Old Alias and Wavefront apps screenshots...

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
foetz

Re: Old Alias and Wavefront apps screenshots...

Unread postby foetz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:02 pm

from 88, amazing :D
do you have more info about the alias? i take it it was sort of a supplemental program to the full one?

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:36 am

I have these with my IRIX 3.2 QIC tapes:

801-0056-001A: Personal Visualizer (S4-VIS-1.0)
Contains the "Visualizer 3D Rendering Package"

801-0059-001A: IRIS Visual Tools 1.0
Contains the "QuickModel 3D Modeling Program", "QuickPaint 2D Paint Program", and "Visualizer 3D Rendering Package"

I think we're looking at the software of that second tape, here :D

I also have Showcase 1.0 and some 3rd party tapes which may or may not work with IRIX 3.x (IDL, Liberty Paint, SoftImage and the WaveFront visualizer). Probably need licenses but I never tried any of this stuff. Some many things to do, so little time ...
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

arhiman57

Unread postby arhiman57 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:01 am

Thanks for the info Jan Jaap :D

I need to check all my 3.3.2 tapes, but I don't remember having one with "Iris Visual Tools", so maybe they were installed apart with a tape that I don't own.... Like you say, so many things to try, to test....

Yeah, from 88, more than 25 years now, crazy...

I can recommand the byte review of the "Personal Iris : The Dream Maker". Inside this article you have the description of Quickmodel plus a description of a project on it :D

ftp://ftp.nekochan.net/pub/irix/Documen ... ly1990.pdf

I have made some new screenshot; because the machine have also FrameMaker 1.3. Some pretty nice demo file to show in 2D, pretty impressive, like modern pdf.
:PI: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx2: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Fuel: :PrismDT:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:14 am

arhiman57 wrote:I need to check all my 3.3.2 tapes, but I don't remember having one with "Iris Visual Tools"

Too new :D IRIX 3.2, not 3.3.2. But apparently the apps run on 3.3.2 as well

I have to think hard whether I have any hardware left that still works and supports IRIX 3.2 :(
IIRC, IRIX 3.2 predates VGX graphics. My Professional Series 4D/70 is down with broken GT graphics (see my sig...). I have a set of GTX boards but all my GTX RMs suffer from the pinstripe of death. I have the E-module of a first-gen Personal Iris, a 4D/20 or 25, maybe *that* works...
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:48 pm

arhiman57 wrote:ftp://ftp.nekochan.net/pub/irix/Documents/Byte_July_1990_PI/ByteJuly1990.pdf

hmm i get "login incorrect" when trying to download that as anonymous

arhiman57

Unread postby arhiman57 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:48 am

You can normally browse it by this link :

ftp://ftp.nekochan.net/pub/irix/Documents/
:PI: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx2: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Fuel: :PrismDT:

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:20 am

I contacted Pete. The FTP server had gotten confused, but now it is working properly.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:44 pm

josehill wrote:I contacted Pete. The FTP server had gotten confused, but now it is working properly.

indeed thanks, working like a charm again :-)

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”