...How To Clean Up CAD Blue-Prints To Print Out?

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
theinonen

Re: ...How To Clean Up CAD Blue-Prints To Print Out?

Unread postby theinonen » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:32 am

Any progress with your CNC router?

I have been playing with 2D CAD again lately.

Drawing 3D images in 2D CAD is not actually that much different than working with a 3D program. Biggest difference is that you are locked to one view when you are working. I have found that some things are hard to make, but can be faked to create a believable illusion of a real 3D.

Here is a quick test of mine.
Attachments
speaker.JPG
Simple speaker drawing.

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:52 pm

theinonen wrote:Any progress with your CNC router?

Oh yes!, it is almost ready... we only need to finish the power transmission, since the whole structure is almost ready to go. We (since we are building two units at the same time with a friend) used two different kinds of wood for reinforcements, and MDF (18mm and 36mm).

In fact we developed also a set of moddings to extract even more Torque from our line of steppers, by replacing windings and some other parts. I already have many pictures that I could post, but I could want to wait a bit until the thing is finished.

Anyway, I've interrupted this work a few weeks to build (this time just me alone) a couple LPA (Linear Phase Array) loudspeakers for a customer. This is also another very interesting project, that includes eight modules, four for each channel, and around 200 Watts R.M.S. power handling per channel.

theinonen wrote:I have been playing with 2D CAD again lately.

Drawing 3D images in 2D CAD is not actually that much different than working with a 3D program. Biggest difference is that you are locked to one view when you are working. I have found that some things are hard to make, but can be faked to create a believable illusion of a real 3D.

Here is a quick test of mine.

Very interesting!, What is the programme you have used there? I'm actually using just "ArtOfIllusion" for the crude modelling, and "BlenderCAD" for some final touches.

I'm also using "Dia" for some quick and dirty drawings, specially for things as the carpenter work, position of drill holes, etc.

I'll wait your post. Thanks by having bumped again this thread! ;) All the best,
Diego

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:18 am

Will be interesting to see what the finished product looks like.

That speaker project sounds also interesting. Put a picture of a finished speaker, so we can see how your speakers look like.

I have not tried ArtOfIllusion, but it looks to be easy enough to use. Blender is one program I have been planning to learn how to use, but the user interface is quite heavy and does not welcome you to use it.

I used to do some 3D modelling a few years ago with a program called Amapi, and it was pretty good. Used it to design a rollcage for a Suzuki Samurai, and actually did the whole car with it. I have not touched 3D modellers after that.

Last time I tried Dia, it was usable, but it was hard to line up things properly. Does it support snaps nowdays?

I am almost fully switched to RISC OS now, and use ProCAD+ for my 2D work. I also have wProCAD+ in my Windows laptop for printing purposes. wProCAD+ is not free, but worth checking out.

Here is how easily 2D view is turned into a isometric view in ProCAD+
Attachments
2Dto3D.JPG
From 2D to Isometric

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:26 pm

Oops!, sorry, I see it was mentioned a few times along the thread that the programme you used is ProCAD+!

I must say ProCAD+ looks really user friendly by some screenshots I've seen on the net. Of course this is not the case for Blender, but if you learn a bit about the weird GUI, you'll find it works fine. ArtOfIllusion is... well... plain simple, no great hidden features, but I guess good enough for STL drawings. And Dia... is just a simple and lately glorified vector work programme... and you're right: you can't get things very well aligned at all.

So, as you can see... I'm using some tools but I've not ended my search for the perfect tool! :)

Sure; I'll post some pictures from the Speakers and CNC Router... probably very soon for the Speakers, and... not too soon for the CNC Router. You know, I'm working on serveral projects at the same time, I have my daily work, and my family of course claims for time. But I'll post some pictures at some point.

I think for the end of this week, if I'm lucky, I'll have the speakers mostly finished. All the best!
Diego

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:28 am

Here is another example to demonstrate how experience with 3D really helps when you are working with 2D programs.

Can anyone come up with a better or faster way to draw a chess piece like this?
Attachments
Soldier.JPG
Chess piece

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:48 am

theinonen wrote:Here is another example to demonstrate how experience with 3D really helps when you are working with 2D programs.

Very nice, it recalls me a lot some books for methods for drawings that I used to own many years ago!

theinonen wrote:Can anyone come up with a better or faster way to draw a chess piece like this?

I don't think so! :)
...but well, thinking again, I think if you use splines to draw half of the soldier profile, and then you apply a "Revolve" function on any 3D package it could be a bit faster... and not to mention, a real 3D... but I really see your point. In fact, sometimes I really use Dia to do some fake 3D instead of any real 3D package for the exact same reason... the only caveat is: it could not be useful to excite a real CNC Router to get done a real world part. I mean, you could not launch the routing task without a converted STL file or something.

This will be my ultimate goal: to have both things unified, drawings and machinising. But well, it will take another bit to have the CNC ready to go. Thanks to GOD, I think I'll finish the speakers on a couple days or so...

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:24 pm

GeneratriX wrote: ...but well, thinking again, I think if you use splines to draw half of the soldier profile, and then you apply a "Revolve" function on any 3D package it could be a bit faster... and not to mention, a real 3D...

Yes, you are right. Chess soldier and bottle were actually the first things I made, when learning 3D modelling. Still, at least for me it takes some time to get the profile perfect before using the revolve function.

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:48 am

theinonen wrote:Yes, you are right. Chess soldier and bottle were actually the first things I made, when learning 3D modelling. Still, at least for me it takes some time to get the profile perfect before using the revolve function.

