Eclipse problems

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

Re: Eclipse problems

Unread postby hamei » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:58 pm

foetz wrote:alright so under a different account it does at least come up.

Can't tell so much by that tho ... as my normal user self I never waited five minutes for the file to fail to load. It was just a fluke that I left the room for a while as a different user and noticed the main window came back to life. Found out it does the same thing when I am my normal user.
do you run the irix default 1280x1024 or something else?

Pretty close. 3840 x 2400 ... :P

But Geoman has the same symptoms as me .....
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:23 am

did geoman mention his resolution?

anyway i tried a jpg and got the ecio error, too. but it loads normally anyway so that's not it either

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:09 am

my resolution is 1680x1050
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:24 am

foetz wrote:anyway i tried a jpg and got the ecio error, too. but it loads normally anyway so that's not it either

Okay, sounds like we can eliminate that as the main problem.

I erased the entire program, downloaded a new bzip, unzipped untarred and installed fresh.

Same.

Also, one thing I do not like is, preferences -> files, I can set the cache size but it refuses to stay set. Next time I open, back to 0.

That can't be good ....

edit : opened the .EclipsePrefs while it was running. Set cache to 256 megs. Prefs file changed. Closed Eclipse. Cache stayed at 256. Opened Eclipse. Eclipse wrote 0 to the prefs file when it opened (which I am assuming means sets cache to 0). I have 4 gb of memory.

Hmmmm.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:41 pm

hamei wrote:I erased the entire program, downloaded a new bzip, unzipped untarred and installed fresh.

Same.

yeah that's likely something with your system and not so much eclipse itself.
i'll try different resolutions and see if i get any errors ...

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:38 pm

foetz wrote:yeah that's likely something with your system and not so much eclipse itself..

Or something Geoman and I set in Eclipse itself ... Geoman, what are your display properties ? I'm stuck at 8 bit frame buffer depth and software accumulation buffer, but you should be 16 bit frame buffer at least ? And if you look under File -> Preferences -> File and change the cache setting (just tried 128 mb), does it stay after a re-start ?

How much memory do you have ? I'm thinking of pulling 3 gigs of ram to see if that makes a difference. Should be able to use 2 gigs tho, Octanes have always been able to use that much.

I've got

pixel clock 154.16
frame buffer 35.156 mb
accumulation buffer 0
system buffer 17.719 mb

Recondas said it used to work on Tezro, so V12 should function ... ? It's more capable than PhotoShop, so would be nice to get this thing running again :(

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:05 pm

hamei wrote:what are your display properties ? I'm stuck at 8 bit frame buffer depth and software accumulation buffer, but you should be 16 bit frame buffer at least ?
For reference the Octane/Eclipse set up that works is running 2@1600x1200_60, frame buffer depth 16, accum buffer is software only (for pretty much the same reason you're running that way - the 2@ format).
hamei wrote:And if you look under File -> Preferences -> File and change the cache setting (just tried 128 mb), does it stay after a re-start ?
The cache size is set at 32MB - don't recall having ever changed it since it was installed.

hamei wrote:How much memory do you have ? I'm thinking of pulling 3 gigs of ram to see if that makes a difference. Should be able to use 2 gigs tho, Octanes have always been able to use that much.
I think the 2GB ceiling is probably a red herring. This Octane is running 3.5GB.

hamei wrote:I've got
pixel clock 154.16
frame buffer 35.156 mb
accumulation buffer 0
system buffer 17.719 mb
Same stuff from the Eclipse-running Octane:
pixel clock 162.00 MHz
frame buffer 29.297 Mbytes
accumulation buffer 0.000 Mbytes
system buffer 7.469 Mbytes
hamei wrote:Recondas said it used to work on Tezro, so V12 should function ... ? It's more capable than PhotoShop, so would be nice to get this thing running again :(
The tezro (all all the rest of the stuff in the short rack) are temporarily mia until I re-battery the 220v UPS they connect through (or get tired of waiting and skip connecting to the ups altogether).
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:05 am

recondas wrote:[The cache size is set at 32MB - don't recall having ever changed it since it was installed.

