Which octane for Maya Discreet Flame?

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
bmnb1234

Which octane for Maya Discreet Flame?

Unread postby bmnb1234 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:51 pm

8) Hi I want to use a to use a sgi for Maya and Discreet Flame I am going to get an octane 2 V12 from Reputable Systems. I will upgrade to Tezro later on I what to learn specifics sgi system first I have a lot UNIX admin sun Solaris, hp, and AIX; I have experience Maya and combustion. My question is which would be better for me a single R14000-600 MHz or a Dual R12000-300 MHz?

Alver

Unread postby Alver » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:06 pm

I'm pretty sure a single R14K would outperform a dual R12K of half the clock frequency. This being said without any knowledge of the software. :)
while (!asleep()) sheep++;

norcal sgi fan

Unread postby norcal sgi fan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:11 pm

Would love to know what you find out on the difference of performance between the two.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:00 pm

well that's no question since 2x300 is 600 and an r14k@600 is better than the r12k. also you have the full speed always and not only with apps supporting smp.

fzalfa

Unread postby fzalfa » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 pm

that's depand about the financial question
a good solution is:
dual R12k 400 is faster than R14k 600....... and cost less
faster only with smp programs

regards
SGI or die !!!
:O2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :PI: :Crimson: :PWRSeries: :Onyx: :O2000R:
HP proliant DL 585 Quad Opteron dual core 2.5Ghz 16Gb

Spidy

Unread postby Spidy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:15 pm

foetz wrote:well that's no question since 2x300 is 600 and an r14k@600 is better than the r12k. also you have the full speed always and not only with apps supporting smp.

What? What are you saying foetz, that a dual 300 will be as fast as a single 600, always, regardless if the application is designed for multiple CPUs?
Man is the only animal smart enough to build the Empire State Building, and the only one stupid enough to jump off it.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:55 pm

Spidy wrote:
foetz wrote:well that's no question since 2x300 is 600 and an r14k@600 is better than the r12k. also you have the full speed always and not only with apps supporting smp.

What? What are you saying foetz, that a dual 300 will be as fast as a single 600, always, regardless if the application is designed for multiple CPUs?

no, the opposite ;-)

anotheradamdickson

Deep pockets is the question

Unread postby anotheradamdickson » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:43 am

The big difference is that the Octane2 will cost a hell of allot more money then Octane for the Digital Media options, however the Dm2/5 will do HD on the Octane2 (barely)

Okay be aware that the Dmedia options for both the Tezro (dm3/5) and the Octane2 will cost a hell of allot more then the digital media options for the Octane. The upside is HD!

With the Discreet on the Octane you can use a personal video option for video monitoring on a NTSC/PAL monitor for a NTSC/PAL color corrected view. However you can't use the 'EVO' (personal video option) for inputting and outputing video. In addtion the EVO is analog only, however every once and a while ebay has the 'o2' miranda converter which would allow SDI601 Pro/Digital video capture on the EVO. You've capture it to a disk array (it's raw uncompressed you'll need an array for dropless capture) and then important in the 'import image' (which will import video from files too). Keep in mind this is cheap. The EVO (personal video option) and the Miranda converter will run you around $600 MAX. Will let you I/O digital video (with a export step, not directly from flame to the deck). I believe this will only let you do 4:2:2 though not sure. Not dualink SDI, and know concurrent key/alpha channel with the EVO+Miranda converter

Next option is with the Digital Video option, these go for 800-2000 US on ebay and can be bought from a dealer for around $2500 (or so I've seen).
This will give you DualLink SDI (4:4:4:4) with Alpha, or Normal SGI601 with a key channel. It will let you use the output with a SDI-NTSC convert for monitor the color corrected output on a NTSC/PAL/HD monitor whilest you work and it will let input and output directly from Discreet apps to/from a deck. This option is still only SD. Better 4:4:4:4, or SingleSDI601 with key and will transfer to/from decks with ease, however the $800-2500 is mooorre. Both the EVO and the Digital Video board will not work with Octane2's V12

Now to the Octane2:
You'll need one of the Dmedia options. First is the DM5 which will work off off both the Tezro and the V12 (DCD is needed I think ??). Will export directly from video to HD-SDI, or SD-SDI and will do most HD formats and PAL/NTSC. However the Dm5 is OUTPUT ONLY. It's lower latency output then a DM2 but output only. I've seen these at most resellers for $2,900 US. Remeber this price includes the VBOB and the DM5 board in the VBOB
that allows you to connect to the DCD'ed V12. VBOB without internal dm5 board won't work. Howver this is only 3 grand and will output any format to any SD/HD SDI deck from discreet

