O2 Question(s)

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
my_o2

O2 Question(s)

Unread postby my_o2 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:48 am

This is my first home SGI. I amazed at what cost thousands several years ago, I picked up with change, so I knew I might run into some problems. Okay, here is my main question...a little background first...

I have the IRIX 6.5 CDs, and I have tested the CDROM and the HD, and I didn't get any errors. I even repartitioned the HD (I have not formated it). When I try to "Install System Software" from the mainenance screen, it says, "It appears that a miniroot install failed." And asks if I would like to "Continue, Fix the miniroot, Reload the miniroot, or Abort the installation." I have tried them all, but when I select Fix or Reload the miniroot, a banner comes up with "Copying installation tools to disk" with a status bar. The status moves across the bar until the end...then the screen just goes black. I hear the HD churning, but it never comes back up. FYI...

my hinv is...
System: IP32
Processor: 180 Mhz R5000, with FPU
Primary I-cache size: 32 k
Primary D-cache size: 32 k
Secondary cache size: 512 k
Memory size: 192 m
Graphics: CRM, Rev C
Audio: A3 version 1
SCSI Disk: scsi(0)disk(1)
SCSI CDROM: scsi(0)cdrom(4)

My printenv shows...
AutoLoad=Yes
console=g
diskless=0
dbaud=9600
volume=80
sgilogo=y
monitor=h
TimeZone=PST8PDT
netaddr=146.0.2.1 {THIS CONCERNS ME BECAUSE IT'S STANDALONE}SystemPartition=pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)
OSLoadPartition=pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)
OSLoadFilename=/unix
OSLoader=sash
OSLoadOptions=INST
ConsoleOut=video()
ConsoleIn=keyboard()
cpufreq=180
eaddr=08:00:69:0c:99:1f
videostatus=illegal_env_var {CONCERNS ME AS WELL-I'M USING AN OLDER HP PC MONITOR (VGA HDDB15 I THINK)}
gfx=alive

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have not been able to get anywhere with this machine, and I'd love to get it up and running. Thank you in advance.

David.

ShadeOfBlue

Re: O2 Question(s)

Unread postby ShadeOfBlue » Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:17 am

Welcome! :)

my_o2 wrote:I have the IRIX 6.5 CDs, and I have tested the CDROM and the HD, and I didn't get any errors. I even repartitioned the HD (I have not formated it). When I try to "Install System Software" from the mainenance screen, it says, "It appears that a miniroot install failed."

From which CD are you trying to boot into miniroot?
Are these CDs original or copies?

For a minimal installation of IRIX, you'll need:
* Foundation 1
* Foundation 2
* Applications
Though, for some useful work, I'd also recommend:
* Development Libraries
* Development Foundation

If you have any "Installation Tools and Overlays" CDs, boot from that (though, these alone aren't enough for a full install of IRIX, they're just an update).
For detailed instructions and other useful information about SGIs take a look here: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/sgi.html (installation instructions are here: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/6.5inst.html)

You should reformat the HD (instructions are in the link above, in the same document as the installing IRIX info), just in case.

netaddr=146.0.2.1 {THIS CONCERNS ME BECAUSE IT'S STANDALONE}

Unless you're doing a net install you should be fine...

videostatus=illegal_env_var {CONCERNS ME AS WELL-I'M USING AN OLDER HP PC MONITOR (VGA HDDB15 I THINK)}

This seems to be normal, it's the same here (using a Samsung 193T 19" LCD)...

Hope this helps,
Andrej.

my_o2

Thanks Andrej

Unread postby my_o2 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:45 am

Just letting me know that my two concerns regarding my env's helps a lot. I will try the links you gave me, and I'll format the HD. I would have earlier, but this o2 is much slower than I remember. I do have all of the original 6.5 CDs. Thanks again,

David.

my_o2

Okay, here's where I am at

Unread postby my_o2 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:23 pm

I hope this post makes sense...

I followed the installation directions on one of the links (thanks again Andrej), but when I tried to install, it still had the miniroot error. I made it through the "boot -f" commands, and the following...

