...How To Clean Up CAD Blue-Prints To Print Out?

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: ...How To Clean Up CAD Blue-Prints To Print Out?

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:05 am

I have thousands of these pictures, back in those days the boiler plate on our letterhead said (among other things) "the finest machine shop on the globe." Here's the text associated with the picture, and yes the 1942 date is accurate and we did have that paper cup technology (picture attached), and I think the molotov cocktail is just an oil can!

"The gear is assembled with the stand and drilled and reamed for the securing taper bolts used. The drilling is accomplished by an electro-hydraulic horizontal drill unit mounted on a rotary table; the stand and gear assembly being secured and supported by a stationary fixture."

A bit terse but when you know as much about machining as hamei you can read between the lines! :P
Attachments
n-3172.jpg
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:13 am

vishnu wrote:I have thousands of these pictures,

More ! More ! Very cool (imo, at least).
yes the 1942 date is accurate and we did have that paper cup technology

Interesting .... I thought that was fifties. Look at the printing on the cup, too Definitely WW II vintage :D
(picture attached)

If you think the top button buttoned looks dorky, it does, but if you don't button up tight the red-hot chips find their way down the front of your chest, burning their own trail of tears on the way. They also get in your ears and make a sizzling sound. There's nothing like the smell of burning ear in the morning ...
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:42 am

hamei wrote: They also get in your ears and make a sizzling sound. There's nothing like the smell of burning ear in the morning ...

Very painful it is also and that sizzling sound is very scary.

Happened to me once but at least now I know to cover my ears when doing gaswelding in ankward positions.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:48 am

Well I've only been to the emergency room once due to a stupid-ass maneuver I was trying to do on a lathe, but at the height of WWII when we had 11,500 guys machining parts we averaged one lost-time injury per day. :shock:

Here's a better look at our WWII paper cups:
Attachments
coffee_cup02.jpg
coffee_cup.jpg
Project:
Plan:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:44 pm

The banksters caused that war, too. And the one before that. And the one before that.

Are people ever going to learn ?

I'll try to get back on track ... onion, cf the ProCad program in regards to teeth : not so useful even for decorations. In the real world one needs to create 14.5* pressure angle, 20* pa, 22.5* pa would be nice, 25* pa for sure nowadays, and 30* pa for involute splines. One also needs to be able to set the whole depth. There's shaper depth, hob depth, split pitch, pre-grind, pre-shave and splines that I can think of off the top of my head.

Roots should either be flat root or full fillet, need to be able to choose.

I wonder if it will accept non-integer, decimal fractional pitches ? That's common in helical gears.

Circular pitch is an odd inclusion since the only thing that commonly uses circular pitch is wormgears. This program won't draw a wormgear. So what's the point ?

It would be nice if it could draw sprockets - that might actually be useful in the real world because one could make special sprockets on a milling machine with a small end mill. I knew a place making bicycle parts that did that. But it doesn't.

I mean, like too much stuff nowadays, it's kind of neat that you can easily make something that looks like a gear and that would be really nice in Illustrator, for example, but for a cad program, this is really lacking in functionality.

I don't mean to sound like an old grump all the time but sheesh. They went to all the trouble to do half the job. They got the program to where it looked good, then quit. How about making the program really useful ? Not enough proooofit in that ? Or they just don't know what they are doing ?

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Actually it is a separate little program just for making gears available from the website of ProCAD+ author. Online manual is here: http://www.dsnell.zynet.co.uk/PS/ProSpur.html

You can use other pressure angles than 14.5 or 20 by editing the parameter file of program and then unticking both radio buttons, it will then use the value in file. You can change values for addendum, dedendum, fillet and some other things also from there.
Attachments
window0.PNG
Parameter file

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:58 pm

theinonen wrote:Online manual is here: http://www.dsnell.zynet.co.uk/PS/ProSpur.html

I just read the manual, yes, you can override the radio button settings, which makes it a lot more useful. There's still some stuff that could cause problems but consdering there might be a thousand total users of Riscos, it's not a bad deal :D

I wonder why he didn't just use entry fields ? That would have made life a lot easier. Or an entry field with a default number that you can override ? That's pretty common, works okay.

(If you get into this, module sucks for gear teeth. It's upside-down and backwards. Diametral pitch feels difficult at first but after you get your mind around it, it makes much more sense than module.)

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:28 pm

And when you're done machining don't forget to harden the teeth!
Attachments
n-3961-300dpi.jpg
Project:
Plan:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:13 pm

vishnu wrote:And when you're done machining don't forget to harden the teeth!

Your photo is cooler but since we're talking Irix, made this with the O2 .... induction hardening instead of flame but similar idear .... No, the silly transition in the middle was not my idear. I have bad taste but not that bad ! :shock:
induction_harden.zip
(3.51 MiB) Downloaded 61 times

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:20 pm

That's filmed in your shop? Cool! What's the video editor of choice on your fool? Or your o2...