This is the thing that has me most concerned ... Eclipse works on proxy images, where are they ? If they are in cache memory, then a cache of 0 would be not good :(

Otherwise, seems like you've eliminated several suspects. Excess memory, for one. And not enough graphics memory for another. Your display settings are even worse than mine ... maybe you should drop the refresh rate back a little :P

I just tried a "make new" rather than importing a jpeg. Made a simple new image, saved it as an rgb. imgview said it had a bad magic number and couldn't display it. So tried saving as a jpg. The extra little window popped up, the rainbow wizzed sideways for about three seconds, then the program locked up solid, all blanked out and never returned. Importing an rgb file did not work either, got a different error message (will try again and post.)

Maybe there is a set of file converting utilities that is missing ? When I installed, I noticed that there were many error messages about ftr instructions not completing, many of them seemed to be conflicts with Maya ? I have Maya 4.02 installed, wondering if the converting process is creating a problem ?

Plus it is s-l-o-w.

The tezro (and all the rest of the stuff in the short rack) are temporarily mia until I re-battery the 220v UPS they connect through (or get tired of waiting and skip connecting to the ups altogether).

If they aren't turned on, the lack of batteries is most likely not a problem :D

Anyway, some questions have been answered. Moving right along, thank y'all. Maybe we could get the NSA to analyze some Big Data to determine how Geoman and I are the same, but different from recondas and foetz ....

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:08 am

If it doesn't remember the cache setting, there could be a permissions problem.

edit : opened the .EclipsePrefs while it was running. Set cache to 256 megs. Prefs file changed. Closed Eclipse. Cache stayed at 256. Opened Eclipse. Eclipse wrote 0 to the prefs file when it opened (which I am assuming means sets cache to 0). I have 4 gb of memory.
maybe it can't read where it is supposed to get the defaults from?
Last edited by guardian452 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:10 am

hamei wrote:When I installed, I noticed that there were many error messages about ftr instructions not completing, many of them seemed to be conflicts with Maya ? I have Maya 4.02 installed, wondering if the converting process is creating a problem ?

on the machine i tested it i didn't install it at all. it's just a copy of the folder from the old machine :P
and i have maya on there too.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:42 am

guardian452 wrote:If it doesn't remember the cache setting, there could be a permissions problem. Maybe it can't read where it is supposed to get the defaults from?

Thought of that. The settings are in $home/.EclipsPrefs . Opened the file while Eclipse was running to check the cache. It was o. Changed it from the program, the file changed correctly. Closed the program, setting stayed correct. Upon re-opening, cache changed to 0 and the file changed to 0.

okay, you little bugger, changed the cache from within the program, checked the number in the prefs file, saved the file, chmod to read-only for everybody. 444 maybe ? Reopened the program, file still said 128 megs but the program said 0. Tried it with 32, 128 (per the photo in the help file), and 256. None stuck.

It could be ignoring the $home/.EclipsePrefs and getting that number from somewhere else ... I'll search.

Yes, the permissions are back to normal now. And EcWatch is running now, too. Not for long but as of this moment, one less thing to fight with.

foetz wrote:on the machine i tested it i didn't install it at all. it's just a copy of the folder from the old machine :P
and i have maya on there too.

That was what I did originally. This app was running on an MXI Octane, no problem. So I leaped to the bad conclusion that it was the V12 ... Tried a fresh install. Same result.

Geoman, are you following ? Anything ring any bells over at your place ?

I have an O2 in the corner with a bad hard disk, maybe time to drag it out and try on that guy. Maybe this tarfile is bad ? Kind of wanted to put 6.3 on that box tho, just for fun ....

