Wow. Installing cu has turned out to be a nightmare.

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
scottE

Wow. Installing cu has turned out to be a nightmare.

Unread postby scottE » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Right. I've never done this before. But the discs I made from the IRIX 6.5.22 overlays on OS X don't work or won't work (udf is apparently readable from everything but swmgr/inst—literally. I can copy a few files, get a dir listing from ls at the shell, but swmgr just doesn't like it). I wish I knew what swmgr/inst wants from this.

Conditions I'm dealing with:

• Helicoprion is on 6.5.22f; and a CDROM is installed
  • I have the rest of IRIX install media, but not overlays for 6.5.22, apparently
  • I've a 2 GB HD in the Indy. That's it. And it's over 90% full.
  • I cannot access the internet/LAN. It's WiFi only here.
  • No serial terminal (not that this would help, but I thought I'd mention it again)

Even if I could access the LAN, the overlays are gzipped tarfiles which amount to more space than I have available. I could expand them, but they would still have to reside on the remote server (microceratops, the OS X mini running Yosemite, in this case).

Is there a way to install eoe.sw.uucp without dealing with the conflicts? Like, force an install in spite of the conflicts? (Or is this a bad idea, no matter what?) I just need something to use Helicoprion as one for another, ailing machine.

I'm also open to any alternatives to cu if they can be copied to CDR and will fit within the disk space limitations.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: Wow. Installing cu has turned out to be a nightmare.

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:00 pm

If you're using static IP and all the computers on your LAN are on the same subnet, then all you need is a hub (or a crossover cable) and you should be able to ftp anything you want from your OSX box to your Indy. According to the "Serial Access" page on the wiki cu is in the eoe.sw.uucp package (or something like that).
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Might try that--if I can't work anything else out (I lack an Ethernet crossover cable or a kit and supplieds to make a crossover cable). But as it happens, I found my old scsi jazz drive! I was able to stumble on a blank disk, too. 1 GB only, which wasn't enough for all three overlay sets, but it turned out I didn't need the second disc (just 1 and 3).

I was finally able to install cu! Alas, I need to power down everything and go grocery shopping, but at least that step is done.

I guess cu isn't inserted into bin or sbin? Whatever, I'll find it after I return.

Fistbump for the jaz from the past!
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:12 am

But the discs I made from the IRIX 6.5.22 overlays on OS X don't work or won't work (udf is apparently readable from everything but swmgr

How did you actually burn/master the packages? Why UDF instead of Rock Ridge or something?
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:16 am

ClassicHasClass wrote:
But the discs I made from the IRIX 6.5.22 overlays on OS X don't work or won't work (udf is apparently readable from everything but swmgr

How did you actually burn/master the packages? Why UDF instead of Rock Ridge or something?

1. On OS X El Capitan (laptop, but used an external drive to burn the files)
2. Copied the gziped files from microceratops, untarred 'em.
3. Selected the files, right-clicked > Burn files to disc.
4. Apparently UDF was just the default.

I didn't really think about it. Never had any issues with this method before transferring files around, but I've also never had to do installs this way, either.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:04 am

I actually suspect the UDF format is in fact the problem. I'd do Rock Ridge (or some other ISO 9660 variant, just not UDF).
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:05 pm

Rock Ridge attributes are the correct type for Unix systems. Don't use Joliet or Macintosh attributes.
Irix 6.5.22 does claim to support UDF filesystems, so I suspect that the problem was an incompatible version of UDF (such as 2.60), or missing files.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:18 pm

Makes sense.

Ugh, I hate being caught unprepared like that, so since I found the jaz drive, I'm going to master some bootable overlay disks for future use, since I don't have any for 6.5.22.

I've been parting out a lot of the old collection to pay some bills and fund our next art show, so much of this is becoming less necessary.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”