3D Studio

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: 3D Studio

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:53 am

But if you model something using Maya 6.5 on Irix, you can open the model with Maya 2012 on Windows, yes? Then you can render it with the Windows version of Mental Ray, yes/no?
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

mia

Unread postby mia » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:31 am

vishnu wrote:But if you model something using Maya 6.5 on Irix, you can open the model with Maya 2012 on Windows, yes? Then you can render it with the Windows version of Mental Ray, yes/no?

In which respect is the new mentalray better? Do you think a difference in rendering (besides maybe cpu time and IO) is significant as far as the final product is concerned?

I've never really done any rendering but on povray, but I'd like to take a look at this.
:Onyx2:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Allow myself to correct... myself. The current version of Mental Ray is 3.10.1.2, released January 17th 2012, the release notes: http://docs.autodesk.com/MENTALRAY/2013/ENU/mental-ray-help/files/relnotes/relnotes.html
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”