"You will now be in the fx program. Press enter until you see the main menu (I'm assuming that controller 0, ID 1 will indeed be your root disk). Enter 'r' for repartition, 'ro' for root drive option, press Enter to confirm XFS, enter 'yes' to confirm the request, '..' to change menus up one level, 'l' to create a new disk label, 'sy' to sync the disk (write out the new label), and finally '/exit' to quit fx."

I read in an SGI doc that the miniroot error happens when the miniroot install gets interupted. This very well could be the case since I am hitting the reset button after 30 minutes, and even an hour once. Now, my new question is...does it take that long to reload (or fix) the miniroot from CD? When the screen goes black (after "Loading..." banner), the HD churns from time to time, but so far I've never seen it come back, and like I said, I waited an hour on one occasion. Any additional help would be great appreciated.

David.

akimmet
Donor
Donor

Re: Thanks Andrej

Unread postby akimmet » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:25 pm

my_o2 wrote:Just letting me know that my two concerns regarding my env's helps a lot. I will try the links you gave me, and I'll format the HD. I would have earlier, but this o2 is much slower than I remember. I do have all of the original 6.5 CDs. Thanks again,

David.

If were formatting as in low level formatting in FX DO not do it this procedure can easily ruin your drives in the event something goes wrong (power outage or some other event that halts the formatting process). Besides, doing a LLF will do nothing to help getting your machine up and running.

If you ment formatting as in the term used in the PC world as building your filesystems... Then yes you will need to do that. The miniroot should do that for you after you get your disk properly partitioned by using FX. The instructions mentioned earlier should walk you through the complete process.

Like ShadeOfBlue mentioned those environment varibles are harmless to you, don't worry about them.

my_o2

Thanks for the format info...

Unread postby my_o2 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:38 pm

but I think miniroot is my problem. For some reason, I can't get it to fully reload from CD (I'm using CD #1), nor can I get it to fix it. fx appears to be working fine, and I believe the HD is now ready; through partitioning, labeling, etc. I still come back to this error...

"It appears that a miniroot install failed. Either the system is misconfigured or a previous installation failed. If you think the miniroot is still valid, you may continue booting using the current miniroot image. If you are unsure about the current state of the miniroot, you can reload a new miniroot image. You may abort the installation and return to the menu, or you can fix (reset to normal) the miniroot install state. See the ‘Software Installation Guide’ chapter on Troubleshooting for more information.
Enter ‘c’ to continue booting the old miniroot with no state fixup.
Enter ‘f’ to fix miniroot install state, and try again.
Enter ‘r’ to reload the miniroot.
Enter ‘a’ to abort (cancel) the installation.
Enter your selection and press ENTER (c, f, r, or a)"

The SGI Doc says: "This error is posted when you try to reboot the miniroot after a power failure or a system reset interrupted the miniroot load process, risking the integrity of the miniroot."

The O2 has been black with an occasional grunt from the HD for almost 30 minutes now. It seems like fixing, or reloading, the miniroot could be accomplished within that time. So I'm wondering if something is wrong, or am I just too impatient?

David.

akimmet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby akimmet » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:01 pm

This can happen when the drive is improperly partitioned. Check your partition sizes, it is a common mistake to forget make the swap space, or to make it too small to fit the miniroot inside. This also happenes if your math was wronng when manually partitioning and have the swap either overlapping another partition or is ending past the end of your disk. It is most likley one of these problems if the loading bar never makes it to the end.

However if it isn't one of these problems, there is definatley something wrong. How about manually loading the diagnostics from the same install CD after loading sash. (try boot -f dksc(X,Y,8)sashARCS then dksc(X,Y,7)stand/ide.IP32 -fe X and Y being the SCSI bus and ID of your CDROM drive)
Last edited by akimmet on Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

my_o2

Okay...

