Softimage Tutorial #1

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Intuition

Softimage Tutorial #1

Unread postby Intuition » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:44 pm

Here is the first of hopefully many SGI Irix based 3D application tutorials I am going to create.

Eventually they will be properly edited with titles and quick keys on screen as I use them.

This first one was just to do something in the meantime for fun to test drive the idea.

Quick keys... in video.

Views

press and hold w = square shows up in middle of four views that you can drag to size them.

Select

press and hold space = toggle select/deselect item on

Scale, Rotate, Translate

x = scale - lmb = x scale only -mmb y scale only -rmb z scale only
c = rotate -lmb = x rotate only -mmb y rotate only -rmb z rotate only
v = translate -lmb = free drag -mmb vertical drag -rmb z horizontal drag

Perspective/Orthographic view navigation.

z = -lmb drag camera -mmb zoom lens -rmb zoom lens
o = -lmb orbit/rotate camera -mmb horizontal orbit -rmb
p = -lmb dolly small -mmb dolly medium -rmb dolly large

EDIT----

I noticed the sound is slightly off but its evenly off for the whole clip.. like a quarter or half second. Its never enough to disconnect what is being said or shown though.
Attachments
Softimage.JPG
Basic_Render.1.jpg
Image O2 - 300mhz
Image O2 - 400mhz :1600SW: 1600sw
:Octane: 2x400mhz :O200: Origin 200 2x225mhz
aka Casey Christopher

def13

Re: Softimage Tutorial #1

Unread postby def13 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:11 am

It's a great video.
Softimage isn't install on my SGI but it's still interresting to watch this kind of tutorial.
Thanks a lot [^_^] !
:Octane2: (in fact a 1.5) mono 400 Mhz - 2Go - VPro V8

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:50 am

Thanks, :)

I will do more on Softimage and am also going to be doing a Maya series as well. I hope to create more vids for all the 3d apps on Irix. I was playing with Ayam3d... very tricky... but also simple in scope. It also has a RIB generator so you can export to Renderman compliant renderers.

I invite anyone to post render tests or feedback on this thread.
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

praetor242

Unread postby praetor242 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:26 am

Great tutorial! :D Nice and basic, which is what I need.

I have a mental illness, and the medications have killed my creativity (which is kinda important if you're a graphics geek). I used to be very creative. So my psychiatrist wants me to do simple creative things to strengthen those creative neural connections. I want to learn SoftImage, so these are perfect!! Can't wait for the next one :D
:O2: - trajan - R5000 180Mhz - 256 MB RAM - 300GB HDD
:O2: - hadrian - R5000 180Mhz - 128 MB RAM - 147 GB HDD
:Octane2: - augustus - R12000 400Mhz - 512 MB RAM - 300GB HDD - VPro6

RobhG

Unread postby RobhG » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:05 am

I love softimage 3.9 and 4.0, its last versions were amazing the last version (of this video) was released in 2002 I have, but a shame I do not have an SGI, I wonder if it is extremely recommendable to use it for professional work in full 2017-2018, even existing 3DS Max, Maya, Cinema 4D, Blender and DaZ Studio? I do not particularly like the current software, full of freshness and unnecessary nonsense, sometimes I get frustrated with so much freshness with current software, the only one that attracted me was daz studio, it's fast, full of plugins and sdk as well as blender, but it only serves for animation and not for modeling, I would like to see the users opinion.

rooprob

Unread postby rooprob » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:44 pm

Really good job!
Easy flow, good capture, great delivery. You obviously know your stuff!

Does Softimage also do skeletal modelling and animation, or was alias/maya of that era the first to combine those with modelling?
:O2: r12 400 mapleleaf :Indigo2IMP: r10 195 IRIS :Cube: NeXT
New Zealand

RobhG

Unread postby RobhG » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:40 am

rooprob wrote:Really good job!
Easy flow, good capture, great delivery. You obviously know your stuff!

Does Softimage also do skeletal modelling and animation, or was alias/maya of that era the first to combine those with modelling?

Yes and the mummy movie is an example of this, I am in doubt in what I use, maya is too heavy, blender does everything Maya does is free and light, but it is very confusing, poser pro is great, daz studio is free but good part of the content for animation is paid, mode is confusing, carrara is paid and SoftImage 3D has been worldwide from 1989 to 2009, what software for character animation? is simply a big mess, I do not know which one to choose.

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:50 am

I have never been a big fan of Blender. I try it here and there every three or so releases. It never quite feels elegant.

It has quite good capabilities though, but after Maya and Softimage, and much later modo... the UI always feels clunky to me.
Though, like I said, the feature list is pretty good.

