Limit on number of files in UDF DVD on IRIX?

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
zafunk

Limit on number of files in UDF DVD on IRIX?

Unread postby zafunk » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:11 pm

I'm trying to use dvd-r as a backup medium for my IRIX boxes. Recently I downloaded all of freeware. I used Gear-Pro to burn a UDF/ISO DVD with Rockridge support. This disk mounts fine on all my other OS's (OS X and Win 2K) but when I mount the disk on my O2, the directories that contain all the freeware and the one that has the html notes for each package are empty. Other directories that contain fewer files behave normally. Is it because there are to many files in there?

So far all my DVD-R adventures in IRIX land haven't been successful :( The worst part is that my DVD rom in the O2 doesn't seem to like DVD-RW disks, so i'm starting to get a pile of coasters.

videobrat

Unread postby videobrat » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:33 pm

Which DVD -R drive are you using? I also run Gear for Unix, but every compatible DVD drive was just too expensive.
------------------------------------------------
I saw it on TV, it must be real!
------------------------------------------------

zafunk

Unread postby zafunk » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:00 am

videobrat wrote:Which DVD -R drive are you using? I also run Gear for Unix, but every compatible DVD drive was just too expensive.

The DVD-R isn't on my IRIX box, it's on a PC running W2K. I ran Gear on the PC and mounted a share folder from the IRIX box. With Gear I created a disk image (ISO/UDF/Rockridge) and burned that. The DVD-R is a Pioneer A-04 (I think). The DVD drive in the O2 is a Toshiba SD-M1401. I've also tried a few tests on a Mac using toast and cdrecord without any success.

The new version of Gear is supposed to support cheap DVD-R's via those ACARD ATA/SCSI bridge things. There was also an article in the forums about installing one internaly on an O2 here. I have an older version of gear for IRIX. I don't think it supports DVD burning, if it did, i'd make the disk image on the IRIX box and copy it over to the Mac/PC for burning.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:33 am

Is there a open source DVD-R authoring software package? I want to experiment a little with some drives before purchasing.

zafunk

Unread postby zafunk » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:49 am

squeen wrote:Is there a open source DVD-R authoring software package? I want to experiment a little with some drives before purchasing.

Doesn't CDRecord support DVD-R now?

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:00 pm

dvd+rw-tools claims to support IRIX 6.x in the newer versions:

Home page:

http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

IRIX 6.x support announcement:

http://www.mail-archive.com/cdwrite@oth ... 05802.html

Haven't tried it under IRIX though.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

zafunk

Unread postby zafunk » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:50 pm

A little poking around on Google reveals that the Toshiba SD-M1401 had a firmware update which addresses it's inability to read DVD-RW disks. The only patch I can find though is on Sun's web site. Toshiba's site has bugger all for the 1401.

Anyone know how I can find out what firmware revision my drive has presently? On IRIX or any other platform?

Reference to the patch is here

barefoot

Unread postby barefoot » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:48 am

zafunk wrote:A little poking around on Google reveals that the Toshiba SD-M1401 had a firmware update which addresses it's inability to read DVD-RW disks. The only patch I can find though is on Sun's web site. Toshiba's site has bugger all for the 1401.

Anyone know how I can find out what firmware revision my drive has presently? On IRIX or any other platform?

Reference to the patch is here

Got this from Brandon
http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?c ... ufactor=31
However, I am not sure how good these firmware are as I have not tried them (embarrassed to say that don't have clue where to start to make a dos boot disk)
Cheers
barefoot

zafunk

Unread postby zafunk » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:30 am

barefoot wrote:Got this from Brandon
http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?c ... ufactor=31
However, I am not sure how good these firmware are as I have not tried them (embarrassed to say that don't have clue where to start to make a dos boot disk)

I had a look there. I think these firmware flashes have been modified to make your DVD-Rom region free, so i'm hesitant to try them (As it could totally ruin the Drive). There is also a reference on Sun's website, but i'm not entirely sure it's the right patch (it addresses some boot issues on Solaris). Looking at the Toshiba FAQ, it seems you have to call tech support, explain the problem and then they will decide what patch you need and issue a link to download it. Before I call, I have to figure out which version of the firmware I have. Then I'll probably have to stick the drive in a PC since it looks like the flashing tools are windows only :roll:

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:58 am

I've going to try a Sony DVD-R firewire drive shortly. Any one know what the steps for mounting a removable media via firewire are? -- the same as for the firewire hard drive?

zafunk

Unread postby zafunk » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:17 pm

So I got an answer from Toshiba WRT to the SD M1401. Tech support says the 1401 is incapable of reading from RW disks. Period. Limitation of the hardware. So i'm back to square one. :(

o2ric

Unread postby o2ric » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:15 am

zafunk wrote:So I got an answer from Toshiba WRT to the SD M1401. Tech support says the 1401 is incapable of reading from RW disks. Period. Limitation of the hardware. So i'm back to square one. :(

Another case of a company who doesn't know what it sells? :shock:

I haven't the Fuel I working on normally handy right now, but I bet that the Toshiba model you are talking about is the same fitted in the Fuel (which, incidentally, the customer I am working for asked for a replacement since it had a big load of problems).

And, even if some read error pops here and there (which seems to be recoverable, tho), I normally use a DVD+RW disc in that unit without much hassle. The disc is made (OEM-ed) by LG, if you ask, written by an LG drive.

A.S.

zafunk

Unread postby zafunk » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:43 am

Wonder if it has something to do with the density of the dye on the disks? I'll try a +RW to see if it makes any difference. At least that way I can track down my problems with mastering disks, without making a coaster for each try :/

The two folders on my dvd that appear to contain nothing (under IRIX) have over 2000 files in them. Anyone sucessfuly mount a DVD with that many files on it?

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”