WSI WEATHERProducer and Showfx

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
jm2014

WSI WEATHERProducer and Showfx

Unread postby jm2014 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Hello everyone,
I am new to these forums and still learning about SGI systems in general. My knowledge of SGI systems came from me growing up watching The Weather Channel, particularity learning about their WeatherStar XL systems. I am currently on the hunt for more info or any machines having WSI's WEATHERProducer and ShowFx installed. I did see one for sale back in 2008, http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16718898&p=7283263&hilit=WSI#p7283263, and these software suites were used extensively by The Weather Channel since the 90s and recently retired back in December 2016. They were the data hub for all their weather info, tv graphics, and web maps.

This piece of software was distributed commercially from 1995 to about 2008, originally running on Octane2 machines, there was also a RedHat version available from about 2002 to 2008, and was later replaced by their TruVu Max programs, which run on a Windows environment. Another program called TruVu Titan, a rebranded version of TrueView Interactive(SkyTracker), was run on RedHat and was the first HD capable weather graphics program by WSI. The company (WSI) was later bought out by IBM and is now called "The Weather Company", which now hosts weather.com.
This software is now considered abandon ware, all trademarks have expired, and very little info is available.

I am hoping someone here knows a little more about this or any suggestions for tracking down this piece of software, as I am extremely desperate to get my hands on the glory days of TV weather.

My hope is too find the software, or source code, and remake all of their graphics with current weather data. Granted it will need a lot of finessing, as data sources and formats have changed over the last couple of decades. I am not sure if anyone here has any connections to WSI or knew someone who owned this piece of software, but I will keeping hunting until I find it. Very unlikely the source code was deleted and is probably stored somewhere.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Re: WSI WEATHERProducer and Showfx

Unread postby Krokodil » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:29 pm

If you do find it, make sure you hold onto it tightly, because you may never find it again.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:
Alphaserver DS10 - 466MHZ
Sun Ultra 5 - 440MHZ.

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 pm

Didn't we see one more of these show up on Ebay in the last year or so?

I seem to remember posting on a thread about this same type of weather system o2.

SiliconClassics post here with some regularity, he may have more info for you.
Image O2 - 300mhz
Image O2 - 400mhz :1600SW: 1600sw
:Octane: 2x400mhz :O200: Origin 200 2x225mhz
aka Casey Christopher

jm2014

Unread postby jm2014 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:50 am

Intuition wrote:Didn't we see one more of these show up on Ebay in the last year or so?

I seem to remember posting on a thread about this same type of weather system o2.

SiliconClassics post here with some regularity, he may have more info for you.

Thanks for that! I will definitely keep looking. Hopefully one pops up shortly but these are rare machines.

JacquesT

Unread postby JacquesT » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:01 am

:Octane: wip build - Currently 2xR10000 250Mhz, 640MB RAM, SSI graphics, 18GB 10K RPM HDD. Lucent and HD fan mod.

jm2014

Unread postby jm2014 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:38 am

JacquesT wrote:Like these?

https://youtu.be/ukdWKPeBSps

No, that was another program sold at the time. I'm looking for weather producer and looks like siliconclassics has bought one. I don't know if he still has it. I am dying for that piece of hardware and if he was willing to sell the O2 or somehow legally copy the software, I will be thrilled! I grew up watching the weather and this would be my childhood in my possession. I don't know how much he'd be willing to sell it for but, if it's 500+ I'm going to need a few weeks as I do have other expenses.

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi, unfortunately I sold that O2 almost a decade ago but I'll try to track down the buyer for you to see if he still has it.
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”