SGI Irix for CGI ? Summary ! and conclusions?

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
RobhG

SGI Irix for CGI ? Summary ! and conclusions?

Unread postby RobhG » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:38 am

SGI Irix for CGI Summary:
We know that, SGI Irix for CGI can only be possible with Octane 2 or Tezro, correct? and ILM used from 1991 to 2004 or 2005, but still the following questions were:

1: To copy the video files to my modern PC should I use such a NFS, how do I do that?.

2: SGI Tezro would be the maximum potential?

3: Is it advisable to use instead of another PC since current software has the same as the Maya 6.5 (last of Irix) has everything and no bug at all?

I heard that some countries like Japan still use and some places in the United States on TV and in hospitals, liked to see everyone's side of the forum!

theinonen

Re: SGI Irix for CGI ? Summary ! and conclusions?

Unread postby theinonen » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:15 pm

If you are just starting with 3D graphics, then any hardware and software will get you started.

I would not limit myself just for the SGI hardware/software as software also has evolved a lot and many things are much easier today than they used to be. Personally I would start with some stand alone modeller which is focused just for the modelling, before looking into a full blown 3D-software that has too many functions taking the focus away from learning.

I can recommend Metasequoia (Windows / OS X) for modelling as it has very good tools for the job. Armature tool for example is very good as it is very easy to get the basic shape done for organic objects. Is also very good for learning the principles of box modelling.

Example below:

If you can draw a stick figure, then you can model basic shape of dinosaur....

Armature.jpg

Did not find good reference image, so T-Rex skeletor from wikipedia will have to do.

dinosaur.jpg

Eye sockets + eyeballs added and mouth area extruded.

rendertest.jpg

Actually looks pretty good, at least for the minimal effort put into it.
Last edited by theinonen on Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:48 pm

RobhG wrote:SGI Irix for CGI can only be possible with Octane 2 or Tezro, correct?

no. that completely depends on what you wanna do.

and ILM used from 1991 to 2004 or 2005

for 3d stuff ilm used sgi gear until star wars episode 3. but in the 90s sgi was used by everybody in hollywood and other places if they could afford it.

To copy the video files to my modern PC should I use such a NFS, how do I do that?

and how should anybody tell you that if you don't even say which os you have?

SGI Tezro would be the maximum potential?

as far as irix goes, for 3d work an onyx3x00 would be the max.

Is it advisable to use instead of another PC since current software has the same as the Maya 6.5 (last of Irix) has everything and no bug at all?

that's completely up to you. if you want the classic feeling, which i guess is the case since you're here, doing that stuff with an sgi is the way to go.

I heard that some countries like Japan still use and some places in the United States on TV and in hospitals

yeah, for specialized tasks sgis are still around here and there.

RobhG

Unread postby RobhG » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:47 am

foetz, What you said is true, except about ILM, she used still in 2005 in Harry Potter with the Maya 6.5, I repeat, SGI can still be used in CGI!. I can't find the SGI Onyx 3x00, I find everyone else except this one mentioned.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:12 pm

RobhG wrote:foetz, What you said is true, except about ILM, she used still in 2005 in Harry Potter with the Maya 6.5

yeah but that was the exception. they changed most of their stuff to linux for star wars episode 3.
only for 3d tho. for video/film editing sgis were in use for much longer.

I can't find the SGI Onyx 3x00, I find everyone else except this one mentioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_Origi ... _Onyx_3000
there were differet models like 3400 or 3900 hence i used the x there as a wildcard.

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:36 am

RobhG wrote:SGI Irix for CGI Summary:
We know that, SGI Irix for CGI can only be possible with Octane 2 or Tezro, correct? and ILM used from 1991 to 2004 or 2005, but still the following questions were:

RobhG, without wanting to lessen your enthusiasm for this topic obviously close to your heart, please refrain from posting "summaries" of one (other) thread in a new thread. Threads are supposed to be per topic and you post a new thread if you want to talk about a different topic. That's why it makes sense to not go too far off-topic either. We have a subforum called "Everything Else" for doing just that. ;)

I am going to lock this particular thread for the reason stated above. But here some suggestions as to where to take your below questions:

RobhG wrote:1: To copy the video files to my modern PC should I use such a NFS, how do I do that?.

This is a question best posted in "Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks". With an appropriate thread title such as "How to access my SGI files from a PC?" or something like that.

RobhG wrote:2: SGI Tezro would be the maximum potential?

This really belongs in your other thread "SGI IRIX and computer graphics currently? What that should i use ?". It makes much more sense to ask that question there, seen as that is where the question originally seems to come from anyway.

RobhG wrote:3: Is it advisable to use instead of another PC since current software has the same as the Maya 6.5 (last of Irix) has everything and no bug at all?

I suppose this is a question you could post in a thread in "SGI: Computer Graphics", if you really want to discuss this piece of software specifically in terms of its capabilities.

RobhG wrote:I heard that some countries like Japan still use and some places in the United States on TV and in hospitals, liked to see everyone's side of the forum!

And, last but not least, this is a good question for "SGI: Discussion" as it's not specific but general about SGI use today IMHO.

I hope this explanation makes it clear to you why I'm locking this current thread. Try to separate things out a bit, then you (and others) can find and participate in a somewhat more organised fashion. Makes things easier to find, too, when topics stay on-topic in each thread.

Best regards, your friendly mod.
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”