SoftImage 3D 4.0 works better in windows than irix ?

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
RobhG

SoftImage 3D 4.0 works better in windows than irix ?

Unread postby RobhG » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:23 am

SoftImage 3d 4.0 of 2002 and still used currently by some animators, works best on Windows NT/XP Professional with graphics card GeForce 2 or 3 that using on SGI Irix? So instead of me buying a SGI Irix Octane 2 or Tezro, should I mount a computer with video card based on 2002?

Intuition

Re: SoftImage 3D 4.0 works better in windows than irix ?

Unread postby Intuition » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:04 am

Softimage 4.0 is only very marginally different than Softimage 3.9.x.

They are 95% the same. There are some new tools in 4.0 but nothing that is going to change the way you work in general.

There are some modeling history features that are neat and new cluster (moving chosen model vertex points all together) features.

But for the most part you are generally looking at mostly the same application between 3.9 and 4.0 in the general sense.

There really is no way of knowing which hardware or operating system is better for Softimage 4.0 because windows NT ran on quite a lot of different configurations that I imagine would be hard to trouble shoot now that we are 15-20 years away from windows NT being supported. You could be assembling a very random computer then trying to find specific drivers for a video card that are impossible to locate.

Vs an SGI with irix which has a very well documented setup/install with very little variation between systems.

The main advantage of a windows system may be that you can get a fast processor/vid card for cheaper than a maxed out SGI. But, I think if your goal is to work on Softimage 3.9 or 4.0 that the Octane2 or Tezro is going to be a much better experience than a PC winNT from the same era if it is meant to be using Softimage 4.0

I mean we were all recommending getting a modern system to learn 3d animation with a modern app. BUT. if since you want to learn Softimage 3|d then an SGI is probably the best option since it was configured specifically to do this task.
Image O2 - 300mhz
Image O2 - 400mhz :1600SW: 1600sw
:Octane: 2x400mhz :O200: Origin 200 2x225mhz
aka Casey Christopher

RobhG

Unread postby RobhG » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:33 am

Intuition, The only software I see currently do a good job Cinema 4d, Carrara 8.5 and DaZ Studio, the Maya and 3DS Max their most stable and best versions were from 1997 up to 2009, from 2010 onwards became undervalued, if ask any user will hear the same thing or even You'll already know this, SoftImage XSI seems like a good choice, but the companies were right about between him and Si 3d, si 3d has a better workflow and render by being more direct, so I'm in doubt, since ILM still used in 2005 SGI and Maya 6.5 , I just think that everything that 3d has done up to 2009 by gaming and film companies, is very appealing to want to use it with the Maya 6.5 in a more modern and fast SGI (Maya).

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:54 pm

RobhG wrote:Intuition, The only software I see currently do a good job Cinema 4d, Carrara 8.5 and DaZ Studio, the Maya and 3DS Max their most stable and best versions were from 1997 up to 2009, from 2010 onwards became undervalued, if ask any user will hear the same thing or even You'll already know this,.

No artist who is professional will support this statement about Maya and Max being better between 97-2009.

I guess you didn't read my previous post about this.

I am not guessing here. I am an authority on the subject. I have worked on many films and commercials since 1995.

I know people who worked on even the films you reference as golden era SGI films.

None of them, nor any person actually living in Hollywood or around LA or any city that produces animation or VFX will agree with your statement.

The latest versions are the best versions.

No version of Maya from 2009 or earlier can synthesize mocap out of box the way Maya can now. Nor can they retarget different sized rigs from one biped to another the way they can now. Nor do they have as many options for render engines, hardware, or OS choices as they do now.

Python is supported far better now than it could have possible been envisioned back then.

Anyone who thinks back then is better then now is delusional or is simply speaking from a nostalgic point of view... which I sympathize with.

I love using my little o2 to make tutorials on and to see how far I can push old software to do modern tricks. That is fun in its own way.

I think the fact that you want to learn with an SGI and have the old school experience is really cool.

BUT.. if you are trying to break into CGI films professionally, you have to use the latest versions of the software and the most modern render engines.

I'll be posting Irix 3D software tutorials again soon. Hopefully that will help you start to get the basics down.

Good luck in your search for knowledge and fun.

If Daz and Carrera work for you then great. They are not professional grade 3d software for film and tv. They are concept art applications for mocking up character ideas and costume or set ideas. Final work is produced in prosumer 3d apps.

When you get your Octane or Tezro and have a 3d application on it I'll try to help. Meanwhile. Just get maya AND Softimage on your SGI and get started learning. We'll go from there.
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:13 pm

Intuition wrote:No version of Maya from 2009 or earlier can synthesize mocap out of box the way Maya can now. Nor can they retarget different sized rigs from one biped to another the way they can now.

one "downgrade" in regards to maya's evolution was the switch to qt. when they did that there was a serious decrease in gui speed and fluidness. just going by the features the current versions do of course have more.

Nor do they have as many options for render engines, hardware, or OS choices as they do now.

well that's wrong except for the 3rd party renderers. today we have the usual win/mac/lin and that only on x86. mips and irix support is gone.
others were even more flexible than maya. in the past houdini has been available for solaris at some point together with irix, linux and windows and the os and hardware support of renderman covered pretty much everything. alias was available for irix, aix and hpux and lightwave had amiga, irix, windows and mac support of which all were completely different. i.e. os as well as hardware.
so compared to the 90s the os and hardware choices have decreased significantly.

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:06 pm

Yes, when it went from 2010 to 2011 the QT slowed down marking menus and the overall UI interactivity.

I was pretty upset about it at first. BUT the way you could kit bash QT ui elements quickly made me forget about it. Over time it has become responsive again although I also miss the generic grey vs the dark motif all the apps seem obsessed with now.

I will say you are also correct if you want to say Mac, PC, Linux, are less OS than when Irix etc was around... but I meant... in overall hardware you don't have to be so specific now. Almost any hardware, OS, software combinations, as well as renderer choices are almost limitless compared to back then is what I meant.

There used to be real limitations in that area where as now there is usually a driver match for any vid card and mobo combo out there.
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:52 pm

Intuition wrote:I meant... in overall hardware you don't have to be so specific now. Almost any hardware, OS, software combinations, as well as renderer choices are almost limitless compared to back then is what I meant.

There used to be real limitations in that area where as now there is usually a driver match for any vid card and mobo combo out there.

oh of course, if you meant single components for the same architecture x86 is much more flexible in that regard. however if you keep it at pro level a quadro is pretty much your only option and whether you have an asus or gigabyte or whatever board doesn't matter because they're all the same. so although there're more products to choose from the diversity is next to nothing.

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”