Maya upgrade question

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Torque

Maya upgrade question

Unread postby Torque » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Is it possible to upgrade from Maya 4 directly to Maya 6 on Irix 6.5? If so, do you need a new license?

foetz

Re: Maya upgrade question

Unread postby foetz » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:50 pm

there is no upgrade, you just install the later version. both can co-exist. and of course you need a new license

Torque

Unread postby Torque » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:10 am

Ok, thanks. And forgive for the newb questions, I'm somewhat familiar with Unix/Linux but still getting up to speed on Irix systems. I've also never dealt with A/W software before.

I'm not sure if my next question is an allowed topic, but here goes anyway. If I acquire a brand new version of Maya 6 (still in shrinkwrap, never opened) I'm assuming that it will have a valid serial number within the package? And that's all I'll need (along with my hardware id) to get an activation code from Alias to update my aw.dat?

Geoman

Unread postby Geoman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:13 am

Torque wrote:Ok, thanks. And forgive for the newb questions, I'm somewhat familiar with Unix/Linux but still getting up to speed on Irix systems. I've also never dealt with A/W software before.

I'm not sure if my next question is an allowed topic, but here goes anyway. If I acquire a brand new version of Maya 6 (still in shrinkwrap, never opened) I'm assuming that it will have a valid serial number within the package? And that's all I'll need (along with my hardware id) to get an activation code from Alias to update my aw.dat?

If it's expensive - this shrinkwrapped original software - I would phone or mail Autodesk before buying it. If they still issue licenses for older Maya-versions.
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!

Torque

Unread postby Torque » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Ok, forgive me as I'm not sure I'm interpreting your answer correctly. My understanding is that if you already have a valid serial number and hardware ID, you simply go to this website to get the activation code key:

www.alias.com/cgi-bin/activation/activate.cgi

Once you get the activation code, you update your aw.dat.

Is this correct?

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:26 pm

a few years ago alias has been bought by autodesk so things could be different now. before investing any money i'd contact autodesk and make sure things will work out fine

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:39 am

it would be highly surprising if you could just obtain a license for such an old version of maya from autodesk. likely the sales staff these days don't even know what IRIX is. ;)
it never hurts to ask of course - they do make exceptions for their customers, particularly if you have an inside contact. are you on a maya subscription at all?

vishnu

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:27 pm

The last time I tried talking to Autodesk about Maya on Irix they totally blew me off, but that's not really the end of the world because there are still licenses available from, let's just say, other sources. :P
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”