Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:49 pm 

Hi there.

Been reading this most exellent forum now for a little while, and just registered myself. I'm feeling a little bad signing up now when I have run into some problems. Have been planing to do it for a while, but I always get distracted when reading the forum and forgets about it. :)

I just got my own "little" Octane2 with 2GB memory and a V10 Gfx with dual 300Mhz R12k processors, thanks to Ian and his great Sgi Depot (Thanks for everything Ian, been a pleasure *Greetings from Jonas* :P )

My Machine runs great, and despite beeing a Newb on Irix (and Unix in general) it is great fun to poke around and just be on another type of system instead of my PC workstation.

I do seem to have problems in Maya 5.0 when rendering above resolutions of 1024*768 that results in a crash to the desktop with the error message of "Disp 0.1fatal 211501: Interrupted by signal 6 Error" in my Console. I do also sometimes get "Interrupted by signal 11 error" now and then.

I have never had any problems like that on my Maya license I run on my PC, so I really don't know what to do. I was hoping that someone else might know what this can be, and hopefully have a solution.

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

/Jonas

-----------------
Old polygon wrangler

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:39 pm 

Can you post you .ma or .mb file? I can run it on Maya 6.5 on my dual Octane2 and see what comes up. Are you using mentalray or maya software rendering?

Welcome to the community! :mrgreen:

-J

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:44 pm 

Hello there, and thanks for your reply. And nice of you to make me feel welcome. :)

I am using mentalray for rendering. And I know that it isn't my scenes that is doing the crashes because it always crash no matter what I use, I can create a Nurbs ball and just set up the rendering, and once I go over 1024x768 it crash. But if you think you could be able to see something from a .mb file, I would be more than happy to send one to you.

I just have to solve the problem of getting the files of my Octane to my PC workstation first. I haven't really found a way of doing that yet (Total Noob here :P ) But Since I actually got my Octane to go out on the internet yesterday (Hoooray) I might be able to set up a online mail account and mail the file to you. Actually, I'm writing this on the Octane right now. (pure magic 8-) ) I have a network at home, but so far I have no idea of how to make the Sgi computer to show up on my PCs, or the other way around.

I'm working on a new portfolio, and I was hoping to atleast intergrate my Octane in some way in the creative process, so I can brag a little and say that some parts of it was made on a Silicon Graphics computer. hehe. I think it will lend the whole project a little more magic than simply mention that it was solely created on PCs.

As a side note, anyone knows how to make a wacomboard to work on the Octane. It is an old Wacom tablet with serial interface. I have been in the system manager and "installed" it there, but so far I can't get it to register anything from the wacom pencil.

/Jonas

-----------------
Old polygon wrangler

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:36 am 

Ok, I think I know why you're getting the error messages...Is you X server running at 24bits depth? Go through the procedure set out here and check your display properties 'xsetmon' from a terminal as root.

Let us know what you have...

Sorry, cant help with the other bits...Post your networking question in the 'Getting Started' thread...

-Jacques.

PS: Nice tank model on your website...Veeery detailed!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:00 am 

Hello again, and thanks for your time. :) Much appreciated.

As luck would have it, my system was already set as instructed from the link you gave me.
So I did the check to see if my system was really set at true color as the link showed how to do, and my "default visual id" does differ from the one at the link you gave me.

I did try do change resolution on my Vpro10 card down to 1280x1024_60 and sat it at X16 in Xsetmon, and did the check again, but got another number in "default visual id" again. But stuff I render on the system (when using Maya SoftwareRender) does looks like to be in 24bit color, if that has anything to do with it? But there is also a big chance that I have done something wrong anyway, consider I'm such a noob when it comes to Irix. :lol:

**Edit: I did read that link you gave me again, and I think I understand what the default id is for, it shows which "mode" you are running for the moment. And If I look up my Default Visual Id, it should be running in truecolor/24 planes. My id is: 0x3c**

I whish some of my friends was really good at this, but since they also stopped use Sgi stuff about 10 years ago, they have no clue what so ever. I guess they never had any either as me, since we more or less just used Softimage/Alias Wavefront and did our work, we never really cared about how it worked as long as it worked. :P

Regarding the "SpiderTank". Thanks :D
I work on the UVmaps for the moment, and there is so much to map I almost whish I didn't got so carried away when building the damn tank. When fully setup and rigged in Xsi, it is about 2.1 milion polygons. Maybe little more when it is completely UV mapped. :lol:

Ohwell, for the moment being, I'll have to resort to Maya's own softwarerender, to bad, since It really sucks. :(

/Jonas

-----------------
Old polygon wrangler

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:35 am 

I thought I might tell you all that I have solved my problems with the Mentalray crash.. It only took a complete reinstall of the OS and then a carefull installation of Maya again. Now it works really good. Not a single crash yet, stable as a rock made out of extra heavy steel. (?) :P

Very nice indeed. :D

/Jonas

-----------------
Old polygon wrangler

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:00 am 

Excellent! Glad it worked out. Did this sort out your V10 problems as well?

-J

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:07 am 

Hello there. Yeah, nice that everything works now. I have been testing it really good now for a week or so, and it is really stable now. So I guess I can start working on it without fearing that it will crash out on me. Sweeeet :lol:

Regarding the V10 "problems", well, looks like it is me hoping for more performance than it can deliver. It seems that it is about as fast as a Elsa Gloria II pro at the time, and about half the speed of a Wildcat 4210 card. And this is normal. Apparently (I was told) the Vpro series of cards is more about display quality than raw speed. But I have done some tweaking in Maya 6.5 and it works quite nice there now.

