Maya goes on with v. 2009 :)

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

Re: Maya goes on with v. 2009 :)

Unread postby hamei » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:43 pm

GIJoe wrote:the viewcube and it's integration must have been outsourced to cheap labour somewhere ;)

I don't think they need to outsource it : Autodesk has a large operation here in Shanghai. Since we mostly believe in hype and 'low costs' I'd bet you $100 they have piss-poor quality control and little to no testing right in-house.

You would think that when companies pay people $500 a month they could afford to spend more on the "niceties" (such as quality control) but in fact, that's exactly the opposite of how it works. Once they get the cut-costs bone in their teeth they know no bounds. I've been in factory after factory after factory and it's all the same. Most of these factories are foreign-owned, by the way.

All this talk makes me thirsty, guess I'll go have a glass of milk ....

guardian452

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:51 pm

It sells enough, they don't care.
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.

indigofan

Unread postby indigofan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:28 pm

I have to agree with some of the posts that anything after 6.5 turned into bloatware.. Sure there are a few effects that are nice, but most is overkill for advanced animation needs, long live Maya on IRIX!!!
Indy R5K, Indigo High Impact R10K, Octane R12K, NeXT Station, NeXTCube, G5 PowerMac, MacBook Pro

cybercow

Unread postby cybercow » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:55 pm

it would certainly be nice to be able to use maya without display issues on a gamer card
that`s true, and GIJoe thoughts are 100% right ... in fact it`s "unofficial" that autodesk not provides support for "gaming cards" for any of their high industrial solutions, and many users including me falled in a trap that "maya z not working" ... it`s obvious when Irix was the only platform such things were unknown, owning an sgi meaned automaticaly owning a "pro" graphic card ... today: any maya distro is priced n-times any actual quadro/gfx combination u can buy, and is very natural that in 99.9% of cases u will have such hardware at your hands before u go to shop with autodesk leaving there many $$$$ ...

... fortunately by purpose or by case ? it can run on gaming cards such GF or RA, but NEEDS fine adjustments ... i had similar issues like PymbleSoftware did + the known "viewports flicker" with current view not refreshing on scene rotation and zoom ... i experimented with nvidia cpanel custom settings and finaly get it work, now even the view cube works :) ...

I have to agree with some of the posts that anything after 6.5 turned into bloatware...
NO! sorry to discourage you, but that`s true only if u use it for drawing a sphere and look arround it :) ;) ...
-----------------
Image Image Image

guardian452

Unread postby guardian452 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:32 pm

nvidia's official rant on why the quadro is so much better than the geforce:
Quadro_vs_GeForce0309.pdf
sorry, couldn't find a link
(2.03 MiB) Downloaded 29 times

IMO, the quadro drivers are more stable because they haven't been tweaked to run a few games benchmarks faster. The irony is that the games themselves are more stable as well. My qfx1000 runs maya 8.5 without any problems. Well, it's slow, but it's never had any sort of bug or ever crashed. Of course it has a stereo port which is fun for about 5 minutes until you puke.
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”