using onyx 3000 infinite reality 3 for bitcoin n=mining

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
8bitlover

using onyx 3000 infinite reality 3 for bitcoin n=mining

Unread postby 8bitlover » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:37 pm

Hello,
I purchased an Onyx2 and an Onyx3000 Infinite Realty Machine at auction. It has been suggested to me that I use them to mine for bit coins. I looked at some tutorials and set up a mining account and wallet, but I don't know much else. Am still trying to get the mouse/monitor to work on the machines and am sure to find other stumbling blocks. In summary, I don't know what to think and whether or not this is a good use of resources (Assuming we are just talking time and that I can afford electricity.) Any advice? If you like the sound of this and especially if you live in the Bay Area and might want to collaborate, please reply.

foetz

Re: using onyx 3000 infinite reality 3 for bitcoin n=mining

Unread postby foetz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:50 pm

these days the only thing that actually pays off for mining are dedicated special gpu based machines

smj
Donor
Donor

Re: using onyx 3000 infinite reality 3 for bitcoin n=mining

Unread postby smj » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:11 pm

I'm in the Bay Area and happy to lend a hand in general, but foetz is right in that CPU mining for Bitcoin has been unproductive for a couple years now - even GPU mining is at best marginal if you're factoring in the cost of electricity. At this point you need task-specific ASIC rigs from Butterfly Labs, KNC, etc. And even there, a new generation is overtaking the previous generation(s) and rendering them less competitive...

Litecoin is still amenable to GPU mining, and there are many other scrypt-based crypto currencies that share that characteristic. But Litecoin has been running long enough that the "network difficulty" factor has risen enough to make CPU based mining markedly less productive.

None of which makes an O3k w/ IR anything less than a great piece of engineering. And running cpuminer for a few hours is no worse a way to verify that all bricks are connected and running properly than running a parallel ray tracing benchmark. Just don't expect to earn enough $COINS to cover the operating costs or anything like that. ;)
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”