The biggest lathe in our prototype shop is Chinese, from Hunan. For the most part it's a good lathe but there are a couple of forehead-smackers, for one they did not avail themselves of quick swap chuck technology, which means that half the time you're trying to get the job done with the wrong chuck because you don't want to go through the anguish of swapping in the right one, and for another it's almost impossible to put the thing in neutral! A millimeter off center and she creeps. Very annoying when you've got the chuck key in. And for a third the feeds and speeds placard is seemingly written in Egyptian hieroglyphics... :shock:
Project:
Plan:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:04 am

vishnu wrote:That's filmed in your shop?

No, at Taylor-Winfield ...

Cool!

Yes, they were. But since they couldn't return 30% per day on borrowed money and they had real assets, they are now just a gravestone to American capabilities.

What's the video editor of choice on your fool? Or your o2...

I just do resizing, then cut and stitch pieces together. A few titles once in a while. Mencoder works pretty well for that kind of thing.

for one they did not avail themselves of quick swap chuck technology,

They probably make different models. Does your purchasing agent know how to run a lathe ? :D

it's almost impossible to put the thing in neutral! A millimeter off center and she creeps. Very annoying when you've got the chuck key in.

Once upon a time I was doing something on the Monarch when I hear this muffled gurgling clanking noise behind me. We had three Monarchs, my buddy liked the 17" MoriSeiki in the corner. When you hit the go lever it would shit-n-git. The go handle had this weird lockout on it that was a pain so the owner of the shop removed it. You know it's common to have all kinds fof crap sitting on the apron, Morg was tightening the jaws, a box of tool bits on the apron got knocked off, fell down onto the go handle in reverse, grabbed Morg and threw him over the top of the chuck into the chip pan headfirst. Luckily for him the jaws were only sticking out about an eighth inch, so there he was with his head in the chip pan gurgling, the chuck was wacking away at his belt buckle right near the family jewels, tick tick tick, and I was laughing my ass off.

I did turn the lathe off and rescue him.

Don't ever leave the chuck key in the chuck. It is not safe :D

Seriously, I know of another case where a guy had a chuck wrench slammed through his chest. He died. Bad idea to leave the key in, ever.

And for a third the feeds and speeds placard is seemingly written in Egyptian hieroglyphics... :shock:

Take a photo, we can probably make you an rtf file that you could print onto some sticky paper to glue over the heiroglyphics. Of course, if we're feeling mischievous that day ..... :P

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:21 am

hamei wrote:Don't ever leave the chuck key in the chuck. It is not safe :D

Seriously, I know of another case where a guy had a chuck wrench slammed through his chest. He died. Bad idea to leave the key in, ever.

Oh yeah I would never leave the chuck key in unattended, that's the road to perdition. I meant when you're trying to tighten or loosen the chuck and the engine slips out of neutral and starts creeping. Fortunately the lever to engage the engine is a throttle rather than an on/off so when it does slip out the chuck just barely starts turning.

vishnu wrote:
hamei wrote: And for a third the feeds and speeds placard is seemingly written in Egyptian hieroglyphics... :shock:

Take a photo, we can probably make you an rtf file that you could print onto some sticky paper to glue over the heiroglyphics. Of course, if we're feeling mischievous that day ..... :P

Ha ha sadly all I've got is my crappy camera here with me today, it is worse than useless:
Attachments
yunnan_02.jpg
Project:
Plan:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:13 am

vishnu wrote:Ha ha sadly all I've got is my crappy camera here with me today, it is worse than useless:

I meant a photo of the plate with the feeds and speeds :D

Did you need a little bigger machine, for when you want to put your boss between centers and turn his head to a point ?
sparkey.jpg

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:59 pm

That time of the year here in Finland when you have to change winter tires.

I put this here as it looks pretty good for something that was drawn by me in couple hours. I think the tire is good compromise as with too much detail it would only work in bigger sizes.
Attachments
window2.PNG

indyman007

Unread postby indyman007 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:44 pm

vishnu wrote:
hamei wrote:Don't ever leave the chuck key in the chuck. It is not safe :D

Oh yeah I would never leave the chuck key in unattended, that's the road to perdition. I meant when you're trying to tighten or loosen the chuck and the engine slips out of neutral and starts creeping. Fortunately the lever to engage the engine is a throttle rather than an on/off so when it does slip out the chuck just barely starts turning.

vishnu wrote:
hamei wrote: And for a third the feeds and speeds placard is seemingly written in Egyptian hieroglyphics... :shock:

Ha ha sadly all I've got is my crappy camera here with me today, it is worse than useless:

You could just isolate the machine when adjusting of changing the chuck...
:Indy: R4600PC 133 MHz

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”