Fan louder in dual head, normal ?

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
rmigfr

Fan louder in dual head, normal ?

Unread postby rmigfr » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:16 pm

Hello,

I have a MXE in my octane, I installed on it a second card, an SE board (in slot C, as advised in the SGI dual head manual for SI/MXI).

My fans start to be really louder. I suppose it is due to the heat generated by the dual head configuration. Is it normal ?

Or is it a sign that my Octane need a serious cleaning (in this case, is the vaccum cleaner safe ? I suppose yes).

Thanks,

Rémi

sum][one

Unread postby sum][one » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:37 pm

I done the same 2 weeks ago.. and same louder fan.. my Octane was just cleaned so i'm almost sure it just need more airflow.. and so i just removed the SE cause it was even louder than the O200.
----
:: jean-claude
:: mimgfx dot com
----

Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:24 pm

This is normal, if you populate more than 2 XIO-slots the fan will be switched into the fast mode.

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans

Involution

Unread postby Involution » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:01 am

NEVER use a vaccum cleaner in a computer unless you have one that has a proper grounding strap. Octanes collect a lot of dust, very quickly. This is one of the downsides to a large amount of airflow going through the machine :) So what i would suggest is pulling out your mainboard, your PSU, and your video cards and blow some compressed air to loosen+remove the dust; then be _very_ careful plugging them back in (there are horror storys about people wrecking their backplanes by not paying attention when jamming their modules back in)

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”