Next, the DM2 often combined with the DM5. This gives you HD/SD SDI dual/single link 4:4:4:4 input and output. This inpuits and outputs directly from discreet and doesn't use the video. The DM5 also outputs directly from discreet however it passes the data through the V12 which takes allot of it's resources. Pushing data through the DM2 leaves the V12 alone. You should look for a Dm2/Dm5 with VBOB. These go for about $6,900 US. In the last few months there was a DM2 board that went for $700 on ebay and the VBOB which went insanely cheap (under $100 I think)It was the older VBOB without the DM5 but was still a steal if you got them both. This was one of those once in a lifetime things I think. So this $6,900 gives you amazing HD/SD SDI IO totally cool with Discreet that will do almost anything. If you move to a Tezro you can get a DM3 board and keep the same VBOB and move it between the two (I dunno if you'll have to reflash the VBOB though. Fast 2-3 minutes through the Dm2, 15 minutes through the Dm5). I can't picture the Dm3 being easy to come by though, haven't seen one on the market. But there may be a pallet of them at some vendor who knows .....

Fore both the Dm5 and the DM2/3 the VBOB also outputs SD and HD in component. You'll want a black burst HD/SD generator and a AES/ADAT reference to tie everything together. All through the configs there's always the standalone option, but Discreet will turn off the video without a reference and the documentation also states you must have the blackburst video ref, and aes/adat. However I've never had my hands on something like this so I dunno first hand

PS. If you need help with those pesky license and stones, and wrong SysID's with Discreet I can set it all up for you so it works, stones with normal drives, etc ......Only for testing of course, if you anything with it you'll be obliged by the gods of discreet to get a legit license

SAQ

Adam---

Unread postby SAQ » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:12 am

Your last paragraph is not really suited for public discussion here- could you please trim it and go offlist?

The rest of the information is useful, so keep on posting that kind of stuff.

zaphod

Unread postby zaphod » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:53 pm

Hi there,
I am in the UK and have a Dual 600 "Big Kahuna" for sale.
I am about to put it on Ebay, now that thingimabobs has gone for 750 ukp ex vat. Its hardly used and works a treat with the sort of software you are talking about.
Make me an offer and save me a lot of trouble...
:D

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:07 pm

Put it in the Hardware for Sale forum.

(And I just saw one of those on eBay. Dammmnnn that went for a lot! I'd buy yours if I had that kind of money :()
Maverick 3: Athlon X2 7750, 2gb, Windows Vista
Frank Dux: SGI Octane2 R12k 400mhz 1.5gb

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"

zaphod

Unread postby zaphod » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:09 pm

Ooops,

Good Idea, sorry about that folks I'm juggling 12 pages of Ebay sales.

aaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh :shock:

pablodiablo

Re: Deep pockets is the question

Unread postby pablodiablo » Tue May 08, 2007 7:46 am

anotheradamdickson wrote:With the Discreet on the Octane you can use a personal video option for video monitoring on a NTSC/PAL monitor for a NTSC/PAL color corrected view. However you can't use the 'EVO' (personal video option) for inputting and outputing video. In addtion the EVO is analog only, however every once and a while ebay has the 'o2' miranda converter which would allow SDI601 Pro/Digital video capture on the EVO.

So correct me if I'm wrong:

With flame (8.5) on Octane2 V12 + SI(for example)+PVO (plus pci cage for connecting stones) I am able to prewiev my work on regular tv,

aaaaaand when I add Miranda then I will be able to import directly to stone via SDI but export only via export image not onto deck?

regards
Pawel

zolotroph

Re: Deep pockets is the question

Unread postby zolotroph » Tue May 08, 2007 1:11 pm

pablodiablo wrote:So correct me if I'm wrong:

With flame (8.5) on Octane2 V12 + SI(for example)+PVO (plus pci cage for connecting stones) I am able to prewiev my work on regular tv, aaaaaand when I add Miranda then I will be able to import directly to stone via SDI but export only via export image not onto deck?

You're wrong.

Octane2 = Odyssey graphics (V6, V8, V10, V12)
Odyssey graphics only work with DM2/DM5/VBOB

Octane = MGRAS graphics (SI, SSI, MXI, SE, SSE, MXE)
MGRAS graphics only work with EVO, PVO

You can't have Odyssey and MGRAS graphics options in the same machine.

Your options are:

$ - Octane SI/SSI/MXI/SE/SSE/MXE with EVO (SD analog composite or Y/C only)

$$ - Octane SI/SSI/MXI/SE/SSE/MXE with PVO (SD-SDI only)

$$$ - Octane2 V12 with DCD and VBOB/DM5 (SD-SDI or HD-SDI out only)

$$$$ - Octane2 V12 with DCD and VBOB/DM2/DM5 (SD-SDI and HD-SDI in and out)

With all but the first option, unless you are using video decks and broadcast monitors that have SDI, you should also factor in the cost of SDI/analog converters. AJA makes a full range of mini converters for both SD and HD SDI/analog conversion.

Any way you slice it, you're going to be spending LOTS of money.

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”