New octane does nothing

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
LarBob
Donor
Donor

New octane does nothing

Unread postby LarBob » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:24 pm

so, I just received an Octane, and upon boot it does nothing at all. There's no sounds or anything. I'm guessing the PSU is dead, but is there something else I should check/look for first?
:Octane: Aezora - 2xR10k 250 MHz - 1 GB RAM - 6.5.30

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: New octane does nothing

Unread postby uunix » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:39 pm

No sound.. do you have speakers plugged in?
Does the PSU 'CLICK' when you plug the kettle lead in? (Get your ear close).

If it's been transported by car or post, you may want to reseat everything. Your best bet.

Although yes.. it sounds like PSU gone to the great PSU pile along with a lot of my own. I doubt you will get anything from the serial, but it's worth a shot.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:40 pm

uunix wrote:No sound.. do you have speakers plugged in?
Does the PSU 'CLICK' when you plug the kettle lead in? (Get your ear close).

If it's been transported by car or post, you may want to reseat everything. Your best bet.

Although yes.. it sounds like PSU gone to the great PSU pile along with a lot of my own. I doubt you will get anything from the serial, but it's worth a shot.

By no sound I meant there was no click from the psu, no fan whir, etc. sorry.
I also don't think the serial would do anything either as I don't hear anything at all from the machine.
Also, I reseated the cpu board and everything but there's no dice. I think the PSU is just borked. (how much am I expecting to pay for a replacement anyway..?)

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:39 pm

LarBob wrote:how much am I expecting to pay for a replacement anyway..?

There's a 747 watt Cherokee on Ebay right now for eighty five frogskins, seller refurbished with a 30 day warranty, I would say grab it because that's about the lowest price you'll ever see one for on the bay. Do you still need one of the 13W3 -> VGA converters? Sorry that sort of slipped off my to-do list but if you still need one I'll send it ASAP... :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:46 pm

vishnu wrote:
LarBob wrote:how much am I expecting to pay for a replacement anyway..?

There's a 747 watt Cherokee on Ebay right now for eighty five frogskins, seller refurbished with a 30 day warranty, I would say grab it because that's about the lowest price you'll ever see one for on the bay. Do you still need one of the 13W3 -> VGA converters? Sorry that sort of slipped off my to-do list but if you still need one I'll send it ASAP... :shock:

I got one, now it seems I just need a psu lol (but thank you very much!). I don't think I'll get that one though as I'm not sure I have 85 shekels (well, 109 because of shipping) to spare right now. Oh well..
Could I just replace the caps on this one?

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:28 pm

Yes, if you're good with a soldering iron (and a solder sucker) you can probably fix it. Have you taken it apart yet? Usually the failed part will give up it's identity by having scorched the board around it which alleviates you the necessity of having to blanket-replace parts (caps etc.). So try taking the cover off and get out your magnifying glass...
Project:
Plan:

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:33 am

vishnu wrote:Yes, if you're good with a soldering iron (and a solder sucker) you can probably fix it. Have you taken it apart yet? Usually the failed part will give up it's identity by having scorched the board around it which alleviates you the necessity of having to blanket-replace parts (caps etc.). So try taking the cover off and get out your magnifying glass...

I took it apart last night and everything looked fine really. Nothing I could see looked scorched and the caps looked fine.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:00 am

LarBob wrote:
vishnu wrote:Yes, if you're good with a soldering iron (and a solder sucker) you can probably fix it. Have you taken it apart yet? Usually the failed part will give up it's identity by having scorched the board around it which alleviates you the necessity of having to blanket-replace parts (caps etc.). So try taking the cover off and get out your magnifying glass...

I took it apart last night and everything looked fine really. Nothing I could see looked scorched and the caps looked fine.

If you've got a voltmeter you could try tracking the input AC to wherever the point of failure might be...
Project:
Plan:

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:08 am

vishnu wrote:
LarBob wrote:

If you've got a voltmeter you could try tracking the input AC to wherever the point of failure might be...

Probably will do tonight, just have to have time lol.
edit: also, does someone have a link to the pinout of the Lucent psu because I did a quick google and couldn't find it. Thanks.

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Try pulling the graphics and starting up without them. I have a SI board in my parts pile that when installed causes the same - well, almost...the PSU fan make about 1 turn before it shuts off with this bad card.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:05 pm

japes wrote:Try pulling the graphics and starting up without them. I have a SI board in my parts pile that when installed causes the same - well, almost...the PSU fan make about 1 turn before it shuts off with this bad card.

Okay, I tried that and it didn't really make a change (thanks for the suggestion though). I noticed that sometimes the PSU does make sort of a click when power is plugged in, but either way it doesn't work.

edit: Just for fun, I set up an old laptop and tried to see if anything was going over serial (though I knew there wouldn't be cuz the PSU literally does nothing, lol). Is there a schematic of the psu somewhere?

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:13 pm

I don't think any of the Octane power supply circuit diagrams ever made it out into the wild, wasted quite a bit of time trying to find one on the gray market...
Project:
Plan:

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:06 pm

vishnu wrote:I don't think any of the Octane power supply circuit diagrams ever made it out into the wild, wasted quite a bit of time trying to find one on the gray market...

It's okay lol, thanks. I bought the Cherokee PSU off of eBay, supposed to come Wednesday. Stay tuned I guess... :lol:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:55 pm

LarBob wrote:
vishnu wrote:I don't think any of the Octane power supply circuit diagrams ever made it out into the wild, wasted quite a bit of time trying to find one on the gray market...

It's okay lol, thanks. I bought the Cherokee PSU off of eBay, supposed to come Wednesday. Stay tuned I guess... :lol:

If nothing else it will get you to the next failure level... ;)
Project:
Plan:

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:18 am

vishnu wrote:
LarBob wrote:

If nothing else it will get you to the next failure level... ;)

True, let's hope there's not another failure level to get to though. :lol:

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”