Through the Looking Glass

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
squeen

Re: Through the Looking Glass

Unread postby squeen » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:13 am

No, but thanks. I'm an guidance system designer and analyst not an animator. The work I've done with graphics has been to support mission design, but the base models are typically shared across a number of people---and they usually require a lot of clean-up since it seems most applications are concerned primarily with import and pay little heed to a clean export.

The ray tracer is a testing tool I built (synthetic video) for a navigation experiment. I just can't seem to stop playing with it. :)

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:50 am

squeen wrote:No, but thanks.

You're welcome, be my guest! ;) Your modelling/rendering looks superb!

squeen wrote:I'm an guidance system designer and analyst not an animator.

Oh, sorry. After so many years here, I was always a bit "shy" to ask! :)

squeen wrote:The work I've done with graphics has been to support mission design, but the base models are typically shared across a number of people

Sure, I understand. So, I guess your models are more oriented to a CAD type of accuracy than just visual animation models, since they probably must deal with real physical rules, reflect facts from missions, etc.

squeen wrote:---and they usually require a lot of clean-up since it seems most applications are concerned primarily with import and pay little heed to a clean export.

Good point. I know what you mean. For example I discovered many weird things trying to share models between Blender and QCAD. Since many months ago I'm trying to improve my skills for some CAD modelling, but it seems I feel more comfortable with classic animation modellers than strictly CAD programs... more exactly, BlenderCAD... of course my projects/models are about thousand billion times simpler than yours! :)

But sometimes things gets more complex, and then BlenderCAD just does not cuts. It takes too much time to have a modelling done rispecting real scale, dimensions, etc. So I'm trying for now ArtOfIllusion, and it seems a very fast tool to work. Kinda of a kitchen sink to do real fast modelling oriented to obtain G-Code, or sharing with *.obj (Wavefront) capable apps. I've designed my first CNC Router by using BlenderCAD, but I'm doing my whole second machine with ArtOfIllusion, to then export/import the model to/from BlenderCAD for some fine touching. (In fact I'm actually trying to investigate a few things like: ...How To Clean Up CAD Blue-Prints To Print Out? ...you're welcomed to help! :))

squeen wrote:The ray tracer is a testing tool I built (synthetic video) for a navigation experiment. I just can't seem to stop playing with it. :)

Well... you make the programmer in me to want to emerge and jump again to graphics! You know, long-long time since my latest affairs with OpenGL, MIPSPRO, etc. If I were you, I would chain my left leg to these... monster visualization center! :)
Have good fun. All the best,
Diego

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:15 am

I liked this write up (and no, that is not me in the picture). :)

http://www.hec.nasa.gov/news/features/2 ... 72809.html

Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi Squeen,

very cool ... good that they forgot to sum up how much energy has been used to calculate those images :mrgreen:

Are you continuing the hunt for faster rays and pixels ? You could try out that caustic thingy or play around with optix ...

Regards

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:54 am

For the navigation algorithm I developed we are looking at hardware acceleration of the acquisition search, but for the path tracer the primary focus if physical accuracy not real-time (the super computer cluster sure comes in hand!). What I'd like to improve there near-term are some of the following:

1) spectral rendering (as opposed to RGB) including Laser Radar (LADAR) frequencies
2) bidirectional path tracing and energy redistribution (Metropolis-like) methods
3) adaptive sampling in image space
4) BRDF tables

I am considering a much simpler real-time ray tracer engine to replace raster graphics in the CAVE. We just ordered a 24-core SMP machine--I might tinker with that a bit as well. That's your forte and a whole other can-of-worms for me, but I think the industry is heading in that direction and we need to stay on the cutting edge.

Unfortunately, my current assigned project does not have a strong visualization requirement---it's all about multi-body dynamics---and it launches in 2014, so I don't know how much time I will have for high-quality graphics. We'll see....

Graphics for situational (simulation results) visualization continues to be useful and I think we will probably be making significant improvements in our modeling program (scene graph & path tracer front-end) as well. The CAVE work will continue as well, but it may not be by me.

