Softimage Tutorial #1

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
GIJoe

Re: Softimage Tutorial #1

Unread postby GIJoe » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:08 pm

consider mirai (nichimen/izware). ;) a very neat plaything. look it up on youtube if you don't know it yet.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:17 am

Intuition wrote:I will be doing an initial Maya basics and orientation tutorial

skipping maya might be a good idea. there're tons of maya tutorials everywhere and the irix version is no different either. also maya didn't change much over the years.

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:18 am

I have two Maya tuts planned. Primarily an orientation tutorial for 6.5. Though the basics of Maya haven't changed there is much that is quite different in overall setup between Irix and other Maya.

Maya is my primary application at work and has been for over a decade.

One thing I often find with even basic Maya tutorials is that no one really explains the general overall intended workflow idealism behind Maya.
I have shown things to people that had been using it for 5-10 years that they had no idea about and are integral in overall understanding how to approach ideas for getting the most optimal workflow out of Maya. I've watched Gnomon tutorials and have shaken my head knowing full well an "instructor" had been completely oblivious about basic core Maya concepts.

But, worry not. There isn't going to be a long library of Maya tuts. Mainly two different videos.

One for overall Maya basics mixed in with Maya design UI and scene data philosophy.
One for showing the changes between Maya 1 through 6.5 to show how the menus and items changed and how to quickly set them up for
use in a modern fashion.

Many of the current marking menus, particularly the selection sensitive context marking menus did not exist until Maya 2008.
You can still use the basic MEL commands and Marking menu setup to create very similar behavior in Irix maya as well.

BUT... like I said, there will be far more other 3d Apps tuts.

I know Softimage is popular for SGI owners.

I will also do a Mirai tutorial as I have been getting used to it.
It was familiar somewhat because I did use Wings for a about a year before Modo 201 was released.

Lightwave will get some love. Same with Houdini. Man, Houdini is very rough compared to the current version but still very capable.

I am up to speed on Alias though, the renderer included is very limited vs Maya or Softimage's even basic software renderers.

I am on the fence about Blender. It is very capable now days but I've never cared for the UI much. Maya, Softimage, Zbrush, Modo all allow for so much customization in both hotkeys, quickmenus, UI layout, etc that it is very hard for me to deal with 3dsMax, Cinema4d, or Blender where you really just have to learn their layouts and deal with screen space issues.

And I am always open for suggestions for anything I don't know about.
Last edited by Intuition on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image O2 - 300mhz
Image O2 - 400mhz :1600SW: 1600sw
:Octane: 2x400mhz :O200: Origin 200 2x225mhz
aka Casey Christopher

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:29 pm

Intuition wrote:I am up to speed on Alias though, the renderer included is very limited vs Maya

alias' raycaster/tracer is much better than the default maya renderer ever has been. it looks better, has full smp support and is also faster.
in fact that was one of the main reasons why i stuck to alias until maya had mental ray.

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:53 pm

Are you talking about Alias Power Animator? I am looking at plain Alias and the renderer included doesn't seem to have those options. Maybe the one I have installed isn't with the Raytracer?
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:15 pm

Intuition wrote:Are you talking about Alias Power Animator? I am looking at plain Alias and the renderer included doesn't seem to have those options. Maybe the one I have installed isn't with the Raytracer?

the renderer is always the same but depending on the license you have more or less options. late alias versions have 5 renderers in total:
- raycaster
- raytracer
- powercaster
- powertracer

the ones with "power" are just the smp versions. the 5th is sort of a plotter for line drawing style results. there're also additional render features that have to be licensed such as atmospheric effects.

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:59 am

good to hear about mirai! this is probably the last remaining platform where you can still run it as intended. (on windows, the renderer stopped working with XP if memory serves).

about blender: i think i mentioned this before but it's insanely customizable. technically no need to learn the defaults - but changing it all requires effort. look up blenderartists.org and search for maya/silo-esque input setup to have a look. you can add pie menus, right-click context, maya-style hotbox, reorganize the interface and so on.
anyway, i don't think the state of blender on irix is up there to support much of that. :)

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Yeah, modern Blender is very good. Though I never have sat down to use it since around 2005-2007. I was using it's fluid solver as it had a better particle mesher than Realflow for a couple years. Then realflow improved. But, looking at videos today it looks like Blender is as capable as any apps in a generalist sense. The sculpting looks pretty nice and the simulations look pretty good too.

I will probably do a Blender install and see how it is on Irix at some point.

I think I have Mirai on one of my o2s but haven't dove in. Hmm, time to fire it up and look at it.
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”