Rendering in Hardware

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: Rendering in Hardware

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:50 pm

scottE wrote:wo Octanes heat the space very quickly, it turns out...

You have both your Octanes on at the same time? Awesome! I remember when Intel first crossed the 1GHz threshold I used to have compiler races between my dual-600 Octane and my 1-point-something GHz Linux box, the Octane won every time, usually by a wide margin. Back in those days using the saying phrase "Unix on RISC" didn't cause everyone in the room to dissolve into fits of laughter... :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:00 pm

vishnu wrote:Back in those days using the saying phrase "Unix on RISC" didn't cause everyone in the room to dissolve into fits of laughter... :lol:

after everything i had to experience with linux/x86 i would laugh in the opposite case :P

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:11 pm

vishnu wrote:
scottE wrote:wo Octanes heat the space very quickly, it turns out...

You have both your Octanes on at the same time? Awesome! I remember when Intel first crossed the 1GHz threshold I used to have compiler races between my dual-600 Octane and my 1-point-something GHz Linux box, the Octane won every time, usually by a wide margin. Back in those days using the saying phrase "Unix on RISC" didn't cause everyone in the room to dissolve into fits of laughter... :lol:

Yep. Both at once. I'd run all three, but I also need to work in that room, and I had to swap the MXE out for SI to keep things reasonable. (Liopleurodon is also only 2x195MHz R10k, so it can just hang out unpowered and hold the unused MXI and MXE boards.)
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:34 pm

scottE wrote:Yep. Both at once. I'd run all three, but I also need to work in that room, and I had to swap the MXE out for SI to keep things reasonable. (Liopleurodon is also only 2x195MHz R10k, so it can just hang out unpowered and hold the unused MXI and MXE boards.)

Interesting! Do you ever power them down? I tend to leave mine up in the winter, but in the summer no way, it's too friggin hot. Maybe if I lived in the Kenai I'd leave 'em up year round though... 8-)
Project:
Plan:

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:03 am

Mostly, things have been off. I use SGI stuff a lot less since drifting away from 3D. I don't expect this to vary from the pattern: I'll get interested in a project, the hardware will see some intense use, but when I'm done, it'll remain off for years at a time.

Summers aren't that hot here, so the heat doesn't matter much then. Winters...have been pretty weird for the past few years. Everything's thawing now. Odd for January.

Nowadays, Apple's hardware serves, in part by being portable (and Cintiq-friendly).
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:44 am

When I ran my octane 24x7 I vented it out a window...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16720700

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:51 pm

guardian452 wrote:When I ran my octane 24x7 I vented it out a window...

Brilliant! I'll have to remember this.

Edited to add: Oh, I should also mention that this room needs the airflow. Mold up here is awful.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:33 pm

scottE wrote:Everything's thawing now. Odd for January.
My friends who live in the Mat-Su said it rained and the roads have turned into hockey rinks...

guardian452 wrote:When I ran my octane 24x7 I vented it out a window...

Holy crap you have an actual hard copy of the Unix Haters Manual! :shock: Can I have it? :mrgreen:
Project:
Plan:

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”