Unread postby my_o2 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:47 pm

I increased my swap space. FYI, it is finishing the copying bar when I attempt to reload or fix the miniroot. It's about 2 seconds after the status bar completes that it goes black. My HD partitions look like this...

part type blocks Megabytes (base+size)
0: xfs 266240 + 102400 130 + 50
1: raw 4096 + 262144 2 + 128
6: xfs 368640 + 8519903 180 + 4160
8: volhdr 0 + 4096 0 + 2
10: volume 0 + 8888543 0 + 4340

When I tried... "boot -f dksc(X,Y,7)stand/ide.IP32 --fe" I got the following message...

"Unable to execute dksc(0,4,7)stand/ide.IP32: media not loaded
Unable to load dksc(0,4,7)stand/ide.IP32: no recognizable file system on device."

I am certain that the original CD #1 (not a copy) is in the CDROM, it's title is..."IRIX 6.5.6 Installation Tools and Overlays (1 of 2) November 1999" I tried to load from CD with the CDROM empty, and it gave me the predictable device error. A couple of other things that are interesting...

The HD is "Scsi drive type == SGI IBM DCHS04Y 3030"
I have no idea of any significance of this.

When I type "version" from within the Command Monitor, I get the following...
"PROM Monitor (BE)
Fri Dec 27 16:55:51 PST 1996
VERSION 4.0
O2 R4600/R5000/R10000
IRIX 6.3 IP32prom IP32PROM-v4"

I don't know if either of these bits of info are important, or not, but I thought it interesting that the time was so far off (unless it's the OS development date), and that the prom thinks it's running 6.3. This brings me to something else that might be important. When I first got the O2, I did get to the log in screen, but I had no "root" password. It said on the login screen that it was running 6.5. Thanks again.

David.

Scott Tarr

Unread postby Scott Tarr » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:49 pm

While the blinkenlights installation instructions are helpful, I find that over at majix, they are much more palatable to an sgi newbie.

Go http://obsolete.majix.org/irix/install-index.shtml and run through the options and see what's up. In particular, look at the fx config http://obsolete.majix.org/irix/install-fx.shtml here and make sure your blocks are correctly input into fx.

Good luck and keep us informed of your status.

akimmet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby akimmet » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:57 pm

Try using the diagnostics again, it should be correct now. Sorry about that but I do not have direct access to a SGI at the time being.

boot -f dksc(0,4,8)sashARCS
dksc(0,4,7)stand/ide.IP32 -fe

From some quick math checking it appears your partitions are correct, not bad at all for someone new to SGI.

The only other thing I can think of is to check your drive settings in the drive label. You can try to clear all those settings by write excercising the disk from block 0 to 10000 or so to clear it. Then forcing a power-off (don't give FX a chance to write a new one) Then starting all over again trying to partition your disk.

The mention of IRIX 6.3 just means the PROM version you have is just old, or SGI never changed the number in the updates...

Try fixing the date as well, which can be done in the PROM.

my_o2

Here's where I am at...

Unread postby my_o2 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:43 pm

I believe I was able to fix the miniroot. I followed the partitioning directions again from an earlier link (just to go sequentially through the directions). All was going great, except I realized that the link said I should see something like...
"fx: partitions in use detected on device
fx: devname seq owner state
fx: /dev/rdsk/dks0d1s0 1 xfs already in use"

But I didn't get any partition records at all. No errors mind you, but no records. It just says...

...opening dksc(0,1,0)
...drive selftest...OK

I am presently trying the "boot -f dksc(0,4,8)sashARCS dksc(0,4,7)stand/ide.IP32 -fe" and it is presently going through it's Ide tests. So far, so good, except that it did come up again saying the miniroot was bad, so I selected to "Fix" it and I got an "it's all good now" like message. What concerns me is I did that earlier, and hoped that wouldn't be an issue again. So this leaves me with these (that I'm aware of)...
1. I'm not getting any partitions listed.
2. Something is seriously wrong with miniroot.
3. The machine "runs out of gas" after the loading from CD banner and status bar finish.

Still workin' on it, it could be a late night. Thanks again.

David.

my_o2

Okay...

