SGI IRIX and computer graphics currently? What that should i use ?

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Intuition

Re: SGI IRIX and computer graphics currently? What that should i use ?

Unread postby Intuition » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:01 pm

Raion-Fox wrote:This has to be trolling. Nobody would be this dense.

There comes a point where you just realize that no amount of explanation is going to help someone OR... being weapons grade trolled.
Image O2 - 300mhz
Image O2 - 400mhz :1600SW: 1600sw
:Octane: 2x400mhz :O200: Origin 200 2x225mhz
aka Casey Christopher

RobhG

Unread postby RobhG » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:08 pm

Raion-Fox, What are you doing? What are you talking about? Don't you advise SGI with current CGI?

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:41 pm

You claim to be interested in CGI production, but seriously are considering what is considered ANTIQUE FUCKING HARDWARE?

A SGI Octane 2, with video card and 256MB of RAM or SGI Indigo 2? is able to make movies and series like the current ones?? Help ?

I don't care that your English is bad because it's understandable and you've remained civil, but everyone else here is already pretty irritated trying to make sense of you.

Nobody in their right mind would engage a full scale production and render on 20 year old hardware for a modern CGI movie. You just don't! It's a liability. The people I know with Onyx2s and Onyx3s in their workforce use them for legacy workloads, and I get to maintain them for a significant amount of money - but eventually they will be retired, and they will be phased out of service. Drive replacements are getting costlier, the nodeboards are burning out (they have spares, but it doesn't matter, eventually all of them will be exhausted)

You'd be better off going to a local computer recycler and piecing machines from their junk heaps, and you'd get better results. My Tezro is a great computer, but it's hilariously much hotter, slower, heavier and less useful compared to my modern HP Z230. It's just a fact of time.

SGI applications are unique, but they are in no way superior to what is available today. More than 20 years of advancements are present compared to a circa 1996-97 Octane. A computer that barely cost $300 (my Z230) is able to do what an entire army of Octanes would take weeks to do.

Don't delude yourself. This venture, especially since you mention using super amateur software like Poser or MMD, is going to end in frustration.
Last edited by Raion-Fox on Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Tezro: Quad R16000 700MHz V12 8GB RAM murasaki
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)

I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.
Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

GRudolf94

Unread postby GRudolf94 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:15 pm

Raion-Fox wrote:This has to be trolling. Nobody would be this dense.

This dude is exceeding all the expectations. I'm gonna go grab more popcorn.
:Indy: R5000@180MHz, 256MB, XL-24, IndyCam
:Indigo2: R10K@195MHz in broken teal case with broken purple bottom, XZ Graphics, missing: RAM, drives/sleds, case bits, PSU; awaiting completion [ATX PSU CONVERSION IN THE WORKS!]
misc: Some Sun stuff, lots of x86 crap, one MSX and a MSX2+, a ZX Spectrum clone, slotloader 400MHz overclocked to 500MHz! iMac G3

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:22 am

like i thought - no SGI experience at all. we've had our share of forum newcomers over the years who fit that bill and were initially convinced that the machines were still competitive ... because a) used in the movies and b) 'hardware acceleration'. combined with the case design this always seems to make for a winning combination.
i do not recall anyone ever being that resilient to the advice given though.

perhaps hands-on experience is the only way to cure this particular obsession. ;)

GRudolf94

Unread postby GRudolf94 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:16 am

I wonder if he has any Unix experience at all. Wait until he discovers SGIs are not "plug in, power on, point and click".
:Indigo2: R10K@195MHz in broken teal case with broken purple bottom, XZ Graphics, missing: RAM, drives/sleds, case bits, PSU; awaiting completion [ATX PSU CONVERSION IN THE WORKS!]
misc: Some Sun stuff, lots of x86 crap, one MSX and a MSX2+, a ZX Spectrum clone, slotloader 400MHz overclocked to 500MHz! iMac G3

RobhG

Unread postby RobhG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:53 am

GIJoe wrote:like i thought - no SGI experience at all. we've had our share of forum newcomers over the years who fit that bill and were initially convinced that the machines were still competitive ... because a) used in the movies and b) 'hardware acceleration'. combined with the case design this always seems to make for a winning combination.
i do not recall anyone ever being that resilient to the advice given though.

perhaps hands-on experience is the only way to cure this particular obsession. ;)

You mean the ones that said A) and B gave up?