The only recent addition to the path-tracer I've managed to squeeze in this spring was dielectrics (glass)
bunny-glass.jpg

Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:09 am

Hi Squeen,

quite a lot of things to do, but hey that's what the fun is all about ;)
squeen wrote:For the navigation algorithm I developed we are looking at hardware acceleration of the acquisition search

Sorry, I didn't get that ?

squeen wrote:1) spectral rendering (as opposed to RGB) including Laser Radar (LADAR) frequencies
2) bidirectional path tracing and energy redistribution (Metropolis-like) methods
3) adaptive sampling in image space
4) BRDF tables

1) will of interest for us too, especially for dielectrics
2) too
3) we did that alrey
4) BRDF is not enough for us ... we need real materials like metalic paints, leather, brushed aluminium etc. I think we will disclose some in the very near future.

squeen wrote:I am considering a much simpler real-time ray tracer engine to replace raster graphics in the CAVE. We just ordered a 24-core SMP machine--I might tinker with that a bit as well. That's your forte and a whole other can-of-worms for me, but I think the industry is heading in that direction and we need to stay on the cutting edge.

24 core will be way too slow even only for a single side of the cave. We tested 200 cores for the sony 4K projector (8 MegaPixel) and it's still too slow.

squeen wrote:Graphics for situational (simulation results) visualization continues to be useful and I think we will probably be making significant improvements in our modeling program (scene graph & path tracer front-end) as well. The CAVE work will continue as well, but it may not be by me.

The only recent addition to the path-tracer I've managed to squeeze in this spring was dielectrics (glass)

Yes realtime graphics (with good quality) really change the way of working in a lot of fields. That is the reason most people can't think of anyone else once they have been infected with the realtime virus

Nice image, dielectrics are always visually attractive.

Regards

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:19 pm

squeen wrote:I liked this write up (and no, that is not me in the picture). :)

http://www.hec.nasa.gov/news/features/2 ... 72809.html

Impressive! So, are you the GNFIR's father?
Outstanding quality rendering, the Hubble looks almost the same... just a tiny bit nicer than the real one! :)

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:38 pm

Nice! :mrgreen:

I did some testing at the Wallops Flight Facility a few years back, do you ever get out there? Maybe we crossed paths. We were the guys that lost the Navy's underwater recovery sea lion... :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

zmttoxics

Unread postby zmttoxics » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:59 am

I am not much of a modeler, but that ray traced Tie Interceptor was pretty wicked. :D
Last edited by zmttoxics on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuff.

Ryan Fox

Unread postby Ryan Fox » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:01 am

Maya 6.5 Unlimited, Maya Fur, Onyx2 IR3 and many hours of pain
Attachments
RK_early_persp.jpg
Maya Fur ^^
MAYA, nut-
:Octane2: :Octane2: Octane 2 R14k 600 V12 4GB, Octane2 R14K 600 V10 1GB ,
:Onyx2: :Onyx2: Onyx2 IR3 4GB Quad R14K 500 DIVO, Onyx2 IR Quad R12K 400 2GB,
:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000 4GB
Sun Blade 2000 Dual 1200 XVR 1200 8GB

zmttoxics

Unread postby zmttoxics » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:09 am

You are a bit of a furry fanatic eh? Still looks hawt. Reminds me of that lady fox from Star Fox: Adventures.
Stuff.

Ryan Fox

Unread postby Ryan Fox » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:16 am

zmttoxics wrote:You are a bit of a furry fanatic eh?

Eh mildly so. They're just fun to create. ;)

zmttoxics wrote:Still looks hawt. Reminds me of that lady fox from Star Fox: Adventures.

Hehe Thank you.. yeah indeed. I've created some fantasy 3d sets and other cartoon characters in the past...
MAYA, nut-
:Octane2: :Octane2: Octane 2 R14k 600 V12 4GB, Octane2 R14K 600 V10 1GB ,
:Onyx2: :Onyx2: Onyx2 IR3 4GB Quad R14K 500 DIVO, Onyx2 IR Quad R12K 400 2GB,
:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000 4GB
Sun Blade 2000 Dual 1200 XVR 1200 8GB

fzalfa

Unread postby fzalfa » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:44 am

tits with fur..... hum must b unconfortable to have hair on the tongue !!

Laurent
SGI or die !!!
:O2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :PI: :Crimson: :PWRSeries: :Onyx: :O2000R:
HP proliant DL 585 Quad Opteron dual core 2.5Ghz 16Gb

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Very nice to see the Onyx crank out some quality renderings.

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:22 pm

Haha, it's nice to see such good work produced in Maya on an Onyx2, and your character modeling skills are obviously solid, but you really need to lose those breasts. They just look really out of place, they're anatomically incorrect, and they don't serve any useful purpose to the character design. But other than that, nice work!
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”