Barco Creator

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
webweave

Re: Barco Creator

Unread postby webweave » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:27 pm

You go where the opportunities are and once you start to travel the world its not so scary. That part of the world is changing fast and to get a chance to live there and see some of it is something a traveller doesn't turn down.Anyway by 2003 the North American economy had slowed down and startups we're fewer and smaller. Our offer was to build a kick ass facility using our experience and talent and somebody else's money, that's hard to say no to especially when most of the gear I needed was already there. Our offices were in the same building as the local Sun, SGI and MS offices were in but we had a better location and our own entrance with a marble parking lot. I had to fly in and out often so I never had to spend any more than six weeks at a time there and over two years it goes fast. The drink thing is not as strict as they make it seem, imagine a country where everyone is under 21. I went there with money and connections, had a nice stable of cars to choose from, a deluxe 2000 sq. ft. villa in a private walled compound and tons of bored expat nurses. I don't agree with their system but its their system and if I don't want them coming here telling me what to do then I shouldn't do the same thing. How many people do you know who have dived the wrecks of the red sea? Travel is fun, even if its scary.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:39 pm

I've spent long years of my life on travel, mostly to remote test ranges like Dugway and San Nicholas Island, although I spent a year testing at Eglin Air Force Base (in the Florida panhandle) and that was fabulous. Been to Israel a few times, we were working with their Soreq Nuclear Research Center on <blah blah redacted>, visited the Red Sea but never dove in it. We're too boring for diving. We look for golf courses... :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

webweave

Unread postby webweave » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:48 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Barco-Creat ... 1185097599

Someone has made a book on Creator, the description sounds kind of odd. Wish I still had my Barco training binders.

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:47 pm

webweave wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Barco-Creator-by-Paperback-Book-English-Free-Shipping-/191185097599
Someone has made a book on Creator, the description sounds kind of odd. Wish I still had my Barco training binders.

"High quality content by wikipedia articles!"
:roll: no, this is just typical spamware publishing. move along, nothing to see here...
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

webweave

Unread postby webweave » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:47 pm

I've been out of town for a while and had to clear out some storage lockers and low and behold I found some vintage Barco documents. I'm NOT talking about pirated software. I was licensed by Barco and the documents are "ORIGINAL BARCO" and came with a licensed system, just so you know I'm not trying to break any rules here.

The system was for a full Barco Strike! package running stand alone on an SGI Octane. This was for a prototyping/demo system that I kept in my office and was occasionally wheeled out if needed somewhere in the shop, I remember the Xeikon DCP needing a jump start a few times. I had other Barco equipment and licenses plus I consulted to other shops that used various Barco systems so I certainly wasn't a pirate.

Anyway I found it and still have it and was wondering if anyone had any ideas if I should keep it? All this Barco graphic arts software was abandoned over fifteen years ago and the narrow range of hardware capable of running it was also abandoned about the same time. I wish there was a statute of limitations on software, even US patents only last 20 years and Strike! was released in 1993 making it over 22 years old. Barco Graphics died and Adobe won, we're not able to preserve history?

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:15 pm

How many pages? I mean unless it's thousands, speaking just for myself I would digitize it. And then... Once it's digital... Whoops how did that get out into the wild? :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:49 am

absolutely preserve it. and maybe even share it if you feel like it :D

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”