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:24 am

RobhG wrote:You mean the ones that said A) and B gave up?

i recall mostly they did or simply vanished, never to be seen again. a few might have bought the hardware and then probably drew the obvious conclusion: that it's a hopelessly outdated platform, neat to indulge in an interest into retro computing, not a tool to get the job done (anymore).

RobhG

Unread postby RobhG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:30 am

GIJoe wrote:
RobhG wrote:You mean the ones that said A) and B gave up?

i recall mostly they did or simply vanished, never to be seen again. a few might have bought the hardware and then probably drew the obvious conclusion: that it's a hopelessly outdated platform, neat to indulge in an interest into retro computing, not a tool to get the job done (anymore).

Maybe it's too much, since ILM used this up to 2005 and MainFrame used up to 2006 and in 2009 too, much of the PlayStation 2 games up to 2009 were all used SGI with SoftImage and Maya (the anime games were all made in SoftImage).

GRudolf94

Unread postby GRudolf94 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:02 am

You delusional thing. In 2005 the old SGI still existed and provided support, but that was nearly 13 years ago. Like raion-fox said, people here are tired of trying to talk sense into your thick head. We'll let you buy one ane then discover it's unusable for actual present-day work.

If you want a SGI so much, buy any of them, but as a toy only.

Also, make sure you can use an Unix system first. It's totally different from a regular PC

RobhG

Unread postby RobhG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:04 am

GRudolf94 wrote:You delusional thing. In 2005 the old SGI still existed and provided support, but that was nearly 13 years ago. Like raion-fox said, people here are tired of trying to talk sense into your thick head. We'll let you buy one ane then discover it's unusable for actual present-day work.

If you want a SGI so much, buy any of them, but as a toy only.

Also, make sure you can use an Unix system first. It's totally different from a regular PC

With a modern PC, what software should I use? Everyone is taking advantage and full of features that are in the same thing as previous versions, full of bugs and confusing interfaces.

GRudolf94

Unread postby GRudolf94 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:11 am

3DSMax, Blender, Maya or whatever should work on a modern PC. The interfaces are always complex on pro software, it's not a "For Dummies" book. Of course most features are the same, there isn't much to 3D modeling other than stitching polygons together and texturing them.

And modern software is always evolving, so any bugs are likely to gradually disappear, opposed to already-obsoleted SGI software.

RobhG

Unread postby RobhG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:50 am

GRudolf94 wrote:3DSMax, Blender, Maya or whatever should work on a modern PC. The interfaces are always complex on pro software, it's not a "For Dummies" book. Of course most features are the same, there isn't much to 3D modeling other than stitching polygons together and texturing them.

And modern software is always evolving, so any bugs are likely to gradually disappear, opposed to already-obsoleted SGI software.

I'm observing Carrara 8.5, it looks great, is that SGI was so used in CGI recently that it may think that it can still be used, such as a octane 2 or Tezro for example, do not know yet, I will see, but maybe I stay with Carrara 8.5 or cinema 4d , these are direct interfaces.

jimmer
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jimmer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:12 am

No amount of asking questions and hoping for the best can replace actual time spent doing work. Stop asking questions, get to work already. That 'current CGI' stuff you keep talking about wont model, texture, rig and render itself.

I suggest everybody ignore you till you start posting WIP shots :)
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12
:O2: bluebox 200Mhz 256Mb AV1+O2Cam

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:30 am

Carrara 8.5 is not bad for the price as it does lots of things, but the user interface is not so great.

I have it installed but must admit have never really used it. Every time I have tried, the dark and confusing interface starts to annoy me and will load Realsoft 3D instead. Much better in every way that counts.

I have already recommended Metasequoia for modelling and will recommend it again.

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”