Softimage turns 20 today (Nov 10th)

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
fatal_error

Softimage turns 20 today (Nov 10th)

Unread postby fatal_error » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:23 am

Softimage Siggraph demonstration -

http://www.cgchannel.com/news/viewfeatu ... ewsid=5715

They run soft|3d on octane and demo the centropolis godzilla rig at the end of the vid. So cool!
:Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy:

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:32 pm

Awesome. I love seeing head-to-head comparisons of vintage and contemporary equipment. That Octane actually held up pretty well in shaded mode, and if it had TRAM nobody would have been chuckling at the performance.

When I first tried XSI at a demo in NYC years ago, I was shocked at how bloated and "gummified" it was compared to SI|3D. XSI used 100MB of ram just to load, whereas 3D fit neatly inside 15MB. I miss the efficient design of old-school software.

Spidy

Unread postby Spidy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:31 pm

Damn, I wasn't able to save that clip. :-(

Does anyone know if it appears on the 2006 Siggraph DVDs?

I saw a demo of SI|3.7 years back, and they demo'ed the same Godzilla stuff. It was awesome at the time, and I'd love a copy of this old beaute!
Man is the only animal smart enough to build the Empire State Building, and the only one stupid enough to jump off it.

87Porsche

Unread postby 87Porsche » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:42 pm

Spidy wrote:Damn, I wasn't able to save that clip. :-(

Here you go.

http://www.invalidnormalarray.com/filez/

Spidy

Unread postby Spidy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:09 pm

Cool, thanks dude.

Got any others with the Godzilla demo?

I loved that old demo. The one I saw years back actually had him running over (or more accurately through) the bridge. It also showed the missile hits.
Man is the only animal smart enough to build the Empire State Building, and the only one stupid enough to jump off it.

87Porsche

Unread postby 87Porsche » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:19 pm

No others, I just saved this one from fatal's link.

SGIFAN

Unread postby SGIFAN » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:01 am

If anyone is interested I am selling a Dual 250mhz Octane with SI3D 3.9 /XSI 1.0. Pm me for details

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:05 am

i dunno, i found the bloke's style of presenting just annoying, so i skipped some parts of the video. what's the point of chuckling over some 8 year-old machine's and application's performance or it's pricepoint from back in the day anyway? it's not like people like him didn't benefit greatly from the former exclusivity of that stuff. he's possibly a case of luck over talent even... :lol:

at least XSI doesn't seem so bad, unlike the cr*p made in toronto's king street. 8)

87Porsche

Unread postby 87Porsche » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:51 am

GIJoe wrote:i dunno, i found the bloke's style of presenting just annoying, so i skipped some parts of the video. what's the point of chuckling over some 8 year-old machine's and application's performance or it's pricepoint from back in the day anyway? it's not like people like him didn't benefit greatly from the former exclusivity of that stuff. he's possibly a case of luck over talent even... :lol:

at least XSI doesn't seem so bad, unlike the cr*p made in toronto's king street. 8)

That guy was a douchebag.

He wouldn't be where he is today if it wasn't for that 250MHz green machine and the company that made them.

fatal_error

Unread postby fatal_error » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:53 am

Damn straight!
:Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy:

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:27 pm

GIJoe wrote:i dunno, i found the bloke's style of presenting just annoying, so i skipped some parts of the video. what's the point of chuckling over some 8 year-old machine's and application's performance or it's pricepoint from back in the day anyway?

Indeed, funny bit i thought when he decided to switch to same Demo on a Windoze box was, how come he didn't get a PC of similar vintage as the Octane and show us how it stacked up in comparison :roll:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:23 pm

ajerimez wrote:Awesome. I love seeing head-to-head comparisons of vintage and contemporary equipment. That Octane actually held up pretty well in shaded mode, and if it had TRAM nobody would have been chuckling at the performance.

When I first tried XSI at a demo in NYC years ago, I was shocked at how bloated and "gummified" it was compared to SI|3D. XSI used 100MB of ram just to load, whereas 3D fit neatly inside 15MB. I miss the efficient design of old-school software.

can't second more :P

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:28 pm

wow, the video is quite offensive :shock:
the guy's making fun of an octane over and over again. i see no need for that during a maketing show.

for the record i was in a similar situation before. a few years ago i was at a tradeshow. among others there were amd showing an early prototype of an athlon 64bit running xsi. a guy from si did the presentation and they used linux. however one of his main arguments for the switch was that irix would be dead soon and pcs would be so much faster and better than an octane2 (what was a joke at that time).

bottom line is si seem to slam others (wrongly!) to hype themselves. more than a bad habit :evil:

anyhow i can understand them. meanwhile xsi is v5 and the modeling tools are still a joke :twisted:

marksch

Unread postby marksch » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:37 pm

Well im the guy in the video presenting, and for those whom I might have offended I sincerely apologize. The whole idea was not to offend but just relive some of the past and have some fun with it. I've been working at Softimage for almost 12 years and had been in production for 5 years on an SGI with SI3D before that, so without a doubt I owe my career to those amazing machines.

For those that were not at the event, this was the Softimage Siggraph 20th anniversary User Group presentation which was delivered to about 1,000 guests, most of whom have used Softimage 3D on some sort of SGI at one point in their career. We wanted to show some of the old demos, show what used to impress us and how spoiled we have become with visual effects. So please keep in mind for most of the people in the room this was just a blast from the past, nothing to be taken seriously. Nothing what comes out of my mouth is rehearsed, i down some redbulls and just start talking. when i pulled out my phone its because it started to vibrate in my pocket and it made me think about it having a 1 gig sd card in it- just stuff like that....

Trust me, I miss the old SGI just the rest of you. There was nothing cooler than walking into a client with the lastest and greatest SGI back in day, total nerdy ego boost! Now its a laptop that any vendor can manufacture... speaking of laptops anyone remember in the movie Twister they put masking tape over the Compaq branding on the laptops and wrote Silicon Graphics in pen? ahh the good ole days.

anyway, sorry to any i offended, totally not the point of the video. if anyone who wasnt offended wants a copy i have a HD version which lets your read the interface nicely. just pm me.

lastly to the guy who said im a douche bag, sorry man, i'll try to be less of one. :)

cheers.
mark

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:49 pm

Hey Mark,

No need for apologies. I think the point of your presentation was not "SGI Sucks" but "Look how much faster and cheaper the newest technology is!" which is exactly what a Softimage promotional ought to emphasize. I thought it was a fun blast from the past and your audience obviously felt the same.

And honestly, if anyone here was actually offended by your comments, they need to get their dick out of their hard drive ;)

Aaron

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”