Eclipse problems

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
foetz

Re: Eclipse problems

Unread postby foetz » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:33 pm

recondas wrote:If you were running a 3840×2400 desktop and were old enough to be humming a song from 1962 you'd be doin' some serious customization too.

sure but the point is to find out what's causing the problem and lots of custom settings are a hot candidate.

Ok, grab the one off of Pete's FTP and you'll have the same one I used this time (used an copy I had archived for the O350/V12).

alright will do

EDIT: trashed the 2 prefs files i had in my home and trashed my old inst as well. fresh inst using the package i got from the ftp here and guess what, it runs just fine :P
also tried a different account since i did everything as root so far but not different, still runs fine.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:39 am

foetz wrote:EDIT: trashed the 2 prefs files i had in my home and trashed my old inst as well. fresh inst using the package i got from the ftp here and guess what, it runs just fine :P

This is getting aggravating ! foetz, there is something different on your computer to all the rest of us.

Path ? Versions of some library ? If I start it from the debugger, will that tell us anything ? You don't use nekoware, is that right ? So nekoware is not in your path ?

recondas wrote: old enough to be humming a song from 1962

Hey, I caught the Assist singing along with Dionne Warwicke just the other day ... not telling which one tho :P
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:03 am

hamei wrote:Path ? Versions of some library ? If I start it from the debugger, will that tell us anything ? You don't use nekoware, is that right ? So nekoware is not in your path ?

i do have nekoware installed. i posted the list in this very thread.
as for PATHs, none of the eclipse things is part of any of my variables i also don't have any eclipse specific variables set. as mentioned before what i could think of is vswap. eclipse has a tool in its bin dir especially for that so you might wanna run it before starting eclipse. i didn't but i usually use the one from alias for setting that value. either way i do have vswap on.

and once more, what really surprised me is that recondas had the same issues with his ir3. usually we tend to keep the settings we like across systems so the fact that it didn't work with the ir either could be another indicator that it is a specific setting or a combination of specific settings.
so back to what i said already, the next logical step imho would be a try with a fresh, blank irix.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:10 am

foetz wrote:i do have nekoware installed. i posted the list in this very thread.

You're right, I'm stupid. :oops:

Anyhoo, is nekoware at the front of your path ? I'm going to mess with that tomorrow, have to go home now.

I just tried substituting your entire EclipsePrefs instead of editing mine, it just crashes a little faster :?

what i could think of is vswap. eclipse has a tool in its bin dir especially for that so you might wanna run it before starting eclipse.

Just tried that

Code: Select all

fool 2# ./IncreaseVSwap

Setting size of virtual swap space to 8456000 blocks (4228 megabytes).

Press <ENTER> to continue:

No dice :(

That might have helped with the faster crashing tho ...

and once more, what really surprised me is that recondas had the same issues with his ir3.

Yes, that's even more puzzling. Y2k ? Your O350 isn't running back in 1978, is it ?

so back to what i said already, the next logical step imho would be a try with a fresh, blank irix.

Time to drag the o2 out of the closet. I've got a 6.3 disk here but have a vague memory that won't work with the R5-350 ?

I don't like this tho -

Code: Select all

fool 13% /usr/Eclipse/bin/ecio:WARNING -p Not Option
/usr/Eclipse/bin/ecio:WARNING /usr/people/doofus/50_inspection-dept.jpg.pxy Not Option

If Eclipse works on proxy images but can't create them ... ? It does create files with the < image name.pxy > but they are 0 size.

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:22 am

hamei wrote:Hey, I caught the Assist singing along with Dionne Warwicke just the other day ... not telling which one tho :P
Rather than guess I'll just walk on by. :D

Foetz are you running Maya 6.5 on that O350?
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:02 pm

hamei wrote:Your O350 isn't running back in 1978, is it ?

hehe no the date is correct :P

Time to drag the o2 out of the closet. I've got a 6.3 disk here but have a vague memory that won't work with the R5-350 ?

that's pointless, it should be a vpro machine with 6.5

recondas wrote:Foetz are you running Maya 6.5 on that O350?

i did for a short time but everything was inside /usr/aw and not in any of my PATHs so that shouldn't play a role

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:48 pm

foetz wrote:that's pointless, it should be a vpro machine with 6.5

I was going to run it remotely. That'd give the O2 something to do :P

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:42 pm

hamei wrote:
foetz wrote:that's pointless, it should be a vpro machine with 6.5

I was going to run it remotely. That'd give the O2 something to do :P

still a serious difference and not a good idea for getting proper test results.
if you wanna fix this you need to rule out certain things and that's only possible on the same machine. i.e. fresh irix on the same machine tells a lot. if it works there then it's a config issue, if not then something is seriously wrong.

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”