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:21 am

Did a virgin install of Eclipse on an Onyx 350 IP with dual V12 heads. Had all the same issues with Eclipse hamei mentioned, got a *long* list of ftr errors as Software Manager finished the install, when a new file is opened or created the resulting windows are mapped in the wrong colors, any windows that overlap Eclipse leave a persistent trail of wrong-colored ghosts when moved. Eclipse runs very slowly - you can watch it draw each element of the open file dialogue panel. If I wait long enough it will eventually create a window/dialogue box/something, but whatever is drawn in a single inappropriate color. The cache setting in preferences is zero and can't be persistently changed.

Other than the error messages I saw in Software Manager, the existing install of Eclipse on the Tezro behaves the same.

I also noticed that the splash screen is blank, and the bit map of the Eclipse logo on the bottom left of the main program panel is also blank. Those elements do display correctly on the V12 Octane. Unlike the V12 Octane that Eclipse likes, the Onyx 350 IP and the Tezro are running all the FF3 and all the newer nekoware prerequisites that go with FF3 - though I don't have the coding skills to draw more than a superficial relationship between those as a source of cause and effect.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:39 am

recondas wrote:Did a virgin install of Eclipse ... the splash screen is blank, and the bit map of the Eclipse logo on the bottom left of the main program panel is also blank ... slow ...

Exactly the same ! Even some stuff I didn't bother to mention !

the Onyx 350 IP and the Tezro are running all the FF3 and all the newer nekoware prerequisites that go with FF3 .

But mine has been doing this for quite a while. The problem predates the new furflop :( It may never have run properly on the Fuel ....

It doesn't recognize IP35 ? I ran pstree at one point and noticed that Eclipse had /sbin/hinv open. Wha ?

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:25 am

so i tried changing the cache and it worked as it should. also ran it under a different user account which was fine, too.
in case it helps, here's my .EclipsePrefs

Code: Select all

#Eclipse -- User State Database
ApplyHidden=N
BrushAir=Y
BrushAngle=0
BrushAntiAlias=N
BrushAspect=255
BrushColor=(255,0,0)
BrushContinuous=N
BrushDelay=33000
BrushGap=0.1500000000
BrushIterative=N
BrushMaxDensity=255
BrushMaxSize=128
BrushMinDensity=255
BrushMinSize=128
BrushNoise=0
BrushProfile=(((0.000000,0.000000),(0.125000,0.125000),(0.340000,0.900000),(0.500000,1.000000),(0.660000,0.900000),(0.875000,0.125000),(1.000000,0.000000)))
BrushRound=Y
BrushSizeLimit=128
BrushTransparency=255
BrushTransparent=N
CacheSize=67108864
CalibrationPath=/usr/Eclipse/util/custom
CanvasBackgroundColor=(0,0,0)
ClipBlendEdge=N
CloneFeedback=Y
CloneSharedMemoryID=-66512788
ColorRange=100
ColorRangeAuto=Y
ColorRangeCeiling=255
ColorRangeFloor=0
Confirm=Y
DlgBlemishAuto=N
DlgBlemishRadius=5
DlgBlemishThreshold=25
FastCursor=Y
FilterPath=.
ImageLibPath=
ImagePath=//temp/aliens_caps
InkFile=SWOP
MapMode=Copy
MaskPath=.
MaxSubSample=3
MinSubSample=1
NewColorModel=RGB
NewHeight=110.0666666671
NewResolution=11.8110236220
NewUnit=Pixel
NewWidth=143.9333333339
OpenByIcon=Y
OverSample=1
PanMode=Fast
PixelsPerMM=11.8110237122
PressureCurveCount=9
PressureCurve[0]=(0.000000,0.000000)
PressureCurve[1]=(0.154812,0.000000)
PressureCurve[2]=(0.255230,0.046025)
PressureCurve[3]=(0.418410,0.146444)
PressureCurve[4]=(0.602510,0.292887)
PressureCurve[5]=(0.750000,0.468619)
PressureCurve[6]=(0.866109,0.631799)
PressureCurve[7]=(0.958159,0.845188)
PressureCurve[8]=(1.000000,1.000000)
Preview=Y
PreviewOnOpen=N
ProofInks=N
RGBRamp1=(255,0,255)
RGBRamp2=(255,190,0)
RGBRamp3=(0,255,0)
RGBRamp4=(0,0,255)
RedoMode=Enabled
RenderAll=Y
SepPreview=N
SeparationFile=
SeparationPath=.
ShapeDir=.
ShapesPreview=Image
StrokeDelay=150000
StrokeDisplay=Y
SubSample=3
SwapCheck=5
TimeProcesses=N
TitleBuild=N
TmpDir=/usr/tmp
TransformOptimize=Y
UndoLimit=100
UndoMode=Enabled
UnsharpEffectLevel=255
UnsharpEffectRadius=1
UnsharpEffectThreshold=0
UseSeparationFile=N
UserUnit=Pixel
ViewPositive=Y
WatchIdle=N
WatchMsg=N
ZoomMode=OneToOne

