Display - Valid Formats etc?

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
uunix
Donor
Donor

Display - Valid Formats etc?

Unread postby uunix » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:40 pm

I've never really had much trouble guessing, but I wonder could someone explain the secrets of the available display formats.. that is..
Valid Formats..
DX
X
@
2@
_ds
_DL
r2
Valid Combinations..
D
Tiles

This is helpful for myself as I have in the past paid no heed to any of it, but also new comers? What does it all mean?
[Edit] BTW, I posted this because I knew I was selecting the correct format but getting strange streaks.. turns out auto adjust on the monitor solved that. Saying that, I think it's still a good question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

gijoe77

Re: Display - Valid Formats etc?

Unread postby gijoe77 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:30 pm

I don't know for sure, but this is how I understand them (or think i do...):

DX - (I read it as "Don't reload X") means you can load it now and run it, no restart of the Xserver needed, i.e. no logout/login needed
X - Means Xserver does need to be restarted, or you will have to logout and login to use the res
@ and 2@ - edit: Hamei kindly reminded me these are for dual displays, I thought it was Stereo but maybe those had an "s", I forget
DL - Discreet logic provided .vfo files that get installed when you install a Discreet Logic product

not sure about r2 or ds

For Valid Combinations, I am completely guessing that has to do with a select part of the screen (tile) that gets sent via DM2/DM3 to a DM5 in a VBOB in order to be displayed in a reference monitor
Last edited by gijoe77 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

robespierre

Re: Display - Valid Formats etc?

Unread postby robespierre » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:17 am

Combinations are a specific feature of Infinite Reality graphics, using ircombine(1g). I believe Tiles is also part of that. Other architectures do not have combinations, they have single display formats (.vfc and .vfo files).

I believe that X means that the mode is supported to display X (the desktop). Modes without X will not be stored permanently because they would not be suitable for use with the desktop. D means that Xsgi can switch Directly to that mode without restarting. Restarting Xsgi is usually needed when switching to or from _32db modes.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”