Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: New to SGI & Indigos
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:02 pm 

this is my first Indigo / SGI / IRIX experience... i have an IRIS Indigo:
> R4400 Revision 5 @ 150 MHz
> 112 MB memory
> IRIS Audio Processor Revision 10
> GR2-ELAN Graphics
> IRIX 6.2
[2 int 450MB and 1 ext 4.5 GB drives, CD-ROM, floppy and possible int tape if i switch out the floppy].

i was given a copy of 5.3 w/ an IndyZone disc but it doesn't seem to work... would love some suggestions on where to get software and some tutorials for IRIX and what not. thanx!

oh... dare i ask how difficult the 3D glasses are to come by and what one uses them for? i saw the connector on the back... was curious.

"a little rebellion now and then is a good thing" -Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:26 pm 

3d glasses are typically not cheap. One of the man suppliers is stereographics. Their product is the "crystaleyes". I have used them for many years doing molecular modelling. A new package (one emitter and two glasses) will run you ~$1000. I do remember hearing about cheaper glasses that will work with the stereographics emitter. The emitter syncs the screen refresh to the glasses' lcd shutters. Consequentially they only work with CRTs.
It looks like you can get a pair of glasses for $99 on ebay right now. The seller says that an emitter will cost another $99. Although, there description "Item appears to be in very good condition" makes me think it was never tested. Caveat emptor and all. :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:32 pm 

I f you can find working ones, ELSA Relevator 3D glasses are compatible and cheap.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:16 am 

...maybe this is of any help... haven't tried it myself (since I only enjoy my SGI Challenge S through Command Line Interface... :-)). Bu there must be plenty of those Asus-glasses out there, I know several people who gave them away...

Connecting (cheap) stereo glasses
to SGI workstations

http://huizen.dds.nl/~roosmcd/

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:47 am 

You know, someone should write a basic tutorial set for people new to SGIs somewhere on the site. Like how to use Inst, the Software Manager, hinv, stuff like that. Things that only SGI has and can confuse the new user. I would write some myself, but I don't think I have quite the technical skill to use all the features of inst....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:05 am 

directedition wrote:
You know, someone should write a basic tutorial set for people new to SGIs somewhere on the site. Like how to use Inst, the Software Manager, hinv, stuff like that. Things that only SGI has and can confuse the new user. I would write some myself, but I don't think I have quite the technical skill to use all the features of inst....

You could write a masters thesis on that subject.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:14 am 

directedition wrote:

Well, there is that "Getting Started" section, you could possibly start a thread in there... :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:24 am 

directedition wrote:
You know, someone should write a basic tutorial set for people new to SGIs somewhere on the site. Like how to use Inst, the Software Manager, hinv, stuff like that.

All that is convered in the IRIX Admin: Software Installation and Licensing manual.

Most other basic questions are answered pretty well by techpubs. Then there is always Ian Mapleson's site, the SGI FAQs, google groups, this forum, and a few other sgi sites out there.