EDIT: i have the following nekoware installed:

Code: Select all

I  neko_bzip2                    5  bzip2 1.0.6 Burroughs-Wheeler Data Compressor
I  neko_dillo                    3  dillo-0.8.6 A fast, light HTML web browser
I  neko_expat                    5  expat 2.0.1 - C library for parsing XML
I  neko_firefox3                 4  firefox 3.0.19 Mozilla based web browser
I  neko_flac                     2  flac 1.2.1 free lossless audio encoder and decoder
I  neko_fontconfig               4  fontconfig-2.6.0 font configuration library
I  neko_freetype2                5  freetype2-2.4.4 TrueType font manipulation library
I  neko_gcc47                    1  gcc 4.7.1 GNU Compiler Collection
I  neko_gdb                      1  gdb-6.3
I  neko_gdk_pixbuf               2  gdk-pixbuf 0.22.0 Image handling library
I  neko_glitz                    2  glitz-0.5.6 GL based xrender replacement
I  neko_gmp                      1  gmp-4.2.1 library for arbitrary precision arithmetic
I  neko_hexedit                  1  hexedit 1.2.10 hexadecimal editor
I  neko_libjpeg                  2  libjpeg-6b jpeg image format library
I  neko_libpng                   4  libpng-1.2.29 PNG image format library
I  neko_libxft                   1  libxft-2.1.6 X freetype library
I  neko_libxrender               2  libxrender-0.8.4 X render extension library
I  neko_m4                       4  m4-1.4.12 GNU Macro Preprocessor
I  neko_ncurses                  4  ncurses 5.7 GNU Curses Library
I  neko_openssh                 34  openssh-6.1p1 secure rsh, rcp replacements
I  neko_openssl                 23  openssl-0.9.8x Secure Sockets Layer Toolkit
I  neko_p7zip                    2  p7zip 9.13
I  neko_pixman                   2  pixman-0.21.4
I  neko_popt                     3  popt-1.17 command line parsing library
I  neko_render                   2  render-0.8 X render extension headers
I  neko_rsync                    4  rsync-2.6.8 incremental file transfer ultility
I  neko_unrar                    5  unrar-4.1.3
I  neko_unzip                    6  unzip-6.00 UnZip Archive Extraction Utility
I  neko_zip                      1  zip-2.3.1

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:50 pm

hamei wrote: It may never have run properly on the Fuel .... It doesn't recognize IP35 ? I ran pstree at one point and noticed that Eclipse had /sbin/hinv open. Wha ?
Interesting... especially in the light of foetz's mention that
foetz wrote:on the machine i tested it i didn't install it at all. it's just a copy of the folder from the old machine
Anybody here got the ability to peek inside the Eclipse install routine?

Even though the Eclipse install routine didn't announce any pre-install conflicts, it might be worth the time to investigate what happens if the rulesoverride setting is invoked during a fresh Eclipse IP35 install.

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”