1.105 <---o2 300
192.168.1.150 <---o2 400

So I used these numbers in the "find"
"host quickfind"
on the o2 used "192.168.1.109 .....
Sure enough... it came up... but.. nothing in the list.

OH... ah hah. Thats right. If I right click a folder I see the "share"
So, I went over to the Octane
I have a "downloads" folder that I save things from Nekochan repository to
I share it and set up the permissions.

Sure enough. When I refresh at the hostfind using the Octane IP address.
ding ding ding.
The "downloads" folder shows up in the list.

I did this process in reverse looking for the o2 on the Octane.

Everyone sees everyone. AT least. a predetermined directory that I deem safe to place things in for each computer.

So. I went back to the Octane. Fired up Maya 4. The only Maya I have installed. Maya 6.5 coming shortly.

Tortured myself modeling the SGI logo bug using the old Maya 4 limited modeling tools.
Used the old Maya 4 Software renderer and tried to get a somewhat modern linear sRGB shading/lighting feel.

The Octane 2x400 doesn't eat up the render super instant fast BUT.. much faster than the 400 o2 does and by a little bit more than double.

I can't ever seem to attach pics using Firefox... so I upload/attach them with Seamonkey. Them I use Firefox for regular browsing.
Is the Firefox in Beta better than the "current" one in Nekoware?

Thanks to everyone here at Nekochan I am somewhat capable with these little Irix boxes and feel very familiar with them.

More tutorials coming soon.
Attachments
SGI_Blue_003.bmp
Image O2 - 300mhz
Image O2 - 400mhz :1600SW: 1600sw
:Octane: 2x400mhz :O200: Origin 200 2x225mhz
aka Casey Christopher

Intuition

Re: First Render on Octane :) Networking two SGI

Unread postby Intuition » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:35 am

Looking at render on Windows, I have again realized the difference between 2.2 sRGB and SGI's 1.7-1.8 ish gamma curve.

I am posting this image to see if it posts closer to result on Octane colorspace.

I'll have to send myself the Maya file and see how it renders on windows Maya to see if it is relative in white/black space.
Attachments
SGI_Blue_003.jpg
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:49 am

Intuition wrote:Is the Firefox in Beta better than the "current" one in Nekoware?

Yes, much better. The one in current is a bit buggy, diegel continued to fix it quite considerably and the one in Beta is both faster and more stable.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:01 am

Intuition wrote:Tortured myself modeling the SGI logo bug using the old Maya 4 limited modeling tools.

how did you do it and what would you do differently with a recent maya?

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:13 am

For starters I’d just say that the snaps in 4, whilst workable, are intermittent depending on usage. I can use the middle mouse snap readily but to try and get it to only snap in one plane, which works quite well in even 6.5 wasn’t working as easy.

There is no edge loop in the irix Maya
Only the singular slice/cut poly which is fine but very slow if you need a full loop across many spans. Usually the old school trick is to just count spans that you need amd use the primitive divisions and slide them along the axis you want.

Bridge tool in at least Maya 2008, maybe earlier, allows for a nice averaging bend between two non parallel surfaces. So the 90 degree bends would have been a quick two clicks and slider in the bridge node in the history section stack.

Merge verts works the same as well as extrude.
Was also surprised to see “select perpinicular edges” which is called select edge loop in modern Maya 2008+. Maybe even Maya 8.

You just double click the edge and it selects the loop. I wrote a few modeling tools in Mel back when I was learning Mel and I’m wonderimg if I can make a quick edge loop tool for these old Mayas. I made a “create circle” from edge selection tool in order get nice perfect circle holes in a mesh that would Subdivide evenly. I made it in 2010. Maya 2018 now has it as a standard tool.

Overall you can get to the same place in irix Maya but it just involves some work arounds with a few more steps. Modern Maya is still missing local action centers for polygon island selection.

But I was able to use “transform element” to push/pull faces together on their normal. Pretty consistent function still today. Allowed me to control the thickness uniformly.

For the bug I used a standard cube but separated all the faces and scaled the faces down from each other to create the approximate center squares that each side would have cylinders built around. Snapped one cylinder to the sides of each square poly. Scaled them down to give room for the bends. Then connected the bending ends. But like I said. Snapping worked uniformly instead of singular axis. This may work fine in 5 and 6. Just not 4.0 at the moment on my Octane. I know snap to points and grid work fine. But in later Maya you can Middle mouse drag on one of the axis on the gizmo and it will snap to the parallel item you float over while keeping the selection moving only along the axis you are pulling.
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:03 am

i see. well for the sgi logo i found it more fitting to do it with nurbs.
this was the result with poweranimator 6: viewtopic.php?p=7377596#p7377596

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:33 am

Turned out great. :) Very cool.

Nurbs would be the sane choice in the older Mayas since it was the primary modeling method at the time.
I was just "torturing" myself with the polygon tools to see how it would go. Definitely not the wisest use of time. :)

I did use Rhino for a little while to do some nurbs models and did a few nurbs tutorials in Maya, the one with the skateboard that used to be for Maya 8.5 and survives to this day with versions in the 2011+ dark Maya on digital tutors etc.

I am not sure why I never modeled with Nurbs as much. Probably due to the fact that by the time I started using Maya for regular work in 2006, effects houses using it more and more in Hollywood again vs XSI, Max, or Lightwave, the subdivision/catmull clark idealism had taken route everywhere. Had I been in on the SGI era of VFX in Hollywood, vs making my money in the humble infomercial industry to learn and get by in the 90s, I imagine I would have had more nurbs time. I see your post also has a classic "SGI" purple logo download, I'll have to check it out.
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:20 am

Intuition wrote:Turned out great. :) Very cool.

Nurbs would be the sane choice in the older Mayas since it was the primary modeling method at the time.

but only at the very beginning. at the time of the v4 you mentioned the poly-train was rolling already. and it also depended on the software. prisms for example never had proper nurbs. at least compared to alias while softimage caught up at the nurbs front rather late.

I was just "torturing" myself with the polygon tools to see how it would go. Definitely not the wisest use of time. :)

hehe maybe but sometimes it's a nice challenge to see how far you get without all the toys that are available today. sometimes it even leads to a more direct approach.

I see your post also has a classic "SGI" purple logo download, I'll have to check it out.

yes but that's poly. sort of a 2.5D with prisms' first gen., scanline renderer. but for that it was a good choice. i tried to copy the background image irix 3 had.

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”