Which machines are compatible with Mekton?

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Devil Master

Which machines are compatible with Mekton?

Unread postby Devil Master » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:26 am

Last year I made some posts about running various software in stereoscopy on an SGI machine. Well, nothing came of it, because I realized I would be doing something that can be done much more easily on a PC. I figured that, if I get an SGI machine, I might as well get one that runs software a PC cannot.
So far, the most intriguing thing I've seen is the Mekton game that is part of the Certain Impact demo suite, because it looks retro, but at the same time doesn't quite fit with what people expect retro games to look like. So, here's the info I've gathered:
- HighIMPACT and MaxIMPACT Indigo2 systems will run those demos, but SolidIMPACT systems won't because they don't support textures (did I understand this right?)
- Vpro-based Octane systems won't run the demos because of incompatible architecture
- IMPACT-based Octane systems will (but are all of them compatible? SI, SSI, MXI, SE, SSE and MXE?)

I've read rumors about a custom O2 system that will run Certain Impact demos, and this thread contains contrasting opinions about whether Vpro-based Octane systems will run them or not. Can anyone help me in sorting out what is correct and what isn't?
Last edited by Devil Master on Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

computron

Re: Which machines are compatible with Certain Impact demos?

Unread postby computron » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:47 pm

as i remember Mekton work on my IR, RE and Vpro stuff

Cheers

Eve

Devil Master

Unread postby Devil Master » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:18 pm

computron wrote:as i remember Mekton work on my IR, RE and Vpro stuff

Did it work on Vpro machines right out of the box, or did anything need to be reconfigured in some way, like some said in the thread I linked in my previous post?

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:21 pm

Certain Impact is just one demo, although it's probably one of the best. A few demos come stock with later versions of IRIX. But the best ones come on individual disks themselves. O2 demos, Octane demos, Onyx Demos. Ian's documentation explains that Certain Impact will work on vPro, despite some people saying it sometimes freezes.

Some of them have scripting that will detect if it's not MGRAS and complain, but it should allow you to ignore those warnings and still have it work.

Don't even try with a Solid Impact that has no TRAM module on it, it won't work.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:33 am

I'm pretty sure I had it running on my Crimson RE at some point :D
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

computron

Unread postby computron » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:37 am

I'm pretty sure I had it running on my Crimson RE at some point :D

i guess too !!

Cheers

Eve

Devil Master

Unread postby Devil Master » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Krokodil wrote:Certain Impact is just one demo

Isn't it a collection of demos, of which Mekton is one?
Krokodil wrote:Ian's documentation explains that Certain Impact will work on vPro

Ian's web site is huge, where is that documentation?
Krokodil wrote:Don't even try with a Solid Impact that has no TRAM module on it, it won't work.

What are SSI and SSE systems equivalent to?

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:46 am

Devil Master wrote:
Krokodil wrote:Certain Impact is just one demo

Isn't it a collection of demos, of which Mekton is one?
Krokodil wrote:Ian's documentation explains that Certain Impact will work on vPro

Ian's web site is huge, where is that documentation?
Krokodil wrote:Don't even try with a Solid Impact that has no TRAM module on it, it won't work.

What are SSI and SSE systems equivalent to?

No. Certain Impact is a specific demo, it is a WW1 flight "simulation". You fly a biplane, while trying to bomb the train and dogfighting other aircraft. Mekton is another game that can be found on some of the demo disks and possibly on later versions of IRIX, though I don't remember for sure if that was the case or not.

The documentation I was referring to is not actually on the site(that I'm aware of), it came with the "Bonus CD" I got when I bought stuff from Ian.

CertainImpact is a WW1 combat game/demo written to run on Indigo2
IMPACT systems. However, with certain limitations, it can also run
on other SGIs.

The demo runs quite well on an R5200/300 or R10K/250 O2 and very well
on an R12K/400 V6, though note the demo can occasionally freeze up when
running on non-IMPACT systems, probably due to something in the code
which is too IMPACT-specific. Probably the most reliable non-Indigo2
system which can run the demo is an Octane with MXI or MXE graphics.
However, I've played it for some time on many occasions with VPro
systems with no problems.
Last edited by Krokodil on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:27 am

SSI or SSE do not have TRAM. They are what MXI/MXE reports as when the TRAM boards are removed.
The equivalent to High Impact is SI+TRAM (all Octane MGRAS boards, "IMPACTSR" in gfxinfo, accept TRAM).

VPro is VPro, there is no connection to MGRAS/Impact.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:39 pm

Just by way of example Illustrator can't even put up its splash screen on VPro because it's so inextricably linked to MGRAS.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Devil Master

Unread postby Devil Master » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:08 am

Krokodil wrote:No. Certain Impact is a specific demo, it is a WW1 flight "simulation". You fly a biplane, while trying to bomb the train and dogfighting other aircraft.

Then I apologize for the misunderstanding. I'm not interested in that game; I'm interested in this game:

I edited the thread title accordingly.

robespierre wrote:The equivalent to High Impact is SI+TRAM (all Octane MGRAS boards, "IMPACTSR" in gfxinfo, accept TRAM).

I've read references to ESI and ESSI as equivalent to SE and SSE respectively. Are they 100% the same or do they differ in some way (e.g. in accepting TRAM)?
(EDIT: no, they don't, as explained at https://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/IMPACT .)

Devil Master

Re: Which machines are compatible with Mekton?

Unread postby Devil Master » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:51 pm

Okay, I may have found an Octane machine with the right configuration to run Mekton, but I don't know yet what exactly is in its hard drive. In case there's no Mekton installed, can it be downloaded from somewhere?

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:41 pm

Devil Master wrote:I've read references to ESI and ESSI as equivalent to SE and SSE respectively. Are they 100% the same or do they differ in some way (e.g. in accepting TRAM)?

In some cases the names used by Engineering were changed by Marketing. They thought "SSE" sounded cooler than "ESSI".
The "E-" graphics run at a slightly higher speed than non-"E" and require TRAMs rated for faster operation. So TRAMs used in non-"E" machines may or may not work in "E-" graphics.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”