IRIX 6.5 Update

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
BigNemesis

IRIX 6.5 Update

Unread postby BigNemesis » Tue May 10, 2005 11:24 am

Hi, Last week i bought my first SGI-Workstation (Octane with 300MHz and 512MB RAM) by ebay. Irix 6.5 was installed and I want to install some programs like firefox, gaim, etc. I've read, that I have to update to 6.5.27 for example. Is this difficult or must I install at first a patch? I've never worked with unix, irix, linux, just Windows XP.
Sorry for my bad english, I'm from germany;)

codemonkey

Unread postby codemonkey » Tue May 10, 2005 11:53 am

I think the necoware stuff (firefox, ect) requires 6.5.21. You can download 6.5.22m from http://www.sgi.com if you sign up for a basic support portfolio account (it's free).
Even the reverse side has a reverse side - Japanese Proverb

zafunk

Unread postby zafunk » Tue May 10, 2005 12:20 pm

In a shell, type uname -aR first to see what revision of IRIX you're running.

Get patch 5086 and install that first (before any upgrades). You can get that from Supportfolio for free.

Chances are good that you'll need the foundation CDs for IRIX during any upgrade procedure. Make sure you have those too ;)

BigNemesis

Unread postby BigNemesis » Wed May 11, 2005 3:06 am

thanks for the quick answeres. Yeah, I have also some SGI-CD's (I think 20 or so), but no SCSI-CD-Drive. No matter, I'm happy, that I can surf and play a little bit with my workstation :D I'll do the updates when i have more experience. Nice forum here :wink:

zafunk

Unread postby zafunk » Wed May 11, 2005 4:39 am

A bootable SCSI CD drive and cable will be your best friend. You can do installs accross the network, but life is so much easier with a CD. For a list of known working CD drives look here. You'll want a minimum of 12X speed on reads. I have a Yamaha 8x4x24 which is bootable and works great for writing CDs on IRIX. I think it set me back a whopping $20-.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed May 11, 2005 6:33 am

zafunk wrote:You can do installs accross the network, but life is so much easier with a CD. .

I dunno, zaf .... having a CD reader-writer is definitely good but once you get past the hassle of setting up the install server, wow. That is the way to go. No more hours of cd-swapping. Get to the install directory, click go and it's wham, bam, thank you ma'am. Network installs are a treat after you have the install server set up.

zafunk

Unread postby zafunk » Wed May 11, 2005 6:46 am

I hear ya, Network installs are much faster. I still find that I use my CD drive quite a bit (Both for burning and reading media). Really depends on the user I guess.

With that said....

http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/netboot.html

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed May 11, 2005 7:05 am

hamei wrote:once you get past the hassle of setting up the install server, wow. That is the way to go. No more hours of cd-swapping. Get to the install directory, click go and it's wham, bam, thank you ma'am. Network installs are a treat after you have the install server set up.

Amen! 8) 8)

Not to mention that net installs also work for IRIX versions that otherwise would have to be loaded from QIC 150 cartridge tapes because they're from before the invention of the CD-ROM :wink:
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Satoru

Unread postby Satoru » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:57 pm

I just went trough the update from .17 to .27 on my small O2.
Funny enough if I check the os version after the update still states .17
O2 3# uname -aR
IRIX O2 6.5 6.5.17m 07121149 IP32
O2 4#
But I've cheched in swmgr and it says that .27 is installed...
I tried an autoconfig -f just in case with no result.
The PROM was actually updated from 4.16 to 4.18

Any idea?

Marco/Sat

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”