cups, irix and printcapGui

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
gandalf

cups, irix and printcapGui

Unread postby gandalf » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:02 am

Hey,

I want to print on matrix printers like impact and inkjet ones from IRIX. They are obviously non-postrstript.
I hoped I could use impressario? after all doesn't it have a postsript interpreter?

Anyway I tried to install CUPS, ghostview, gimp-print (and all the hell of dependencies) from freezare.sgi.

Is this the only option I have ,

I want to print on a epson stylus as a first task (6 ink)

It seems I was able to set up all so that I can print a test page (although it seems it uses only 4 inks, not 6) But I cannot print from any other application. Like imageworks or NEdit.

one of the problems seeems to be the PrintcapGUI, which is set to be /usr/bin/glpoptions frop ESP Print Pro
(the gui to set extra printer options) which I don't have it seems.
Any solutions ?

anyway even without setting any options, the spooling seems to fail since I see no job in the CUPs queue (when printing from an application which has a printer chooser, like NEdit)

printing form other apps like netscape and PDFView which have only LP options will be the next task.

ZoontF

Unread postby ZoontF » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:09 pm

I am no guru here, but I recall having a problem where parts of my print system where traditional IRIX bsd printing system components (i.e. the lp, lpc, lpq, etc. binaries) were mixed with the CUPS components of the same names (i.e. lp was the CUPS lp, and lpq was the IRIX version). You might want to remove any IRIX printing system stuff, remove the CUPS stuff, and reinstall just the CUPS stuff.

As for printing from applications, when I print from applications, I just have the application print to the "lp" command. Since CUPS sets the default printer (like a regular BSD printing system would), just using "lp" as the print command from, say, Mozilla, works for me.

I hope this is sort of helpful.

Impressario is not likely to be overly useful to you unless you have a specifically supported printer.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:35 am

I once had freeware CUPS working pretty well and used xpp as the GUI. That was awhile ago (circa. 6.5.17) I haven't had any luck since. I wish someone would be put together a brief CUPS "how to", since I have an HP DeskJet693C at home that only prints gibberish now.

What I did was:

Code: Select all

- move the IRIX printing files
            mv /usr/bin/lp /usr/bin/lp.old
            mv /usr/bin/lpstat /usr/bin/lpstat.old
      - link the CUPS printing files
            ln -s /usr/freeware/bin/lp /usr/bin/lp
            ln -s /usr/freeware/bin/lpstat /usr/bin/lpstat
      - book mark CUPS printing menu: http://localhost:631/

ZoontF

Unread postby ZoontF » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:46 am

squeen wrote:I once had freeware CUPS working pretty well and used xpp as the GUI. That was awhile ago (circa. 6.5.17) I haven't had any luck since. I wish someone would be put together a brief CUPS "how to", since I have an HP DeskJet693C at home that only prints gibberish now.

For the record, I am using 6.5.22 and CUPS works fine for my Octane.

Wierd thing was, my printer is not suppported by free CUPS. So I had to go download the printer drive package for "professional CUPS". Once downloaded, though, I was able to use the pay-for driver with the freeware cups software. I would have thought ESP would have stopped people from doing that.

gandalf

Unread postby gandalf » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:37 am

hmm, yes, removing the old lp, lpr etc... and then symlinking the cups ones to the old place (so some stubborn apps find them anyway) solved most of the tricks.

I can now print from most apps (except adobe acrobat reader)..but still I want to solve this problem of the option settings. Always opening a browser is a pain.. also if there are jobs in action cps acts really badly. Having a gui panel for the printer option would be good.

Someone has the EPS glpoption executable around? or a good replacement?

the other problem is that the colors and saturations are quite poor from default, I tried playing with the options a bit but still get quite rough results, at least compared with standard settings under mac and windows.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:28 pm

gandalf wrote:Having a gui panel for the printer option would be good.

We'll there is the web interface of port 631
http://localhost:631/

Also, xpp from freeware does a pretty good job of glp replacement.

Just put xpp in instead of lp or glp in the print command box.

My sym link hack doesn't work too well for me, I was hoping sone else would speak up and tell me a better way of configuring CUPS.

o2ric

Unread postby o2ric » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:55 am

squeen wrote:I once had freeware CUPS working pretty well and used xpp as the GUI.

[snip]

What I did was:

Code: Select all

- move the IRIX printing files
            mv /usr/bin/lp /usr/bin/lp.old
            mv /usr/bin/lpstat /usr/bin/lpstat.old
      - link the CUPS printing files
            ln -s /usr/freeware/bin/lp /usr/bin/lp
            ln -s /usr/freeware/bin/lpstat /usr/bin/lpstat
      - book mark CUPS printing menu: http://localhost:631/

Well, there is a faster but unsupported way to accomplish the task. Look under /usr/freeware/etc/cups, and you will find the install-cups utility (and its counterpart, uninstall-cups).

The files have always been there since I packaged the first version of CUPS for SGI freeware, but for various reasons (not least: creating problems to the IRIX engineers when preparing the official IRIX packages) the previous freeware maintainer chose to not mention the two files in the release notes, and it's still so.

CUPS has some part of the code that is included in when it's compiled on SGI, which enables an almost smooth integration with the desktop. I had to reverse engineer the way the desktop interacts with the printers via Impressario, and implement the simulation under CUPS. For this reason, it is important that the CUPS binaries are encountered before the standard IRIX ones in the search path. install-cups does exactly this: moves out the standard IRIX binaries, and put symbolic links in place that point to the CUPS binaries. It also disables the standard lpsched server, and enables the CUPS one. uninstall-cups reverses obviously the changes, and SHOULD be used whenever an update of CUPS or IRIX is to be undertaken, because especially in the case of IRIX packages one cannot know in advance if the printing binaries will be replaced or not. After the update, just reinstall the CUPS swapover with install-cups, and you are done.

The CUPS desktop integration is not complete, nor perfect however. For example, I know that printer groups are not displayed, because it would need a trick in the lpstat command that the CUPS maintainer did not want to integrate. However, I bet that part of my work in CUPS may have migrated in ESP (and I'm fine with this), so eventually ESP could offer a better integration than CUPS, apart from featuring an integrated GUI for setting the printer options.

Hope it helps,
A.S.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:44 am

Sure does. Thanks!

Any chance we could get you to do a neko_cups package?

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:48 am

Now, a neko_cups would be awesome... :-)
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

o2ric

Unread postby o2ric » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:19 pm

squeen wrote:Sure does. Thanks!

Any chance we could get you to do a neko_cups package?

Well, eventually later on it could be a possibility. CUPS 1.1.21 was already on my TODO list (for SGI freeware, tho), but I've put it on hold since I've read that 1.1.22 will follow shortly due to some memory leaks that afflict CUPS 1.1.21. The problem with CUPS and FLTK is that they go through a lengthy process before a version is officially delivered (lot of release candidates), which is good; unfortunately, given the timing of SGI freeware, it also means that what you find on the web site is not always the latest version. But quite surely, it's a version that is considered stable enough.

A.S.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:58 am

Updating freeware should be a priority -- but maybe you could offer a little "hand-holding" when we try for a nekoware version as well.

Thanks.

o2ric

Unread postby o2ric » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:37 am

squeen wrote:Updating freeware should be a priority -- but maybe you could offer a little "hand-holding" when we try for a nekoware version as well.

Sure! No problem for this.

A.S.

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”