My favorite is Maya. It is quite versatile. It is used by the industry because it isn't quite like the usual 3d apps where you have a button for things... though Maya does have buttons for things... it is used because it is an open architecture and you basically are doing everything from a name dot attribute workflow. You can hook up attributes to each other in a variety of ways and create elegant solutions for complex problems.

Softimage is right there next to Maya in capability. Though I'd side with Maya just because its a bit more open ended.

Maya is just one of these apps that people fail to understand its context and intended use philosophy. Once the ah hah moment is had about the way it is just a large connection editor you start to see bigger possibilities. Though, this is also true of Houdini. Though Houdini mainly with fx. Maya is such a great character animation tool that only Softimage is right there next to it. Everything else has nice features for 3d animation in general... but once you get into character animation with bones and rigging, Maya and Softimage stand out.

The other factor is render engines. Mental Ray, Vray, and Renderman were the big engines. Vray wasn't available for Maya as a product until 2010. We helped Chaosgroup develop Vray for Maya on Tron Legacy. Vray was perfect for Tron Legacy. Quite fun film to work on too.

But render engines like Renderman and Mental Ray were mainly plugged into Maya and used for many films. I am not sure if Renderman had a Softimage release. I think Softimage was always Mental Ray. Vray was 3d studio Max from 2004 till 2010 when it made a Maya and Softimage release build within the same year. Though I had been beta testing Vray in Softimage since 2008.

Lightwave 3D was this smaller 3d community that always won the TV episodic bids. It had its own native render engine that was pretty fast. Lightwave was split into a modeling software and then the Lightwave 3d app which was the virtual stage, lights, camera, objects, particles, etc.
I had a pretty good Lightwave run in the 90s. There is Lightwave 5 on my SGI I got off ebay. I'll have to do a tutorial on that as well at some point.
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:47 am

Intuition wrote:I am not sure if Renderman had a Softimage release.

it didn't. however for si3d there was softman from animal logic and 3delight was quite popular with xsi.

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:08 am

re: Soft3D for professional work in 2017 - that's not making any sense. for one because you will cry your eyes out if you compare render results from something like arnold (or cycles, vray, corona, ...) with year 2000-style softimage or renderman. you can of course fake a lot but we did have some improvements in all those years after all.

then there's entire workflows that have since shown up (displacement mapping, sculpting, normal-mapping, pixelshader-enabled viewports,...) and whatever has been massively improved over the years (user friendliness and speed of animation rigs and skinning, handling of data channels on geometry, handling of vertex-colors and -normals, output formats,...)

for another because data exchange with other apps on your machine - or just about anybody else on the planet will be a hassle. we did have dedicated translator apps back in the day (okino...?) and it was still an issue.

re: blender. it's indeed totally weird to use out of the box. you can really sense that it developed from some strange inhouse software. it also has some weird concepts (e.g. sharing of materials - unlike any of the usual suspects).
i found it is also the one app that really lets you tweak and customize just about everything. and i know they say that about maya alot ;) but this is going deeper - even the behaviour of keys (selection, navigation, double-taps or hold-keys, or any type of mouse input) can be assigned in any way you want it to - aside from the usual interface customizations. so you can definitely make blender feel familiar - if you can afford to spend the time and read up on what's possible. and debug your configuration because blender does not do the sanity checking for you.

i do doubt however that blender really matches e.g. maya functionality. myself i've transitioned to blender from the autodeks apps and it works well for my use case but i don't think the toolset is as deep or robust if you look closely. no doubt it's feeling alot faster and generally lightweight and has some surprisingly good functionality. also one of the better, functional viewports.

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:45 pm

foetz wrote:it didn't. however for si3d there was softman from animal logic and 3delight was quite popular with xsi.

Oh wow, Animal Logic. Totally forgot about them. When I was working in Venice CA in the 90s I think they had a local office nearby.

They did stuff for the Matrix if I remember correctly. Softman makes sense. Renderman was the only way certain things would be possible to execute in the 90s. What is funny is that I looked up Animal Logic and remember visiting their website about Softman back then... SO.. I do a web search.

And this dead webpage comes up.. BUT yes I definitely visited this site back when it worked.

http://archiv.digitalcraft.org/animallo ... efault.htm
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:50 am

Way to go!
I've subscribed to you, will watch when I can.

I'm a sucker for the old school way of doing things, surely will enjoy it and leave my comment over there.
ImageImage

JacquesT

Unread postby JacquesT » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:57 am

Thanks for the video, have subscribed.
:Octane: wip build - Currently 2xR10000 250Mhz, 640MB RAM, SSI graphics, 18GB 10K RPM HDD. Lucent and HD fan mod.

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”