Can't see anything on an Indigo2

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
codemonkey

Can't see anything on an Indigo2

Unread postby codemonkey » Tue May 10, 2005 4:58 am

I finally managed to get a SOG adapter for my I2 to use it with my monitor. Unfortunatly now my monitor now just displays 'Video mode not supported'. I'm thinking this means my monitor doesn't support the resolution (it's max is 1024*768) or the refresh rate. What does the POST on an I2 use, and is there anyway of getting something on the screen?
Even the reverse side has a reverse side - Japanese Proverb

hamei

Re: Can't see anything on an Indigo2

Unread postby hamei » Tue May 10, 2005 6:46 am

codemonkey wrote:I finally managed to get a SOG adapter for my I2 to use it with my monitor. Unfortunatly now my monitor now just displays 'Video mode not supported'. I'm thinking this means my monitor doesn't support the resolution (it's max is 1024*768) or the refresh rate. What does the POST on an I2 use, and is there anyway of getting something on the screen?

After it's booted but before it's running hit "escape" about four or five times. Then when the green light is on it's *probably* in the maintenance screen. Hit escape a few times more for good luck. Then wait a sec. Then type (carefully) < setenv monitor lo > then enter. That's 'lo' as in low, not one-oh. Then reboot. With luck you've just reset the grafix to 1024 x 768. Otherwise you'll have to do the same thing from a terminal. OR, if you have a friend nearby with a sog-capable monitor that'll do 1280 x 1024, just take the 'digo2 over to his house and reset the grafix from the Toolchest. It's not that hard to do blind tho. After you've effed up your grafix settings a couple times it almost comes naturally. That's what I hear, anyway :oops:

Hmm. Maybe I should try that sequence. Might have an "enter" in there somewhere. Try google or search nekochan tho - use "blind reset graphics mode SGI" for a search string. You'll probably get an essay on ostrich breeding if your luck with google is the same as mine has been recently :)

codemonkey

Unread postby codemonkey » Tue May 10, 2005 11:22 am

Been trying for about 30 mins, and still nothing.

Looks like in going to have to get a RS232 <-> RS422 cable and try it via terminal then.

codemonkey

Unread postby codemonkey » Fri May 13, 2005 8:32 am

Ok, I have a serial cable now and i've managed to connect to the system using hyperterminal. The system has IRIX 6.2 installed.

I can log in as guest and do a 'setenv MONITOR lo' or a 'setenv output-device screen:r1024x768x60' and they both seem to be accepted (setenv has the new line in). But when I log out or restart the computer setenv just looks like it did before.

Is there anyway to tell setenv to keep the setting, or is this only cause im logged in as a guest? Unfortunatly, using su or logging in as root isn't possible as I don't know the password.

Could I essentially remove the HD and then have a serial console to the PROM and use setenv that way?

Intel-OUTSIDE

Unread postby Intel-OUTSIDE » Fri May 13, 2005 8:46 am

codemonkey wrote:Could I essentially remove the HD and then have a serial console to the PROM and use setenv that way?

yes :)

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”