O2 Question(s)

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
my_o2

Still Nothing...

Unread postby my_o2 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:41 pm

I may be reaching at straws, but one of the links I have been following (thanks to you guys/girls) led to "Starting the Installation." I had gotten that far with everything looking fine (other than the machine dies at certain known points-see posts above), and I thought I was really about to see something. What I saw was my first actual "Error." I typed "Install" at the "sash" command line, I got a popup that said,

"Unable to open source other(0)scsi(0)cdrom(4)rdisk(0)partition(8)(mr).
no such device."

I haven't had any problems with any hardware thus far, so I'm a little concerned that I'm missing something here (mentally speaking). Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

David.

GeneratriX

A Suggest...

Unread postby GeneratriX » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:25 am

Souds like a poor connection, or a hard disk fail.

You can give a try to it:

- Disconnect the AC power cord from your O2 box
- Pull-out all the sleds from each bay on the O2 chasis
- Clean carefully with a soft brush each connection on the box internals, and the pulled-out sleds
- Use a little of Isopropylic Alcohol to clean the mobo connections
- Make you sure that all subsystems are firmly attached to the mobo, and that it was firmly attached to the O2 chasis. Same for sleds. Same for power supply unit.
- Get all the assembly ready again.
- Make all the fx process from scratch again
- Good luck! 8)

akimmet
Donor
Donor

Re: Still Nothing...

Unread postby akimmet » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:41 am

my_o2 wrote:I may be reaching at straws, but one of the links I have been following (thanks to you guys/girls) led to "Starting the Installation." I had gotten that far with everything looking fine (other than the machine dies at certain known points-see posts above), and I thought I was really about to see something. What I saw was my first actual "Error." I typed "Install" at the "sash" command line, I got a popup that said,

"Unable to open source other(0)scsi(0)cdrom(4)rdisk(0)partition(8)(mr).
no such device."

I haven't had any problems with any hardware thus far, so I'm a little concerned that I'm missing something here (mentally speaking). Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

David.

Hmm... After loading sash check to see if there really is a miniroot on your install CD. do a ls dksc(0,4,8) to see if there is a file called mr. If that isn't there you have a bad CD set, it dosen't have a miniroot on it. Since I remember you mentioning the CD you said you have a CD labeled "Installation Tools and Overlays" the miniroot should be there.

my_o2

Continued Thanks to everyone for their help so far...

Unread postby my_o2 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:32 am

MR is on the CD. I did an ls and it is there, as is sash, sash64, and sgilabel (I think. It's sgi-something). I'm going to go get the o2 at lunch, and remove and clean everything. Thanks again for the recommendations.

David.

my_o2

Day 4, or so?

Unread postby my_o2 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:34 pm

Okay, here is where I am at now. I checked the CDROM hardware, and I did find that the 4th pin has been bent (it is creased), and that might some day cause me some problems, but for now, it seems to be working fine.

My next quesion...I've read that a low-level format of the HD can cause problems. If I bought this machine from someone who didn't know that, and they did it, what would the symptoms be? Is it possible that is what I'm looking at? If so, can I re-format it as a last case try, or is it all lost, and just get a new HD? Thanks again for everyone who has taken time to give me some help.

David.

dexter1

Re: Day 4, or so?

Unread postby dexter1 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:29 am

This bent pin can cause disruptions of the scsi chain. You may be better of removing that cdrom and try an external

my_o2 wrote:My next quesion...I've read that a low-level format of the HD can cause problems. If I bought this machine from someone who didn't know that, and they did it, what would the symptoms be? Is it possible that is what I'm looking at? If so, can I re-format it as a last case try, or is it all lost, and just get a new HD?

I've done formatting in fx only once in my early days and that disk didn't survive it. I would advise you to forget the disk and try to pick up a new one. That's not good news, i know :(

You don't have to thank us everytime for giving advice to you :) We are glad you have seen the light, embraced the IRIX religion and have cast the Chains of Linux from you.

<subliminal> RedHat is evil, repeat :twisted: </subliminal>

Ahem :D it's nice to have compliments though.

Scott Tarr

Unread postby Scott Tarr » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:29 am

I've probably formatted using fx about 5 times in the last few months. I keep getting newer drives and reinstalling. No problems whatsoever.

Yeah, it might be a lot easier to just get an external drive. I'm hard-headed like that.

akimmet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby akimmet » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:10 am

Scott Tarr wrote:I've probably formatted using fx about 5 times in the last few months. I keep getting newer drives and reinstalling. No problems whatsoever.

Yeah, it might be a lot easier to just get an external drive. I'm hard-headed like that.

And you will usually be safe doing this until something happens, like a power outage or some other error that interups this process and the drive will be ruined. Unless you want to spend $$$$ to have the drive's internal bad block data, head skew, temprature correction tables, and so much more re-written.

Also note that if a LLF takes less than five minutes, the drive is faking it. Alot of modern 10kRPM or faster drives and faster do this. Some older drives are known to do this too...

