O2 and Octane2 Display Modes

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: O2 and Octane2 Display Modes

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:08 pm

The V8 does have more memory, okay, a lot more, but it suffers from the infamous pixel clock design error and the V10's geometry engine is twice as fast as the V8...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

jmestrada

Unread postby jmestrada » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:08 pm

I'm guessing maybe I should just hang onto both of them. The pixel clock problem with the V8 seems to only be an issue with monitors that can't display certain modes, or at least that's what I gather. The V8 worked fine with my Samsung SyncMaster 24" monitor running 1920x1200 resolution @60Hz. It was only when I wanted to use my 20" Dell 2007FP monitor that I had all the grief with 1600x1200@60Hz. Or is there more tot he pixel clock issue than screen mode support?

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:29 pm

There's an article in the wiki that points to two of the dreaded pixel clock threads that pretty much hash it all out (that you may have already seen), link: http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/V6/V8_Pixel_Clock_Issues
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

jmestrada

Unread postby jmestrada » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks!

Devil Master

Unread postby Devil Master » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:25 pm

I apologize if this is considered necroposting, but this thread is about something I want to ask. I found this page in the archived SGI site, which lists a lot of modes, and one (supposedly only available on V10s and V12s) has a note that says: "1280x492 at 114Hz available with V6 and V8".
Now, why would SGI include that information in a note at the bottom of the page, instead of the main table? I've read this thread, so I know about the pixel clock bug in V6s and V8s. Is that the reason, i.e. bad faith on SGI's part? As in "The table includes all resolutions we know to be working, and if you happen, by chance, to read the note (but we hope you won't), you'll find information about a feature that should be there in theory, but isn't"?

Also, is that kind of table available anywhere for all other Octane2 graphical solutions (SSI, SSE, MXI, MXE)?

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”