Rendering in Hardware

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
scottE

Rendering in Hardware

Unread postby scottE » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:41 pm

So. I have a project I'm planning. And for a variety of reasons, mostly concerning cost, I'm using IRIX for a small animation project.

What does everyone think about the feasibility of using V12 (which, admittedly, I've yet to acquire to replace the V8 I currently have) to render just in hardware?

Are the better features of Vpro accessible from apps like Maya? Are there other questions I probably should be asking, but, out of ignorance, aren't?

(Yep. I've been away. But I'm back.)
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides

foetz

Re: Rendering in Hardware

Unread postby foetz » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:05 pm

vpro supports some more opengl extensions, has more ram and a faster gpu. for pure rendering it therefore is faster, too.
maya does have that hardware render buffer. just play with it a bit to see if that's what you're looking for. some other 3d programs supported that method as well.

in most cases it's not what you wanna choose for complete images but rather separate parts like particles or wireframe overlays

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:33 pm

foetz wrote:vpro supports some more opengl extensions, has more ram and a faster gpu. for pure rendering it therefore is faster, too.
maya does have that hardware render buffer. just play with it a bit to see if that's what you're looking for. some other 3d programs supported that method as well.

in most cases it's not what you wanna choose for complete images but rather separate parts like particles or wireframe overlays

Gotcha. I think the goal is going to be "acceptable" over pixar-perfect rendering. (Phong shading is pretty acceptable.)

But if the hardware is good for particles, I'm hoping that might be good for water, too.

I still have a bit of work to do before I start making characters (pterosaur and fish anatomy!), and will have to change up the V8 for a V12.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:51 pm

Gotcha. I think the goal is going to be "acceptable" over pixar-perfect rendering. (Phong shading is pretty acceptable.)

yeah then it really comes down to each scene. taking from your comment that the animals are the main thing so you could "cheat" a bit with compositing for the background and some other secondary elements ...

But if the hardware is good for particles, I'm hoping that might be good for water, too.

only stuff like sprinklers and such. if you intend to use maya's fluid effects then you're restricted to software rendering and get ready for some extended render times.

I still have a bit of work to do before I start making characters (pterosaur and fish anatomy!)

hehe nice, sounds like a school project or so

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:07 pm

foetz wrote:yeah then it really comes down to each scene. taking from your comment that the animals are the main thing so you could "cheat" a bit with compositing for the background and some other secondary elements ...

Either that or imagine up lots of fog.

only stuff like sprinklers and such. if you intend to use maya's fluid effects then you're restricted to software rendering and get ready for some extended render times.

Nuts. Well, still better than rendering the whole project in software, though.

hehe nice, sounds like a school project or so

Heh. Hobby, not school, though. I just want to do a scene based around an image from this paper: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0031945

And show off some of the stuff paleontologists are proposing for (quadrupedal) pterosaur flight launching.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:47 pm

"rendering in hardware" was not widely practiced during the SGI era... unless you consider that what a Pixar Image Computer is doing. The (Power) Challenge was for rendering. You should be able to do it, though, by making a connection in the VL between the Graphics source and a Memory sink that writes a file. There are examples of how to do it in the Developer Toolbox.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:49 pm

Oh, sure.

I've done one job where that was the finished result, all with Octane/MXI hardware, because it was so much faster than cpu-dependent rendering, and the client really didn't care about it looking that nicely (they expected an info graphic-style anyway, so it worked well).

Actually, if I had the money, I could probably just take the finished files to a service bureau and let them do the rendering. (That might still be an option in the future.) But for now, this is just going to be a little personal project.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us

jimmer
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jimmer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:30 pm

Service Bureau.... or you could ask nekochanners round the globe to render batches of frames for you... I for one wouldn't mind running redbox over some of yer vertices :)
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12
:O2: bluebox 200Mhz 256Mb AV1+O2Cam

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:04 pm

Just speaking for myself but the version of Mental Ray that comes with Maya 6.5 renders pretty spectacularly even with lots of particles on my V12 equipped Octane2. It might not be fast but it sure is pretty... 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:13 pm

mental ray looks great but is dead slow even without gi or any specials. in that case we might indeed need to put a neko-render-farm together :P

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:59 pm

That would be pretty amazing, honestly.

Well, here's where it starts. Though there are some 3D artists who can go straight to the program and begin modeling (and be fast), I've always needed drawings to begin (and I'm slow):
http://cyrillictypewriter.tumblr.com/po ... 493/doodly
But my fiancée is designing the critter: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbWcZxlCEAAILqZ.png:large
Scott Elyard cgfx.us

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:14 pm

scottE wrote:That would be pretty amazing, honestly.

Well, here's where it starts. Though there are some 3D artists who can go straight to the program and begin modeling (and be fast), I've always needed drawings to begin (and I'm slow):
http://cyrillictypewriter.tumblr.com/po ... 493/doodly
But my fiancée is designing the critter: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbWcZxlCEAAILqZ.png:large

Cuuuuuute! :P
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:55 pm

Thanks!
Scott Elyard cgfx.us

3dchris

Unread postby 3dchris » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:46 am

I'm a Maya user as well and have the exact spec'd machine you are looking at building. As far as features are concerned, I don't think there's any difference between the V8 and V12. It's mostly memory size and speed. You can always do some tests in Maya using the hardware renderer and see what the results are. If you want, I can do some tests for you and post some pics. I don't think Maya takes advantage of the nice hardware accelerated phong shading effect of the V12, but I know that StudioTools does. Let me know if you need help with this project as far as rendering. I'd be down for creating a Nekochan render farm! I don't know how to set one up, but i'm sure there's someone on the forums who does ;)
ImageImage 2xR14k 600MHz, 4.5GB, V12

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:11 pm

hehe cute indeed, looking forward to the first frames.

as for the rendering, we don't need a "real" farm of course. just splitting some frame ranges up amongst each other and done :)
you'd just have to provide all external images (textures, backgrounds ...) and the scene file of course. afaik maya doesn't provide sdl files or something similar so the scene file (.ma please to avoid issues) it is in most cases.
anyway if we should do this each contributor should provide a test render first to ensure they look the same.

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”