Final Fantasy Movie SGI, Maya, and Renderman.

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Intuition

Final Fantasy Movie SGI, Maya, and Renderman.

Unread postby Intuition » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Interesting article from Ars Technica about Square using hundred plug SGI machines to produce Final Fantasy movie in 2000.

Maya with Renderman was the primary pipeline.

They speak of using Onyx and Origins as well as many Octane's as workstations.

http://archive.arstechnica.com/wankerde ... iew-1.html
Image O2 - R12K-300 Mhz, 36 GB HD, 384 MB-RAM
Image O2 - R12K-400 Mhz 279 GB HD, 256 MB-RAM :1600SW: 1600sw
:O200: Origin 200 ??? Specs soon
aka Casey Christopher

foetz

Re: Final Fantasy Movie SGI, Maya, and Renderman.

Unread postby foetz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:36 pm

yeah maya + prman was the hollywood standard for many years and still is for a lot of studios. not on irix these days of course.

GIJoe

Re: Final Fantasy Movie SGI, Maya, and Renderman.

Unread postby GIJoe » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:00 am

i have the making-of book for that one. lots of footage. there's a picture of some animator sitting at his desk with an octane placed next to the monitor. remembering the noise that box makes i couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor chap. ;)

they seem to have used mostly eizo CRT's instead of the sgi branded ones and it appears they had a twin setup for some people with one PC and one SGI side by side. photoshop is clearly pictured running on windows for example. i recall them mentioning that some people also had two octanes available to them, depending on the job.

studiopaint 3d is one app they used for texturing and made popular in forums afterwards. that one was a bit like unobtainium to the rest of us. took years to find something that compared to and then eclipsed it.

they also were based in hawaii. life's not fair...

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”