Noctua fan mod on a Cisco WS-C1400 FDDI Concentrator

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Noctua fan mod on a Cisco WS-C1400 FDDI Concentrator

Unread postby jan-jaap » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:49 pm

Since I had to remove my WS-C1400 concentrator from the rack to replace one of the line cards, I decided to do a fan mod on it to silence it a little.

I used Noctue NF-A8 PWM fans since they can provide nearly as much airflow as the original fans. But the Cisco disapproved: it's fan monitoring circuit triggered a fan failed condition. The original fans were simple 2-wire models so it probably measures the current. I solved this by installing a pair of programmable PWM fan controllers. :)

The Noctua fans:
DSC_1175.JPG

Closeup of the PWM fan controllers, mounted inbetween the fans:
DSC_1170.JPG

Pieced back together:
DSC_1182.JPG

With the temp sensors attached, it starts the fans at 20% by default which triggers the fan alert again. If you remove the temp sensor, you can set a fixed rate, which I set at circa 10% above the fan alert threshold. The Cisco is happy, and so am I:
DSC_1184.JPG

Meet my nemesis, the Dallas battery backed NVRAM. This one should have expired a decade ago, so I guess that will be my next project for this concentrator. For now it's keeping time (and the configuration, I guess).
Attachments
DSC_1173.JPG
Last edited by jan-jaap on Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

robespierre

Re: Noctua fan mod on a Cisco WS-C1400 FDDI Concentrator

Unread postby robespierre » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:59 pm

Thanks, I have two of these concentrators and this should be helpful info.
Were SC or LC-connector line cards ever made for them?
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:16 pm

jan-jaap wrote: I decided to do a fan mod on it to silence it a little.

Sniveller :) I did a 3660 that had six of the damned noisy things ! The stupid fans were worth more than the router :(

I see you're stuck with hard-mounting, at least with the fan assembly on the 3660 you can use the wobbly pegs instead. But I like your cheat-the-monitor thingy, I just turned off monitoring. Retaining that safety feature is a bit more elegant.
hey friendly ! come outta there ! you're a cheap lousy dirty stinkin' mug and I'm glad what I done !

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:01 am

robespierre wrote:Thanks, I have two of these concentrators and this should be helpful info.
Were SC or LC-connector line cards ever made for them?

Not LC, but SC:
WS-C1400 manual wrote:Following are the available concentrator models:
• WS-X1441—8 multimode, MIC connector, FDDI ports
• WS-X1444—8 single-mode, ST connector, FDDI ports
• WS-X1450—2 multimode, MIC connector, FDDI ports and 12 RJ-45 connector, CDDI/MLT-3 ports
• WS-X1455—10 multimode, SC connector, FDDI ports
• WS-X1483—16 RJ-45 connector, CDDI/MLT-3 ports

What you see mostly on eBay are the ones with MIC or CDDI ports. I have one myself which came with dual X1441 line cards, and that worked fine for many years.

But since I moved into my new computer room 5 years ago, I never had everything wired properly. I have some ~ 25 systems there. I have a rack for switches, cyclades port server, FDDI concentrator etc etc. Distances to the rack are often 10-20m so we're talking about hundreds of meters of cable here. At the rack, I would have a bundle of 60+ ethernet+serial wires, plus ~ 30 fibers for FC and FDDI. Normally, in a 'hobby' network you run patch cables from the switch to the systems, but this is either extremely inflexible or messy with these numbers of wires. In an office network, you run cable through ducts with outlets at regular intervals and terminate it at a patch rack. This is over the top for a hobby room, and inflexible as well. Plus it's complicated with all the fibers.

I've decided to go with a hybrid of these two opposites: I have a gutter in the floor with entry points at regular intervals. I run regular (flexible, stranded) patch cables through it. In order not to tie the rack forever to this vast 'spider' of cable, I do terminate everything on a small (4U) bracket installed on the wall behind the 19" rack. So I can detach the rack if I ever want/need to.

Now back to the FDDI network. Most of the older systems (4D, Onyx etc) have MIC connectors. For the new room I need new, longer fibers. First I thought I'd need several 20m long MIC-MIC fibers to connect the systems directly to the WS-C1400. Then I came up with the 4U patch bracket. Needless to say, anything with MIC connectors is kind of hard to find right now, but a 16 port SC/SC 1U fiber patch panel isn't. So I went with that, which means that my 20m MIC-MIC cables had to be 15m SC-MIC cables, and I will run 5m patch cables from the wall to the concentrator. There's only one person on eBay left who sells fibers with MIC connectors in numbers and it's not a bargain. So, rather than buying a dozen 5m SC-MIC patch fibers, I decided to replace one line card for WS-X1455 with SC connectors, and run regular SC-SC fibers from the wall to the concentrator. :)

The new WS-X1455 line card with 10 SC connectors (dust caps in 8 of them):
DSC_1178.JPG

The WS-X1441 line card with 8 MIC connectors. If you look carefully, you'll notice the first two ports are keyed red/blue, this is the DAS 'ring' to a tiny Linux system which routes the FDDI segment to my ethernet. The rest are keyed green, and are SAS ports to my SGIs. Again, most have dust caps installed right now:
DSC_1179.JPG

This is what it looks like installed in the WS-C1400. I *think* if I put the MIC card in the bottom (primary) slot, it plays nice with the A/B ring LEDs on the front:
DSC_1181.JPG

I'll post some updates on my cabling job when I have something to show.

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:34 am

I swear, you are the last lunatic on the face of this planet who still operates an FDDI network without it being ironic.

Be glad that there were fewer options for Token Ring or you would be using that instead. :P
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:52 pm

pentium wrote:I swear, you are the last lunatic on the face of this planet who still operates an FDDI network without it being ironic.

Be glad that there were fewer options for Token Ring or you would be using that instead. :P

:lol:

I guess I was at the right place at the right time to pick up a lot of FDDI gear. I had one or two SGI systems that had it, and then someone offered up what was probably a Cisco training setup, so suddenly I had several PCI cards, a concentrator and a large selection of fibers. It reached 'critical mass', so to say. At some point I acquired a large batch of 4D boards which included several VME FDDI boards, so now I can basically put every SGI that originally came with only 10Mb ethernet on FDDI. I never felt the urge to add ATM or ethernet-over-FC to the mix even though I have systems that could do that.

I have a rackmount PDU in my server rack that I use to switch power to the concentrator and the FDDI router PC whenever I want to have some fun with an SGI on the FDDI network. It doesn't run 24/7.

And lets not forget that FDDI works really well on old SGIs. It's not like that 100Mb ethernet board for the Onyx, or that EISA ethernet board for the Indigo2.

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”