Using a PC105 keyboard

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
rmigfr

Using a PC105 keyboard

Unread postby rmigfr » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:03 pm

Hello,

I just got an Octane with an SGI german keyboard. I type in French, and I can got all needed accent with some combinations, but it does not work on GTK apps and Mozilla... and it is not very fast.

I got a french PC105 keyboard, everything work fine for accents with the french keymap, but the modifier keys are all messed up. ESC is numlock, CTRL is capslock and I still not have find the real CTRL key... I tried to select the keymap fr8nodeadkeys but it does not work...

Is it possible to fix this behaviour ?

rmigfr

Unread postby rmigfr » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:52 am

Ok, I think I could try to use some of the stuffs in /usr/lib/X11/xdm, but without succes for now... I also did not find something very useful in the newsgroups, but I keep searching :)

I also tried the tip from Nekochan, to use the wheelmouse. Works well in 6.5.22m... for one or two minutes. After 4DWM seems to freeze. I suppose it is why it is not activated by default :D

Well I saw I forgot to present myself, sorry to have been so rude. So I am Remi, a newbie in the world of sgi, and thanks everyone for the useful amount of information I found in this site and its forums.

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:58 am

Hello remi and welcome, :)

Sorry for us keeping quiet a bit, but it seems there are not so many persons with this problem. Usually xmodmap should take care of keyboard thingies.

This could however be a part of the european customisation CD for IRIX, but has anyone more info on that? It would be a shame to see people strugglng with something so basic like a language keyboard driver from an obscure CD...

rmigfr

Unread postby rmigfr » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:24 am

Sorry for us keeping quiet a bit, but it seems there are not so many persons with this problem. Usually xmodmap should take care of keyboard thingies.

Yes, no problem. I will search info on xmodmap. In fact the fact that modifier key are mixed up is not dramatic if I could find all of them. Apparently CTRL and CAPSLOCK are inversed, ESC is ESC and NUMLOCK, but I still do not have find Right ALT alias ALTGR, and it is very annoying because I can't have access to certain very useful characters.

I still have a lot of thing to learn... :wink: and a weird Maya problem to post in the right forum section.

canavan

Unread postby canavan » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:11 pm

try setxkbmap(1) and, if that doesn't help use xkeycaps from freeware to constuct a .xmodmap file to fix the few keys you are missing.

rmigfr

Unread postby rmigfr » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:40 pm

Hello (or good night for every one around greenwich :) )

I finally find the answer... My keyboard was not really a PC, but one of this Windows contaminated keyboard with shortcuts keys... Apparently the keycodes are not exactly the sames.

Now with a true PC105 keyboard, things are back to normal. All my keys are correctly mapped and work. The last problem is just the problem with composed accentued characters in GTK applications, but I also got this problem with a SGI german keyboard.

My advice: even if you can have for less than 1 $ a shiny glowing/wireless/optical//whatever you want keyboard, with plentyè of keys on it, do not take it, it is evil :evil:

More seriously, thanks every one for your advices.

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”