getting back into the "octane swing"

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
joshiggins

getting back into the "octane swing"

Unread postby joshiggins » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:36 pm

I picked up a couple of Octanes last year but never really had much time to get going with them. I drove them half way across the country strapped into the back of the car and thankfully didn't need the booster seats :lol: Since then I also picked up a Discreet Octane 2 with loads of goodies and very recently a cache of gdm-4011p's (cheers Jeb!).

Well now I have some time to mess around. And I found a nice little corner in the HPC machine room at the university...

I'm using an Adderlink to extend the main display to my desk in the adjacent room. It puts the display, kb/mouse and a serial port over a CAT5 cable. For the second monitor I just ran a long VGA through that hole in the wall.

I did eventually get the courage to take the graphics board out of one and add it to the other without damaging any of the compression connectors or destroying both Octanes! :D

Most of the work I do is on remote systems through ssh (admin for the campus HPC grid) so this environment will suit me well and I can give the old girl some day to day use. It was making me sad having these systems around and never turning them on...

Aside from that, I'm also glad to find the tetex distribution and texmaker in nekoware, so now I can use it to write my thesis. It looks like a previous owner had used this Octane for a similar purpose, so I will continue the tradition!
:Octane2: :Octane: :Octane:

necron2600

Re: getting back into the "octane swing"

Unread postby necron2600 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:36 pm

How is the Adderlink? Would you be able to render graphics well over that or would it feel more like a remote desktop session?

JacquesT

Unread postby JacquesT » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:37 am

Well done fella! Good to see the Octane getting some up-time. If you need another GDM and feel like a road trip you can have the one I got from Jeb :)
:Octane: wip build - Currently 2xR10000 250Mhz, 640MB RAM, SSI graphics, 18GB 10K RPM HDD. Lucent and HD fan mod.

joshiggins

Unread postby joshiggins » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:14 am

necron2600 wrote:How is the Adderlink? Would you be able to render graphics well over that or would it feel more like a remote desktop session?

It's great, there is no discernible loss in quality and it's silky smooth. For all intents and purposes its a local console. It's not IP based, just using the CAT5 cable.

I've got a servswitch wizard extender that I wanted to try also but not had a chance yet. Don't think this one will support SOG though, and the usb will be kind of redundant.

JacquesT wrote:Well done fella! Good to see the Octane getting some up-time. If you need another GDM and feel like a road trip you can have the one I got from Jeb :)

Cheers haha! I do like a good road trip..... :lol:
:Octane2: :Octane: :Octane:

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:32 am

Good work Josh! ;o)

mopar5150

Unread postby mopar5150 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:51 pm

Two glass monitors is just awesome! I still remember when a sony fixed frequency 19" was $1900.
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :O3x0: :A350:

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”