Old Alias and Wavefront apps screenshots...

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
foetz

Re: Old Alias and Wavefront apps screenshots...

Unread postby foetz » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:05 pm

vishnu wrote:
foetz wrote:yeah mental ray is better. i meant maya's default renderer. however mental ray is so slow so it's not a real option

That's what render farms are for... :mrgreen:

hehe with other renderers those are even faster. mental ray is slow in comparison, no matter where you run it.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:46 pm

foetz wrote:hehe with other renderers those are even faster. mental ray is slow in comparison, no matter where you run it.

Ah, but if you want the results you've got to be willing to put in the clock cycles... :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:35 pm

vishnu wrote:Ah, but if you want the results you've got to be willing to put in the clock cycles... :lol:

Er, right. I can't help but think of the time somebody suggested that they preferred to walk instead of flying around Second Life because they "enjoyed the exercise." To which a fellow resident replied, "They're avatars. They don't need a sodding fitness regime!"
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:07 pm

smj wrote:Er, right. I can't help but think of the time somebody suggested that they preferred to walk instead of flying around Second Life because they "enjoyed the exercise." To which a fellow resident replied, "They're avatars. They don't need a sodding fitness regime!"

I wonder what Second Life would be like if it rendered in Mental Ray. Probably way more scenic and unusably slow... :shock:
Project:
Plan:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:14 pm

vishnu wrote:
foetz wrote:hehe with other renderers those are even faster. mental ray is slow in comparison, no matter where you run it.

Ah, but if you want the results you've got to be willing to put in the clock cycles... :lol:

well the other renderers don't look bad either. each has its pros and cons.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:49 pm

It is with great deliberation that I never research it because I'm afraid if I learn what I'm missing out on by sticking with Maya 6.5 on IRIX I'll, well, basically quit using Maya 6.5 on IRIX. And I don't want to do that. So, here I am with my head in the sand.. :P
Project:
Plan:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:14 pm

vishnu wrote:It is with great deliberation that I never research it because I'm afraid if I learn what I'm missing out on by sticking with Maya 6.5 on IRIX I'll, well, basically quit using Maya 6.5 on IRIX. And I don't want to do that. So, here I am with my head in the sand.. :P

haha, no worries, i meant other renderers for irix :D

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:15 am

Probably the reason I don't notice the slowness of Mental Ray is because it renders faster than I model. And the nice thing about my Octane's two CPUs is that batch renders don't slow the modeling window down at all...
Project:
Plan:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:15 am

vishnu wrote:it renders faster than I model.

heheeh that's usually the case for everyone :P

anyway it gets nasty when you're testing materials or lights and need a test render often.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Rendering is where having multiple CPU's really makes a difference, in Maya make sure "Auto Render Threads" is selected and the number is set to however many CPUs (or cores) are available...
Project:
Plan:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:11 pm

vishnu wrote:Rendering is where having multiple CPU's really makes a difference, in Maya make sure "Auto Render Threads" is selected and the number is set to however many CPUs (or cores) are available...

hehe again, it's about relative speed. i only said that mental ray is slow in comparison hence it doesn't matter how many cpus you use because other renderers will always be faster.

Winnili

Unread postby Winnili » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Thanks Fötz for the new information and screenshots!
:Tezro: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2:

• Offering various remaining systems and parts, several interestingly compatible with both IRIX and OpenVMS (AXP and I64);
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1-GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).

arhiman57

Unread postby arhiman57 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:16 am

Some screenshot from my old 4D/25 (irix 3.3.2) that were on my hard drive.

You can note the 1600Sw on a 4D....
Attachments
P1010536.JPG
P1020208.JPG
:PI: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx2: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Fuel: :PrismDT:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:25 am

ha, very cool. alias paint looks just the same as the one that came with later versions but wavefront has changed a bit over time it seems :D

arhiman57

Unread postby arhiman57 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:03 am

Some new photos :D. Light was not optimum today for my old cam, but we can see the main interface of alias quickmodel. Also a screenshot of the OS, Irix 3.3.2 runnning on 4D/25 Turbo. I upgraded the 4d with turbo, it's clearly faster, but not as fast as I expected. If I was only able to compare with a 4D/240 VGX....

Too bad I can't get direct screenshot via printscreen, no media an no network, need to think about that.
Attachments
P1040125.jpg
P1040132.jpg
P1040140.jpg
P1040131.jpg
P1040129.jpg
:PI: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx2: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Fuel: :PrismDT:

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”