Unread postby my_o2 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:22 pm

This might be a telling event. From the "boot -f dksc(0,4,8)sashARCS dksc(0,4,7)stand/ide.IP32 -fe" command, it went through all the Ide tests as follows, NOT DIRECT QUOTES... I had to use a camcorder and frame-by-frame to get the last one...

FAST MEMORY TESTS
pattern=55
pattern=ff
CPU Tests
TLB test
FPU test
DCache 1 test
ICache 1
ICache 2
SCache 2
SCache 3
SCache 4
SCache 6
IP32 TESTS
counters test
12 C register
ethernet
scsi test
parallel port Loopback
seriel port Loopback
END IP TESTS
GRAPHICS TESTS
Starting Quick Graphics Test

Each test passed, except right after the "Starting Quick Graphics Test," the screen goes black just like it does after it completes the "Status Bar" on the loading from CD. If it did the "Quick Graphics Test" it was the quickest. Thanks for the info thus far, and any more would be greatly appreciated.

David.

ShadeOfBlue

Re: Okay...

Unread postby ShadeOfBlue » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:40 am

my_o2 wrote:Each test passed, except right after the "Starting Quick Graphics Test," the screen goes black just like it does after it completes the "Status Bar" on the loading from CD.

Well, it did the same thing here when I ran the diagnostics a few months ago, and IIRC, you must connect a serial console (or a computer with a terminal emulator program) to serial port 1 to see the results of the graphics tests...

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:27 am

akimmet wrote:The only other thing I can think of is to check your drive settings in the drive label. You can try to clear all those settings by write excercising the disk from block 0 to 10000 or so to clear it. Then forcing a power-off (don't give FX a chance to write a new one) Then starting all over again trying to partition your disk.

I concur with akimmet's procedure, though i would suggest you try to exersize the disk in full and write a brand spanking new label on the disk.
in fx:
- (exe)rsize
- (b)utterfly
- wr-cmp
- start (0) stop(<last-sector>)
... and this will take about 20 minutes. After that your disk only has zero's on it (or maybe 0x55 0xaa patterns). Then write a new label:
- (l)abel
- (c)reate
- (a)ll
- (s)ync
and exit fx

I also would suggest doing a 'resetenv' in your PROM, which can work wonders sometimes.

If everything else fails, try installing from a serial console. Maybe the O2 just needs a good reflashing of the PROM EEPROM, and the old PROM doesn't seem to like the combination of the GFX and the new 6.5 install menu program. who knows...

BTW, that's an *old* PROM you are having. Amazing that it lists the R4600 as a possible CPU option in the O2...

my_o2

Status...

Unread postby my_o2 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:45 pm

Okay, here's what I've done today...

- (exe)rsize
- (b)utterfly
- wr-cmp
- start (0) stop(<last-sector>)
... and this will take about 20 minutes. After that your disk only has zero's on it (or maybe 0x55 0xaa patterns).

Actually, this took over an hour. I don't know if that should concern me.

Then write a new label:
- (l)abel
- (c)reate
- (a)ll
- (s)ync
and exit fx

I did above as well. It seemed to work fine. It prompted me to save/write something at the end, and I confirmed "Yes."

I still can not get the machine to stop dieing after loading install data from CD (the status bar says it's completet but then goes black). Also, after performing the Ide tests, right after printing "Quick Graphics Test" it dies. I put a serial wire to terminate serial port 1, but that didn't help.

One other thing, I can not get it to recognize the partitions on the HD. It displays them in fx fine, but where I should be getting something like...

"fx: partitions in use detected on device
fx: devname seq owner state
fx: /dev/rdsk/dks0d1s0 1 xfs already in use"

I am getting...

...opening dksc(0,1,0)
...drive selftest...OK

I have tried everything, and I can't get any errors, but I can't get any further either. I can't find anything online to tell me about the "going black' problem. About that issue, the HD does churn for a couple of seconds after going black, and I can hear it off and on for a while afterward, but it never comes back (I've waited an hour on some occasions). After resetting, anything else I try, it says that the miniroot wasn't allowed to finish, and I have to fix it, or reload it. I'm at a loss.
More ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the recommendations so far.

David.

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”