Try bending the pin on the CDROM drive back to where it belongs. Pin 4 should be a signal ground line, and will cause less problems broken off than possibly shorting out other signals, so don't worry that much.

Go ahead and try the LLF. However; make sure you will have atleast an hour to make sure no one does anything to the machine, and to make sure there will be no interuptions to power (a ups would be a good idea). DO not try to abort the format unless the process has taken more than 3 hours. If you do get an error during the formatting, the drive is toast and almost always because of a previously failed format.

I know I seem over-paranoid, but problems always seem to occour when you try to do a uninturruptable 20minute process...

Edit: made some corrections...
Last edited by akimmet on Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Scott Tarr

Unread postby Scott Tarr » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:44 pm

akimmet states:
And you will usually be safe doing this until something happens, like a power outage or some other error that interups this process and the drive will be ruined. Unless you want to spend $$$$ to have the drive's internal servoing data and firmware re-written.

Are you suggesting I don't put my machines on UPS? ;)

The statement that it would damage a servo is incorrect on modern hard drives. Platters have either wedge servos (old skool) or embedded servos (new matriculation style) . Both protect the servo via circuitry that cannot be overridden by software. In other words, any write operations are blocked whenever the heads are above the servo information and therefore it is impossible to overwrite the servo information with a low-level format. :D

akimmet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby akimmet » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:41 am

Scott Tarr wrote:akimmet states:
And you will usually be safe doing this until something happens, like a power outage or some other error that interups this process and the drive will be ruined. Unless you want to spend $$$$ to have the drive's internal servoing data and firmware re-written.

Are you suggesting I don't put my machines on UPS? ;)

Not at all... I was directing my post towards my_O2...

Scott Tarr wrote:The statement that it would damage a servo is incorrect on modern hard drives. Platters have either wedge servos (old skool) or embedded servos (new matriculation style) . Both protect the servo via circuitry that cannot be overridden by software. In other words, any write operations are blocked whenever the heads are above the servo information and therefore it is impossible to overwrite the servo information with a low-level format. :D

Lets not forget the dedicated servo method....

While it is true any remotley modern drive hardware will not let the servoing data get touched (protected by hardware not just firmware), I have seen some really bad frimware let things like this happen on failed LLF's (I'm talking to you Compaq and WD).

However; no matter what, the repair of internal drive settings that are now borked (some stored in the HDA not just the removable logic board), will still cost $$$$ on a drive worth not even 1/8 of that value...

friedbits

O2 trouble

Unread postby friedbits » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:23 pm

I had the exact same problem on my O2 and I did all the usual stuff that you
have already tried, to no avail.

For some reason, the install only worked using the miniroot from a 6.5.7+
overlay.

Maybe someone with more IRIX knowledge than me can shed light on this?
But at least this is something you can try on your box.

so long
Tobias

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: O2 trouble

Unread postby nekonoko » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:03 pm

friedbits wrote:I had the exact same problem on my O2 and I did all the usual stuff that you
have already tried, to no avail.

For some reason, the install only worked using the miniroot from a 6.5.7+
overlay.

Maybe someone with more IRIX knowledge than me can shed light on this?
But at least this is something you can try on your box.

so long
Tobias

You don't mention which CPU you have in your O2, but chances are it's new enough where support simply didn't exist until 6.5.7+. It's always best to install using the latest IRIX available to avoid issues like this - don't use the base 6.5 installation tools CD unless you absolutely have to.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

friedbits

Unread postby friedbits » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:22 pm

You don't mention which CPU you have in your O2, but chances are it's new
enough where support simply didn't exist until 6.5.7+.

I figured it might be something like this, it's a r12k. So this is probably not
the solution to his problem :-(

so long
Tobias

my_o2

Okay, here's where I'm at...

Unread postby my_o2 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:39 pm

I did the LLF, and it came back and said successful; no error msgs. either. It took about 80 to 90 minutes.

Unfortunately, it did no good whatsoever, and the exact same problems that I was having, I am still having. I'm seeing a pattern here. Everytime it appears I'm getting somewhere (i.e. loading install data to disk), and it just goes blank, the next time I bring it up, I have to fix the miniroot. After fixing the miniroot, I am able to get into fx. If I try to go into fx after it dies, it always comes up and says the miniroot is damaged. I think the CDROM is in good shape, and I can read it, and ls it. What's odd is that the HD seems fine too. I can label, partition, etc. it without any problems.

I'm getting the feeling that my IRIX 6.5.6 CDs are old, and may be my problem. This seems odd to me since this machine surely ran with an older OS when new. Could I purchase the IRIX that came with it (like off eBay)?

David.

Rev.Bubba

Unread postby Rev.Bubba » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:25 pm

I have been experiencing the same issues with the miniroot all wekk on this Octane of mine. i have a set of 6.5.11 cds. Tried two cd-roms an si, ssi, three drives and anything else. I am at a loss. So don't feel like you are alone. Your answer may be mine too. :D
Always act incompetent, so they expect less of you and your job will be much easier.

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”