All in all, I'm happy with my Octane2, and it brings back memories of how cool it was to do 3D graphics on them back in the days. And that was the main purpose of this Octane. And for this I have to say; mission well accomplished Mr. Octane. 8-)

So, next on the list is faster processor speed for the Octane, then maybe I'll get an Fuel. :P Then I must have a good condition Iris Indigo with Elan Gfx (My first contact with Sgi was with one of these, and I was extremely impressed, was working with a maxed out Amiga 4000 at the time, and the Amiga felt really crap when I saw how the Indigo could handle real time 3D)

/Jonas

-----------------
Old polygon wrangler

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:39 am 

sgtprobe wrote:
But I have done some tweaking in Maya 6.5 and it works quite nice there now.

Then I must have a good condition Iris Indigo with Elan Gfx (My first contact with Sgi was with one of these, and I was extremely impressed, was working with a maxed out Amiga 4000 at the time, and the Amiga felt really crap when I saw how the Indigo could handle real time 3D)

/Jonas

Care to share the Maya tweaks? Are they speed related, or just interface?

I had an Amiga 1200...I will always have fond memories of that machine, no matter how slow it ran on it's 14Mhz 68020...And with only 2mb chipmem! :P I started there in Real3D and Imagine 2.0....Ah, How I longed for a A4000 Video Toaster box!!!

-Jacques.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:24 am 

Hello, what I did in Maya is probably just the ordinary speed tweaking. Making sure to have Backface Culling on, and turn of two sided lightning. Plus make sure to set interactive shading on, so it switches to wireframe when you are moving your geometry/cameras around. Helps a lot to speed it up, but I guess everybody does this anyway. :) You can also turn fast interaction on too.

Mmm, yeah, I had an A1200 too. Loved that computer, but it got impossible to use after awhile when using fast accelerators in it, overheated easily and such. So I got myself an A4000 eventually, made a lot of things easier when upgrading and using it. But the A1200 was a lot sexier in my mind. I started out in a program that was called Turbo silver, I think. Then I went on with Imagine and finally Lightwave 3D. I always wanted to learn how to use Real 3D, but never got the time to do so. :(

/Jonas

-----------------
Old polygon wrangler

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:48 pm 

hellou, sgtprobe, i visited your nice portfolio site -keep up the good work, i see you worked on game development and graphics. you told that ur team used alias wavefront tools, do you used octane-class machines back then ? or something else ? are you using Irix Maya for something "useful" or only for fun ? especially with mental ray, i`m asking that because every time i start something "serious" on Irix M i end up on winblows with 50% job done [mostly solids], because of missing this and that. the thing i miss the most is the Physical Sun and Sky with FG. and mia_materials ,,,,,,, what`s your experience on such things ?

Cheers, and good luck !

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:37 am 

Hello there Cybercow.

Thanks, I'm working with the UV map right now on the "Legged" tank, which seems to take forever since there is so much detail. But It's going forward, I'm basically done with the turret. Just the Gun barrel and the M2HB left to UV map on that. Then it's the chassis turn. (Oh my God, will it never end?) :P

Actually, when I was using Sgi back then, I used Softimage 3D, and so did most of my friends, except a few who used Alias/Maya. I did mostly animation and used another company's Octane, so it was not mine, as it was way to expensive for me then as I did mostly freelance work. So except those times I mostly used Windows machines running on specialized PC hardware like Intergraph and such, or bog standard PCs with different pro graphics cards in. So, running Softimage 3D I did most of the renders in Metalray, both on the Windows and on Irix.

Today, my Octane with Maya on it, is most for fun, but I am hoping that I can integrate it into my working pipeline and produce something useful with it. My plan is that I will build a "dropship" in Irix Maya, and then export it to my Pc where I will use it in Xsi where I will complete my new portfolio "movie/demo reel" in. I do have an Old Maya license on PC, but I never use it since my primary tools are Xsi and Modo. Well, except that I will use the Maya on the Octane of course. But on the Pc there's no need since my primary tools are way better for that anyway, for me that is (Don't wanna step on anyone's toe here) 8-)

Regarding Physical sky and stuff like that, well. I have never had any "use" of it before, since it is "easily" faked and such, same with materials. Playing with incidence angles and stuff have solved mostly all my problems in the past. Sure, it is very nice to have some tools that lessens your work burden. But I don't see that as a must. But I guess, once you get used to have all those cool new features, it can be kinda hard to live without 'em. But certain shaders are of course hard to live without, like SSS, since it is quite hard to solve otherwise. Easy if you are going to make one image, and fake it in Photoshop of course, but animation.. (yikes) :lol: I remember one time long ago where I needed to have photo real light in a render I did. But Lightwave I used at the time didn't have any Area light and stuff (yeah, a loooong time ago), so I had to come up with a way to fake it. I first tested with shadow mapped spotlights, but it never got any good. Then I tried with a lots of point lights arranged in a grid pattern, all parented to a null so I could move 'em and size them up. And it turned out great. Then, later, I learned that's basically how an Area light works. :lol: So I guess, if you try to look for solutions with what you have instead of looking at what you could have, and give up, you will always come up with an answer. And if your lucky, it will be an answer you like.

Other than that I can tell you a little about my former workplace Massive Entertainment. Massive has mostly used Lightwave 3D before and has integrated that into the pipeline of in-house tools really well. We used Lightwave for most of our cutscenes too. But since the game "World in conflict" the cinematic team have moved over to Maya mostly, and the in game in-house tools also supports Maya now days. But most stuff, at least the in game realtime 3D stuff, is built in Modo because it is such a good modeller. Unfortunately Xsi wasn't used much when I worked there, but that might change, since Massive is really good at testing new stuff and as a whole, likes a new challenge. It was (is) a really great place to work with lots of cool stuff happening everyday.

If you wanna now anything else, or if this wasn't what you where out after, just ask again, and I will try to give you the answer you are looking for.

/Jonas

-----------------
Old polygon wrangler