particle clipping on ocean surface in Maya

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

Re: particle clipping on ocean surface in Maya

Unread postby hamei » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:54 am

Vladio wrote:As far as the lighting, again, you aren't seeing the whole thing. Not sure what "two suns" you're seeing but there's one directional light that's casting a ray-traced shadow.

In that case, the shape of your boat is all wrong :D

If you look at the shadow of and the light on the foresails, the sun is high in the sky, somewhat to starboard and a little ahead of the bow. But if that's true, where are those shadows on the front end of the deckhouse coming from ? Did the sun move to the stern ? And the shadows of the hull on the water from amidships back to the stern ? Where are those coming from ? Unless it's a paddle-wheel ferryboat with a lot of overhang, you're not going to see that.

Your boat is not heeled over at all. Unless there's a magnetosphygmapulsar drive in it, it's not behaving correctly. Judging from the foresails, it's on port tack. The wind is coming from the left side of the boat. It should be heeled over a good five to ten degrees away from the wind. They don't make non-heeling monohulls. This is going to change everything. And the sun has to be either ahead of the boat or behind it. Unless, like I said, there's two suns on that world :)

Anyone who is used to sailboats will look at that and instantly know it's wrong. They may not put out the effort to understand why, but they will know it's not real.

btw, your foresails are way too close together. And the aspect ratio is impossible, those sails would not work. Where are the sheets ? There's no sign of them anywhere. That's what drives the boat.

Unless MentalRay has gone bonkers you're seeing a true shadow. As I'm looking at the video I have no idea what you're talking about. :)

Then you've never been around sailboats ... they just don't behave that way. Look at some old paintings or photos of the Master Mariner's Race, that might help explain the physics.

Here's a similar boat from about the same angle (and the lighting on the foresails is similar, but the light everywhere else is different. Who is correct, Mental Ray or Mom Nature ? :P ) :

real_sailboat.jpg

If you fix the jibs, add sheets, fill out the hull and heel it over five or ten degrees you'll have a vast improvement. Then look at the wake ... something like the photo shouldn't be impossible. You'll be glad you did ...

(When you move it, they don't move in a straight line, either. Sailboats particularly hobby-horse and sway sideways in a sloppy S-motion as they go over the waves, like a tipsy giraffe. When the hull sways a little, the top of the mast sways a lot. Getting the motion right will make a big difference as well.)
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

Vladio
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Vladio » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:34 pm

I could care less about boating. My ? was about particles not the how authentic the image is. I grabbed a free sailboat mesh and dropped it into a scene that has no value other than keeping my knowledge in maya. None of this addresses my question.
Last edited by Vladio on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box

Vladio
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Vladio » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:37 pm

My apologies, Hamei. I know your hearts in the right place albeit off topic. As I mentioned, I'm still working on this "hobby" of a project. As you can see, the ship's one color too. Nothing has been textured. I've not added any secondary animations yet but will take your suggestions into account when I do. It's something I started to give me something to do during this brutal winter we're having. I definitely know who to ask if there's a technical sailing issue the pops up. :)
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:30 pm

to get this done you could share your scene file. otherwise unless somebody had the same problem by accident helping is very difficult from the outside

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:34 am

Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”