Oh, yes. Your statement is still valid. There are many things that can be done with 2D a lot faster than with 3D! Also, there are some 3D apps where one could need to learn a bit more than on a 2D app, before to find the right menues, parameters, and things one could want to use for every day design. That's why I've used Dia to draw my speakers before to make any wood working! ...it would be a nightmare to have BlenderCAD to print out the drawings! :)

But of course; I think both things are required: a handy 2D app and a more sophisticated 3D for the complex tasks.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:05 am

GeneratriX wrote: But of course; I think both things are required: a handy 2D app and a more sophisticated 3D for the complex tasks.

I wonder why the open sores world is so deficient in CAD ? CAD was one of the first areas of commercialization for computing, wasn't it ?

DOS Cadkey 7 in the mid-eighties was 3d wireframe. Pretty easy to use but very capable. Draw a wireframe model in 3d then go into layout mode, choose the views you want and bob's your uncle, there's your 2d prints with hidden lines all removed and everything. Change the model, the print changes along with it. Could do some okay rendering, too. Not a single useless icon to be found, was a really nice program.

I've looked and looked at gnu CAD programs and never seen anyone trying to do anything like that. Seems weird to me.

Oh yeah ... it came on eight 3.5" floppies. A few of those were probably printer drivers.

Btw ... I notice none of your examples are dimensioned. Umm, prints without dimensions aren't very useful :P Good dimensioning is a whole art in itself.

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:06 am

hamei wrote:Btw ... I notice none of your examples are dimensioned. Umm, prints without dimensions aren't very useful :P Good dimensioning is a whole art in itself.

You're right! :)
...this is probably the whole key point that drives me crazy for each design. I use the parametric input on BlenderCAD to give real world dimensions to each object. And same with ArtOfIllusion. But as soon you make a boolean operation, you lost every sign of dimensions for the resultant object! :(

But yes, you're right, for the examples I've posted there are not quotes with dimensions. That's why I use Dia to quote the drawings... I know... I know... this is not the way to do it! :)

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:49 pm

theinonen wrote:Will be interesting to see what the finished product looks like.

And I'll take your suggestion and honor it! And sorry if it looks as a shameless plug... but if you want to look at my latest work you'll have to visit my website! :)

So, here is my new new thingie: DL 253 / LPA 1133 (Dionisos) ...I know some people will like the design, and some other don't... but well, you can't make happy the whole world. The important thing is: I really like the results, since these couple has a sound as good as some speakers with two/three times their cost.

Also, they are rock solid... being built with 32mm MDF, 33 mm pine wood, more than 300 screws, etc. I've required 52 days to physically implement them, without considering at all the time required to design cabinets, filters, correction networks, etc.

If you think there is some kind of ascent reminiscent between my speakers and an Onyx2 Deskside, or something like that... I guess it was just an accident! :D ...or maybe I just spend too much time between computers!

All the best,
Diego
P.S.: all the four pictures are just from the left speaker being rotated. The right speaker is a specularly shaped set to create a perfectly symmetrical setup.

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:59 am

GeneratriX wrote:So, here is my new new thingie: DL 253 / LPA 1133 (Dionisos) ...I know some people will like the design, and some other don't... but well, you can't make happy the whole world. The important thing is: I really like the results, since these couple has a sound as good as some speakers with two/three times their cost.

Looks good, has some industrial style on it.

My Spanish is almost as good as my Swedish, but judging by the price, this seems to be for a serious hobbyist, or a professional and not for a casual music listener.

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:20 am

theinonen wrote:Looks good, has some industrial style on it.

Thanks! ...and yes, you hit right on the nail ...that's the part that I really like better: the industrial style design.

theinonen wrote:My Spanish is almost as good as my Swedish, but judging by the price, this seems to be for a serious hobbyist, or a professional and not for a casual music listener.

Yes, this is a seriously worked speaker system. You can split them out in four modules, three of them for speakers which are equiped with correction networks inside, and one of them for the crossover network which is a crossover-only module, which means it does not includes any kind of extra corrections inside, and the corrections were moved to each independant speaker module... total weight more than 55 Kilos, etc...

This thing sounds like 'Hi-End', but has 'Pro' sound listening levels... so, yes... it is probably for a serious hobbyist that wants the sound pressure of horn loaded speakers, but has a room without enough space for a horn system. I think this is the key point for this model. Perhaps I should move myself to Japan? :)

It also supports around 250 Watts R.M.S. without complains!

GeneratriX

The Amazing FreeCAD Evolution

Unread postby GeneratriX » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:59 pm

It seems you can always revive and old thread... and after all three years is not so much time for an interesting topic like that.

I have no much to say, so I guess it is well if I summarize it a bit: -Anyone else noticed how much evolved FreeCAD on recent months?

Before to say anything else, I'm not saying it is already at the same level than the big commerical contenders out there. But, at least for me, it seems remarkable how useful is. I would like to think that the chance for an IRIX port (at some point) is not fully blocked, but since I will not hold my breath on that (and I'm not using all that much my Octane because I need to give her some hardware/software maintenance before) there is no danger if I think out loud... :)

And considering it is base into the Open CASCADE platform, I guess I'm not risking too much if I say that FreeCAD will be probably the first truly parametric 3D modeler breaking into F.O.S.S. lands as potential industry standard for little shops... and maybe not so little ones too.

So, no much more to say... excepting maybe that the documentation is pretty good, there are some tutorials, everyting being translated into many languages, etc... so, in a general sense it looks every day more promiser. So, is anyone here testing it too?

Happy Easter (In Advance) For All!
Greetz,
Diego

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:48 am

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”