Graphics Question

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Re: Graphics Question

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:47 pm

josehill wrote:I love "interface responsiveness." Hit the return key or click on something on a reasonable IRIX machine, and the machine feels like it immediately starts doing what you asked it to do. On a current laptop, there is an ever-so-slightly perceptible moment where it feels like the machine's mind is somewhere else, probably looking for some kewl visual effect to show you or figuring out a way to send all your personal data to some botnet controller somewhere.

Indeed this feels the case on GaNoU/Leenux and used to be on FreeBSD, until I switched to i3wm on FreeBSD. I still use i3's stacking mode a lot and I want to see if I can somehow enable the 4DWM/CDE mouse over window = active behavior, although i3's vi keybindings are workable for sure. I'm just happy a few pieces of GPL are gone off those boxes.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)

I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.
Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

Trekiej

Unread postby Trekiej » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:44 pm

If I write an application that uses OpenGL, do I not have the choice, depending on what machine it is, to use a software render or hardware accelerated render? I wished I had followed the DirectX and OpenGL on pc video cards back in the 90's to see what actually made them directx or opengl compatible.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:56 pm

The way to force opengl to render in software is to uninstall your video card's opengl capable drivers! :lol:

But no, there is no way you can force it to happen programatically, which is to say, in the opengl source code that you write...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Trekiej

Unread postby Trekiej » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks. :D

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:10 am

TeamBlackFox wrote:
josehill wrote:I love "interface responsiveness." Hit the return key or click on something on a reasonable IRIX machine, and the machine feels like it immediately starts doing what you asked it to do.

Indeed this feels the case on GaNoU/Leenux and used to be on FreeBSD, until I switched to i3wm on FreeBSD.

After extensive research, I've decided that this is because Unix and the Yewnix wannabes on the desktop are braindead crap. Yes, this includes the newly-fashionable bsd's.

4Dwm is possibly responsive due to older software being lighter and, maybe in Irix case, written by smarter people. It is not as responsive on an smp box as I expected, however. In fact, it's disappointing.

There are a couple contributing factors ; the software is often shit written by imbeciles. Both BeOS and OS/2 have well-understood thoroughly documented methods for keeping the interface responsive. That was twenty effing years ago. You would think that knowledge would propagate. You'd be mistaken.

At the operating system level, it seems unbelievable that so few people would understand the difference between a server and a desktop. But what the hell, three hundred and fifty million butt-slapping grunting morons happily threw away four trillion dollars and the soul of the country handing the best friend the US had in the middle east over to our worst enemy, all based on lies a third-grader could see through. So I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

Factoid : Unix handles threading very very poorly. Threads are not preemptive. Priorities are not kicked up, they are downgraded (eventually) if a thread doesn't give way all by itself. This is not that much better than cooperative multitasking. It works about as well, too.

The scheduler sucks. You can verify that by watching the cpu monitor. Processors are not evenly loaded. This is a good indication of a craapy design. 'Throw another processor at it ! That'll fix it !' Unh, yeah.

In short, pthreads are crap.

Loonix COULD have rectified these problems to create a high quality responsive desktop. Then they could have really had The Year of Loonix on the Desktop.

Instead. they created gtk3.

Gag me with a spoon.
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:17 am

josehill wrote:I love "interface responsiveness." Hit the return key or click on something on a reasonable IRIX machine, and the machine feels like it immediately starts doing what you asked it to do. On a current laptop, there is an ever-so-slightly perceptible moment where it feels like the machine's mind is somewhere else, probably looking for some kewl visual effect to show you or figuring out a way to send all your personal data to some botnet controller somewhere.

haha that nails it nicely :P

it's a common problem that the advantage of faster hardware gets consumed by more bloated software which then equalizes the edge you'd actually have. in some cases it's even a step back. however irix and other unix variants are not immune to that either which is one of the reasons why i stay away from everything gtk2.
most programs reach their peak at some point i.e. the ideal mix of features, speed and usability. after that from a developer's perspective whatever you do you can only make it worse. sgi did a great job in that regard by switching to the quarterly 6.5.x updates; only adding or correcting what actually makes sense. only very few companies have ever accomplished that. under those circumstances the user actually benefits from newer machines but as i said that's very rare unfortunately.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:28 pm

foetz wrote:most programs reach their peak at some point i.e. the ideal mix of features, speed and usability. after that from a developer's perspective whatever you do you can only make it worse. sgi did a great job in that regard by switching to the quarterly 6.5.x updates; only adding or correcting what actually makes sense. only very few companies have ever accomplished that. under those circumstances the user actually benefits from newer machines but as i said that's very rare unfortunately.

This is all true BUT there are long-tested, well-documented methods to ensure that a desktop user interface stays responsive. Even if the program itself is a bloated turd, the interface can stay responsive to input. It's tried, tested, and proven over several decades.

Also totally ignored and forgotten.

wtf ? Are all these people writing application software stupid ? Or they just don't care ? Their egos are all so big they are convinced that their program is the only one that counts and the only one which any user deserves to run ? And if it's busy well hell, the user can just wait until it's finished doing what it wants ?

There is something wrong with this situation. Either that or it's true, no one ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

btw, you'll like this, foetz : several people recently have told me they are sick of US software. The German stuff seems to work better, be better designed and tested and more functional.
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:39 pm

hamei wrote:several people recently have told me they are sick of US software. The German stuff seems to work better, be better designed and tested and more functional.

made in germany :P

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”