Rendering in Hardware

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: Rendering in Hardware

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:53 am

Uh well Maya has Mental Ray built in so if you're going through the effort of building a render farm I think that's probably what you want to use... 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:38 pm

vishnu wrote:Uh well Maya has Mental Ray built in so if you're going through the effort of building a render farm I think that's probably what you want to use... 8-)

Point. But, MR is pretty slow, though. And I really don't have the space for a renderfarm. Hence the feasibility of doing it hardware.

And power is twice as expensive down here as it was in Anchorage. That kind of matters.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:03 pm

There was Gelato for the Quadro/Tesla. SGI never had anything comparable afaik.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:56 pm

robespierre wrote:There was Gelato for the Quadro/Tesla. SGI never had anything comparable afaik.

There is Liquid ?

And this ...

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/20 ... plugin.htm

No idea how one gets the "Maya Developer Toolkit" but since the source for this plugin is available somehow and it is supported in 64 bit Linux ....
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:08 am

My comment may have been a little too terse. renderman scene files (ribs) probably can be rendered in hardware, but the main reason for using it in the first place is its capability for customized shaders. the RAT can export them and they can be processed by a number of programs like render.c and entropy, not just prman. the sgi gfx hardware, otoh, wasn't designed for running these types of shaders, although it does have interesting capabilities that could be used for trippy effects.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:03 am

vishnu wrote:Yes but unfortunately IRIX versions of Maya don't export to the renderman file format... :roll:

they do. the plugin is called ribExport but it sucks :P

if you wanna do it the renderman way then either go for the original pixar stuff or mayaman. the latter also supports bmrt, entropy and another one i don't recall right now :P

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:33 am

According to Pixar's website current pricing is $2000 for RenderMan Pro Server 18.0 and $1300 for RenderMan Studio 18.0, which they claim is "RenderMan for Maya, Slim, "it", Tractor & embedded renderer." :shock:
Project:
Plan:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:36 pm

obviously not an option here. i'd recommend that scott tries a few things like which parts he'd like to render by hardware and which by software and then decide on a software renderer based on what maya offers.
then assuming that we have some volunteers he could hand out some scene files and textures and we could get started

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:48 pm

foetz wrote:i'd recommend that scott tries a few things like which parts he'd like to render by hardware and which by software...

Maya with VPro does render some of the OpenGL parts in hardware, I'd have to check because I rarely diddle with the advanced settings but I think Maya makes up its own mind about when it does that. Or is that selectable?
Project:
Plan:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:38 pm

no idea if the default renderer does anything via opengl but i'd guess that it isn't much either way

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:41 pm

how can it control what the results are and prevent other apps from writing into the framebuffer? it can't.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:49 pm

According to TFA, the current version of Mental Ray can use graphics hardware (GPUs) for high quality rendering, with support for Cg shaders, Phenomena, order independent transparency, and motion blur.

Furthermore: "The modular SGI™ IRIX® OS–based SGI Origin 3400 server is currently being used as mental images's main platform for the development of its host and thread parallel software products, including the high-performance, photo-realistic rendering software mental ray® and mental matter®, proprietary, highly modular modeling technology." :P
Project:
Plan:

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:13 pm

Looks like that second link was supposed to be this article from 2001. Nice.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:23 am

smj wrote:Looks like that second link was supposed to be this article from 2001. Nice.

I edited out that double-frontslash because I thought it was a typo, but didn't check the link thereafter, thanks for doctoring it up smj!

It is an interesting article, yet more proof that sgi was still hangin' 10 into the early 2000's. Oh how the mighty have fallen...
Project:
Plan:

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:18 am

foetz wrote:obviously not an option here. i'd recommend that scott tries a few things like which parts he'd like to render by hardware and which by software and then decide on a software renderer based on what maya offers.
then assuming that we have some volunteers he could hand out some scene files and textures and we could get started

On it (or will be very soon).

I've been putting together my workstation at home, under some fairly cramped conditions (it's a library table in a walk-in closet—crammed is a pretty good little word for the space). Our little apartment is less than ideal, but I've lived in worse. Two Octanes heat the space very quickly, it turns out. The third just takes up space.

It would help if I could get the NeXT out of here and either into storage or possibly into someone else's hands. (Also the Indy, Indigo, Indigo2, and the Pineapple 'Apple II' clone I have. I did say it was crammed.)
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”